Username Post: Stamping on Napkins        (Topic#1531143)
New Kid On the Block

I'm new to the forums and hope this hasn't been asked before in some other way, if so just direct me in the right direction!

I'm planning my wedding and had the great idea to stamp my own paper napkins! I found a great floruish from Autumn Leaves ( Link ) it's layered. Also a pretty alphabet to stamp our initials ( Link ).

My concerns:
I want to use some dark and some light colored napkins (of course contrasting ink colors for each). I don't want ink wiping off on people's hands and faces! I've done some research and found waterproof inks, but the colors aren't vibrant enough for me and I don't know how well they will layer. Should I use pigment inks? Will they be permanent if I heat set them? Can I heat set the first stamp, stamp over it, and heat set again - will this come out ok?

GreenDragonLady
Expert
GreenDragonLady
In response to LeilaLeigh

Have you tried Stazon? That comes in several colors, and I don't think it would wipe off (I would test it, of course!)

And welcome to the forum!

New Kid On the Block
In response to GreenDragonLady

I looked at it in the store, it says it doesn't work well on fabric, you think it will be ok on paper napkins?

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom

Paper napkins are very porous.
If you stamp on them, they will look good for a while but I would think that any ink used would eventually bleed and blur.

This happens also when you stamp on coffee filters. Looks good for a while and then the image bleeds and blurs.

You would have to experiment with some and then wait a few days to see what would happen.

Now stamping on some fabric napkins would fair better but that is a more expensive alternative unless you could find some in bulk somewhere.

New Kid On the Block
In response to PokeyMom

I picked up some stazon ink and clear stamps today (see below, thanks for the PM!). I'm using purple ink on a white napkin and the image isn't as crisp and rich as I wanted it to be. should I try pigment ink? I read through your website, very helpful! my main concern here is not having ink come off on people's hands and faces, which is why I chose the stazon ink. But I'd like to have my cake and eat it too (ink that doesn't come off when wet and a crisp image)

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

don't use pigment ink, it may come off when the napkin are used. Water soluble inks will also come off if the napkins are wetted. Stazon sounds like it's going to be your best bet.

The reason it's not clear is probably because of the napkin and not the ink itself. Stazon usually has a very clear precise image.

kaykay1010
Diva
kaykay1010
In response to Here Kitty

They are now making an ink for clear stamps, maybe that won't bleed as much....I don't know aobut being water soluble or not though?

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to kaykay1010

I would suggest trying The Perfect Printing Pouch before stamping. It makes the ink crisp and bold and stops bleeding. I know it's been used on napkins before INKJET printing to stop bleeding and used before StaZon on acrylic to get a crisper image so it just might do the trick before Stazon on napkins.

(Maybe Amy can try it since she's a stamper and also uses The Perfect Printing Pouch...)

Ashley_Jenna
Resident
Ashley_Jenna
In response to scraperfect

I stamped napkins for our wedding. I heat embossed them and they didn't come off when they were wet and look just as crisp as ever.

http://brideonbudget.blogspot.com/2010/01/embossed-cock ...

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics