Username Post: Family History Project        (Topic#1530167)
DanielIam
New Kid On the Block
DanielIam

Hi I am new here and I want to start a scrapbook to go along with my family history research for those who do not want to look at just some pages with names and dates and that. I would like to get some feed back from some of you who have done or are doing this one ideas to get started. Also did any of you start with one of the kits or did you start from scratch?
The other question I have is what kind of binder do you find most effective for this kind of project if you want to include things like notes and things like that also?
Products Referenced in This Post:

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3
In response to DanielIam

I haven't done this personally, but my granddad's niece did one for our family. It's not exactly a scrapbook, but more of a history/photo album. She started from scratch. She made copies of all the family history and old photos she could find and put them in chronological order. Then she put them all in page protectors and put them in a huge 3 ring binder. She made several copies for various people in our family. Someday I would like to go back and make it more into a scrapbook, but it's huge and that would be a very intimidating project for me. Good luck with yours!!!

DanielIam
New Kid On the Block
DanielIam
In response to beccaboo3

Thank you. I am working on one of those also. This one though I want to make something that those who will not pick up the one with all the charts and that with look at. There are more people willing to pick up a scrapbook in my family and look at it. The one like what you are talking about I am going to set aside for those few that will look at it. That is a great idea though and one worth doing!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to DanielIam

I am in the process of starting a family heritage scrapbook..am thinking that a 3 ring "D' binder would be nice so I can do my scrapbook pages in a 12x12 and put in notes and such in 8.5 x 11 page protectors. AND it makes it easier to rearrange.

I did something similar with my dd's Europe Semester, had scrapbook pages of the pics, but used her notes from a journal and blog and various tickets and stuff in the smaller pages.

Because the side of the family I am working on is Japanese, I am using a DCWV Far East Stack..makes it easy for me to choose and coordinate papers. They also have an 'Old World' stack that would be great for a European heritage album

under the challenge forum is a Heritage Challenge if you want to check out some scrapbooked pages.

DanielIam
New Kid On the Block
DanielIam
In response to mjmone

I am thinking of using the Ancestry themed stuff. Our family is Scottish and it is not going to be easy to find a lot of heritage themes with a Celtic or Scottish theme I think. I like what you are saying about doing this in a D ring. It makes since for a lot of reasons with my family.

lilyrose
Pro
lilyrose
In response to DanielIam

I use top loading 12x12 or 12x15 scrapbooks for my heritage albums. I worked mostly from scratch. I have some chart pages. I usually start with a genealogical chart as the first page and start with my daughter and work backwards or start with my gggrandparents and work forward. I have one each started for my maternal grandmother and grandfathers family and 1 for my family. I have a few photos in my gallery here. Good luck with your project :.

Crankylady
Veteran
Crankylady
In response to DanielIam

My MIL's parents came from Italy through Ellis Island, so i treacked some stuff through that for her. I copied pictures of her family members and just told of their journey to America and where they settled for a few pages. I went onto Google images and brought up pictures of things to use in my pages, wine bottles and such. You might find things like that to help you. With white card stock and a color printer they come out quite nice, and I cut them out with cuticle scissors(the curved edges help). She is 90 yrs old, so I went from her parents to present day, giving each of her 6 kids a page of their own(baby pics). I waited for almost a year to get pics from one son, I only had one of him, I finally decided to go ahead and give her the book with just one picture of him. I left a piece of cardstock on his page saying"still waiting for another picture", hoping to shame him into action when he saw the book. I kept the theme of travel throughout the book, the family still loves to travel, although today the reason is for pleasure, that man long ago instilled that desire in all of us. I have a 2 page layout of about 80 pics all cropped in together in my gallery, all friends, family, neighbors, I call it my wow page, that what everyone says when they see it. And I kept extra pages in the back to add pics sent from kids and g-kids of their recent travel. I also did extra journaling on the back of the pages for future generations. Good luck Ck out that pic in my gallery, great way to use lots of pics!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Crankylady

After over 35 years I just found my sister! My other sister has been using Ancestory.com which does a family tree, but you can also add pictures. I think it will depend on how far you want to go back. My mom had started the family tree, and went back 17 generations just on her side. Now my sister took it over and started on my biological fathers side. In just over a month, she has added 64 family names and 174 families... I think what she is going to do is print it out and have it bound in a little 8 x 11 book. However, you can go on and on and on and on....
Good luck with it all!

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to DanielIam

I'm in the middle of making one for my sister. I've been trying all different things. I have one double LO of my DS in her class pic. from the 1960's and that's paired with my mom's from the 1930's. Some pages have journaling on top and for others, I made "tabs" to pull out that have info. I have a couple in my gallery, but none of the ones where I used paper that is specifically meant for "Family History". There's LOTS of paper out there just for that purpose-- EVERYTIME I come across some-- I HAVE to buy it! I plan on making Family History albums for my sons too-- so I'm SURE I'll get a chance to use it all. (One can never have too much paper!)

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to leslief

It's going to be fun, I can tell you that. And yes, it is an artistic process, so there's no real 'wrongs'.

I've done my family tree, done some pure journalling pages of the family legends, I did a 7 page spread just on WWII themed lo's...I basically group pics together according to a similar theme or particular groups of people and work on that for a while. I started out with one album and over time have split them.

I just separated everything having to do with my mom into her own album. Since she's has alzheimer's, I've themed all her lo's in combinations of purple (the alzheimer's ribbon color) with the intention of displaying it.

Another album is my inlaws which is for my daughter...that one includes those WWII lo's I mentioned.

My father's family is huge, so that's another separate album.

If you can't find items for your scottish themes, I've found that you can always create what you need!

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to RockStar

I also started scrapbooking mostly because I wanted to do a family heritage album and I have been looking at all the heritage layouts posted here for inspiration. There are some really great ones. I like the blingy and flowery ones, but for pictures that don't really go with flowers and bling there really great embellishments and layout techniques to use. You can look at the challenges - usually the first page has all the layouts entered - and you can search the gallery for "heritage" as a keyword.

I must admit that I haven't posted any layouts yet, because I am still very insecure about my work. I think my layouts are too simple and some of them really feel unfinished, but I also have come to what I think is a good idea. I am "leaving room" for future journaling on some pages where I just don't know enough to do a layout justice right now. I am hoping that with time family members will help me out with stories and names so that I can complete my pages. I also like the idea of hidden journaling, especially when I can't add any right now.

scrapdolly66
Resident
scrapdolly66
In response to TFCasper

No LO is too simple. We all learn from each other. I too felt mine were simple. But when you post a LO you can also ask for tips and opinions. That's how we learn. Remember, there is no right or wrong. In fact, posting uncompleted LO will help you. Beginers will see pages in progress and season scrappers could offer you advice if you ask. That's a great thought. Post partially completed pages and make is a collaborated effort.

New Kid On the Block
In response to DanielIam

I would try: [www.heritagescrap.com or www.ScrapbookScrapbook.com. they both have sections for Scotish/Irish ancestry.. Also Aon.com has a good selection of graphics, ie. knotwork, how to make your own. Thanks, Djballew

New Kid On the Block
In response to djballew

This project sounds like a lot of fun, but definately time consuming! I had started one from the kits, but quickly learned that I needed help from other family members, perhaps have one of your family members each do one page and put them all together. Good Luck!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics