Username Post: Help with embossing mess?        (Topic#1529945)
Tenant

I've just started trying to emboss, the important operative word being "trying". I'm using a Stampabilities Flourishes rubber stamp mounted on one of their clear acrylic stamp blocks on Bazzill paper.

The first problem I had was getting ink on the edges of the stamp. I had to press really hard to get a good stamp which meant that the ink on the edges stamped too. Not lovely.

I bought some stencil daubers and used one of those to apply the ink, avoiding the stamp edges. I could get a respectable stamp that way but the ink was too dry. The embossing powder only stuck to about a quarter of the ink.

I've tried Jet Black Ranger Archival Ink and Stampabilities Embossing Ink Pad (clear) with black Ranger Super Fine Detail embossing powder. The embossing ink holds quite a lot more of the embossing powder but the coverage is still quite spotty.

I tried stamping with and without using the Perfect Printing Pouch.

Is there some sort of slow drying ink that would be better than the stuff I'm using or something else I need to do to get better embossing powder coverage? My results are so poor that I'm guessing I must be doing something incredibly stupid.
Products Referenced in This Post:

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to peraspera

Use the ink pad to apply the ink directly to the stamp. You shouldn't have to press really hard. You might try laying your paper on top of inked stamp, pressing with your fingers and carefully lift off paper.
Use Versamark to emboss with colored powders. Use any color pigment ink to emboss with clear powder. Dye ink won't work.

VersaMark Watermark Stamp Pad - Small Cube

gramak8e
Veteran
gramak8e
In response to runzalot81

With some stamps, you need to "condition" them by rubbing them with a pencil eraser so they take the ink. Its worth a try.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to gramak8e

I also take an exacto knife and trim the stamp edges, so there is less area to pick up and transfer ink to the cardstock. A really sharp scissor works too, just be careful not to cut the actual stamp design or you may damage it.

Tenant
In response to catzscrapper

Use the ink pad to apply the ink directly to the stamp.
I tried both taking the stamp to the pad and the pad to the stamp. The results were equally awful

You shouldn't have to press really hard.
I am not getting anywhere near the coverage I need to show all the detail without pressing hard.

You might try laying your paper on top of inked stamp, pressing with your fingers and carefully lift off paper.
I got a very clear stamp that way but the embossing powder didn't seem to stick as well as stamping normally.

Use Versamark to emboss with colored powders. Use any color pigment ink to emboss with clear powder. Dye ink won't work.
Thanks for letting me know that the dye inks won't work. I've ordered some pigment inks and I will try the Versamark to see if it works any better than the Stampabilities Embossing Ink Pad.

With some stamps, you need to "condition" them by rubbing them with a pencil eraser so they take the ink. Its worth a try.
I had cleaned the stamp with StazOn cleaner, soap and water and then used an eraser on the stamp.

I also take an exacto knife and trim the stamp edges, so there is less area to pick up and transfer ink to the cardstock. A really sharp scissor works too, just be careful not to cut the actual stamp design or you may damage it.
That tip helped tremendously. I just wasn't getting a good stamp without pressing down really hard. Cutting the stamp close to the pattern let me get a solid stamp without the unwanted inked edges.

I couldn't get a good stamp on the textured side of the Bazzill cardstock with the Stampabilities Embossing Ink Pad but I did get respectable results on the smooth side once I trimmed the stamp. I'm hoping that the dye ink pads and the Versamark might work a little better.

I also found that the results weren't as good using the Perfect Printing Pouch as not using it. It seems to dry the clear Stampabilities embossing ink too much. Also, the Perfect Printing Pouch powder is white which leaves an unacceptable white residue on dark colored cardstock even when brushed off well.

A big thanks to everyone who answered. I'll post back if I get better results using the Versamark and pigment inks.

kaykay1010
Diva
kaykay1010
In response to peraspera

I have not problem stamping and embossing with the archival ink. I think you are not using smooth paper. it makes all the difference in the world. Bazzil makes a perfect paper called smoothies.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to peraspera

• peraspera Said:
[
I also found that the results weren't as good using the Perfect Printing Pouch as not using it. It seems to dry the clear Stampabilities embossing ink too much. Also, the Perfect Printing Pouch powder is white which leaves an unacceptable white residue on dark colored cardstock even when brushed off well.

You're not using the Perfect Printing Pouch after you stamp are you? I use this all the time (to prep the area before I stamp) and have success.

Tenant
In response to Here Kitty

I have not problem stamping and embossing with the archival ink. I think you are not using smooth paper. it makes all the difference in the world. Bazzil makes a perfect paper called smoothies.
I tried again, using the Ranger Archival Ink and pressing hard with my trimmed stamp. It worked wonderfully and I even got a bit finer detail than using the clear embossing ink.

For this series of stamps stamping on the textured side of the cardstock actually looks very pretty even though it doesn't stamp perfectly solid in some areas. If I need perfect coverage for large, solid areas I'll look into the smoothies.

You're not using the Perfect Printing Pouch after you stamp are you?
No, but I've done much, much dumber things.

I use this all the time (to prep the area before I stamp) and have success.
When I was stamping with less pressure the Perfect Printing Pouch dried out the ink too quickly. Your post prompted me to try again and I found that, now that I can stamp with more pressure with the trimmed stamp, the Perfect Printing Pouch works perfectly well. It does a fabulous job of preventing stray embossing powder from remaining on the cardstock.

Unfortunately, using the Perfect Printing Pouch isn't an option for dark-colored cardstock as way, way too much of the powder remains, even when I tried to brush it off vigorously with a large, stiff nylon artists brush.

I tried rubbing the cardstock with a dryer sheet but I didn't find it helped with the stray embossing powder problem at all. Happily, I found that spraying the dark-colored cardstock lightly with Scotchgard did the trick very nicely.

I so appreciate all the comments and suggestions. A big thanks to everyone. I'm now getting excellent results even without having the pigment inks and Versamark yet.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to peraspera

That's great! Sounds like Happy Embossing Trails to you!!

kaykay1010
Diva
kaykay1010
In response to catzscrapper

congratulations!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to kaykay1010

You can use the Pouch on DARK cardstock...The Perfect Cleaning Cloth was designed to take off every bit of residue from The Perfect Printing Pouch. It also works great for sanding dust from Core'dinations cardstock, and to pick up glitter and loads more too. And it's washable.

PS I might be misunderstanding but were you saying you were trying to use embossing powder without using pigment or versamark? If you were using dye ink, maybe that's why it wasn't sticking to your ink. I'm sure I must have misunderstaood-so I apoligize if I did.

As for maybe using the pouch after stamping..you aren't dumb at all! Previously, I ALWAYS used it before any ink was applied. But if you use pigment inks and don't want to emboss or have to heatset, you just apply the pouch after stamping and it immediately dries the ink. Then you can overstamp with other colors or stamps right away without smudging, smearing, resisting or mixing the inks. When done, just use The Perfect Cleaning Cloth to wipe away any powdery residue. This use is courtesy of Cathie Allen, a demonstrator for Clearsnap.

FunnyBunnyCrafts
Resident
FunnyBunnyCrafts
In response to scraperfect

I use Martha Stewart's embossing stamp pad and embossing powder. The pad is clear and dries slow. I get really great results with it!

Edited by FunnyBunnyCrafts on 03-11-10 07:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to FunnyBunnyCrafts

The Color Box pigment inks arrived today and I tested the black Ranger Super Fine Detail embossing powder using yellow ink. The ink stamped nicely and the black ink embossing powder covered completely without so much as a smidge of yellow showing through.

Offhand I don't notice that the pigment inks do any better holding the embossing powder than the Ranger archival ink but both results are excellent.

You can use the Pouch on DARK cardstock...The Perfect Cleaning Cloth was designed to take off every bit of residue from The Perfect Printing Pouch. It also works great for sanding dust from Core'dinations cardstock, and to pick up glitter and loads more too. And it's washable.

Thanks for telling me about The Perfect Cleaning Cloth, which appears to be a fine microfiber cloth. I tried something similar I use for other things and it did a much better job of removing the Perfect Printing Pouch powder so I'll order The Perfect Cleaning Cloth to use for stamping purposes.

PS I might be misunderstanding but were you saying you were trying to use embossing powder without using pigment or versamark? If you were using dye ink, maybe that's why it wasn't sticking to your ink. I'm sure I must have misunderstaood-so I apoligize if I did.

I was using Ranger Archival ink and Stampabilities Ink Pad. The main problem was needing to trim the stamp so I could stamp harder rather than the ink being the issue.

I use Martha Stewart's embossing stamp pad and embossing powder. The pad is clear and dries slow.

I might pick up some with the Versamark the next time I go to the craft store.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful tips and encouragement.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics