Username Post: How do you keep glitter from rubbing off?        (Topic#1530785)
vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi

Hi fellow scrapbookers...

I just made a layout and decided last minute to use glitter for the title. So I used Zip Dry glue, sprinkled with glitter, and now it is drying.

However I'm worried the glitter won't stay on or will rub off on other pages. I didn't really think it through before using it and now it's done so I want to find a way to make it work. My book doesn't use page protectors so the pages touch.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the glitter from rubbing off once I put the page in my book? I found things like Sealers but I didn't know if that was what I wanted.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to vivasuzi

I often add crystal laquer, diamond glaze, or some other dimensional adhesive over the glitter to help it set.

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to Nancy Keslin

Stamping Up sells something called Heat and Stick....you apply Versamark, then Heat and Stick, heat with heat gun, add glitter and reheat with gun and it sticks good!!!!!!!!!!!

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to gg loves Matthew

Diamond glaze or glossy accents works well.

Edited by scrappycath on 03-18-10 03:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to scrappycath

I just use a clear acrylic semi-gloss sealer spray found in the craft section at WM. Its only a couple of dollars and lasts for a long time.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to StarsNSparkles

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll look for the semi-gloss sealer spray or try one of the products scrappycath listed. The Heat and stick won't work this time since I already put the glitter on and now just want to seal it in.

Thanks!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to vivasuzi

I have been using glitter for yrs. I asked this of my scrapclub which has lots of people that have been using glitter for years. One person said they use sealer but the other 10 said they never do & have no problems. I have a layout i n my gallery of Cinderellas castle & the castle is total glitter on pg 2 & I did not seal it. As I am making it, I take a SU dauber brush & brush off excess glitter. When I am done, I lightly tap it from the back to remove all excess glitter if there is any. hth

Edited by anda11 on 03-18-10 04:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to anda11

It's the glue. Most glues have their special forte- (Zip Dry works great for paper if you can stand the smell and those strings.) You can use a Glossy Accents/ Dimensional Adhesive type glue over the glitter and it will totally work because it seals it in like an acrylic coating but it will look different. Good-but different!

I use The "BEST GLUE EVER". Great for glitter (and about everything else) and has a fine writing tip so you can draw with it before the glitter (The blue flower was drawn with the glue and sprikled with glitter.)

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to scraperfect

Yeah I found that zip dry wasn't the best idea for glitter, even though it said it's good for glitter on it's advertising. I wish I would have came here to ask before using it. It was a bit difficult because of the strings, so I could only "write" on letter at a time to avoid it. But it's not horrible, I used a pencil to rearrange the glitter so it can be read, now I just need to seal it in so it stays.

The Best Glue ever sounds good! I'll add it to my wish list for next time I use glitter. Currently I don't use glitter that much but I would like to more. Thanks!!

ps: any tips on what kind of glitter to use?

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to anda11

I am worried it will wipe off because every time I touch it some comes off. I haven't tried to brush off excess though, mostly b/c i was a bit worried it would all brush off. I will give that a try but still plan to seal it somehow so it doesn't scratch the pictures on the other page that it closes onto.

Thanks for the tips!

Crazydiamond
Diva
Crazydiamond
In response to vivasuzi

My favorite glitter is Martha Stewart. It super fine and just gorgeous. There are LOTS of colors available. I haven't had any luck with her glues, at least not the glue pad, but diamond glaze has always worked for me. I always do a coat below the glitter and then seal it with glaze as well. The glaze takes away a little of the glitter shine but it definitely doesn't go anywhere.

I am really interested in trying heat & stick powder and that Best Glue Ever sounds pretty cool!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to vivasuzi

Suzi, I forgot to tell you what kind of glue I use. I use the Sakura quickie glu pen. It is a pen size tip. You can make it go bigger That is what I used on my Castle which was pretty big. My friends use their zyron too. They sell the quckie glue pen here for about 3. I am sorry for the misspelled words, I am in pain

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to anda11

I saw the Martha Stewart glitter and did think it looked nice. I'll buy some for my collection

I just purchased the Judikins that someone suggested above b/c I found it on Amazon and I have some Amazon gift cards to burn through. But if it doesn't work out I'll try the diamond glaze next.

Anda, thanks for the additional glue suggestions I will keep that in mind if the other things I bought don't work out. Thanks and sorry you are in pain!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to vivasuzi

Not to hijack the thread here, but...

I just bought Zip Dry (after seeing so many people here loving it).

I think IT IS RUBBER CEMENT! Am I crazy?

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to Bxr-Linda

Bxr-Linda, I thought the same thing! But the good thing is that it cleans up really easily and comes off my hands easily We used rubber cement a long time ago in projects for school and I remember it being a little more rubbery and Zip Dry is more liquidy and takes longer to dry... I think! I don't remember exactly since it's been awhile since I used Rubber Cement.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to vivasuzi

I have some Martha Stewart decoupage I use over large glittered pieces, but it takes soooo long to dry. Mod Podge would work, too. For smaller pieces, like letters for titles, I use Glossy Accents. I can't seem to find Diamond Glaze anywhere but here.

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to BlingQueenRia

Thanks Bling Queen. I can handle long drying time as long as it works But we'll see if the Judikins I bought works first.

All the responses I'm getting makes me think I really need to beef up my collection! There isn't 1 glue that works for everything, so I should really start asking on here BEFORE I do a project next time

vivasuzi
Tenant
vivasuzi
In response to vivasuzi

Ok I got the Judikins in the mail today (was sitting out there when I got home, just didn't realize it until now!)

I tested it straight out of the bottle and it's too thick, so I want to mix it with water to thin it out, as is stated on the side of the bottle.

But I want tips so I do this right. How much water? Any other tips?

I'm off to find a paintbrush Thanks for your tips!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics