Username Post: Creating a Cancer Scrapbook?        (Topic#1531153)
Tenant

I recently found out that I have cancer and I am currently awaiting surgery. I really want to create a cancer scrapbook, but I am a little lost at what to include. Ideas that I have come up with: how i found out, kind of cancer, doctors apts and testing, day of surgery, recovery, radiation treatment. I figure this will be a journalling intensive book, but what other things could I include?

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-24-10 09:49 AM
In response to Terri06

Just wanted to say I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with cancer. I was diagnosed with Leukemia back in September. I am still going through treatment. I started a 9 x 9 book for it. I havent done a lot in my book yet. I did a page with all my different hospital bracelets. I will be doing ones for the 2 differnt hospitals I have been in and the outpatient center I go to. Also over on the NSBR section there is a group for people with cancer/who have friends or family with cancer. I think it is called Cancer sucks!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Hev

First off, you need a bit old What a scary thing to hear and even think about. Wishing you strength and hope!

What about a page for the friends you meet along the journey? My FIL met lots of people during his radiation treatments. My MIL talks about how she actually misses some of the people she met while waiting on him to finish treatment, and he mentions off this or that person who touched him while he was there. You could also do a page about your caregivers...the docs, nurses, techs, etc.

I'd plan on a few pages to journal about the transitions, too (the periods between treatment steps). I work at a hospital and we recently completed a study on breast cancer. The transition periods involved lots of different feelings that some women weren't expecting.

Family reactions and support could be another page or more.

A page of hope - detail the things that helped you pull through, no matter how small.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you and

Tenant
In response to Terri06

Thank you all for your encouragement and ideas. I can't wait to get started on this, I have been writting ideas down all day.

Madimom_04
Resident
Madimom_04
In response to Terri06

I was diagnosed in December with Thyroid Cancer and had radiation treatment in February. It was only stage one and hopefully, I will only have the one treatment, but I took my camera everywhere. Even to get body scans. The techs kinda looked at me funny. I just explained that I am a scrapbooker. They kinda laughed and even offered to take pics for me. My book will be a lot of journaling. My duaghter is only 5 and my mom passed away when I was 21. There are a lot of things unanswered about her health. I want to make sure my daughter understands.

Good Luck!

Tenant
In response to Madimom_04

I too have thyroid cancer. I'm glad to hear that your's was only stage one, and I hope you don't have to endure any more treatments. That's one thing that I wish I would have done up until now - I had the camera with me in my purse (it is always with me), but I never thought to take it out and use it. I have been through many ultrasounds, xrays, CT scans, and a biopsy so far - i will have to remember to take pictures! I have been really good about journalling everything up to this point, every test, result, and emotion.

Expert
In response to Terri06

Sounds like you are already doing the one suggestion I was going to make--writing things down now, as they happen so you don't forget. I've never been through anything like this; the only thing semi-close (and so not really...) was when I had my first baby, I just happened to write everything down the day after he was born and I'm so glad I did because a few months later when I started scrapbooking I would never have remembered half of it!

Good luck

~Alma Scrapera~
Expert
~Alma Scrapera~
In response to HuskerMom98

Hugs!

I am an ovarian cancer survivor and want to make a cancer scrapbook too. Hmm... maybe you could do something similar to the Today scrapbook layouts of Ali Edwards. You may not have the energy to do complicated layouts... but then again you may need them to keep your mind off things.

I bought a quickutz die that can be used for cancer ribbon. I plan on using it for my book. I also have lots of cards from that time I want to keep in my book. I regret not taking many photos during that time. I thought people might find it tacky if I took a photo of my bald head, but now I wish I had at least one to show how far I've come.

Good luck with your book and your fight!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to ~Alma Scrapera~

I am a grandmother of a 6 year old leaukemia survivor. McKynna was diagnosed at 3.5 she is now 6.5 those 1/2 years are pretty important to children.
I could not even bring myself to take any pics ever at any time during her treatment. I would always think that I would never forget these horrible moments and that I did not need to have pictures to remind me of them.
Today I feel different. I am grateful for the pictures. I had used them for others adults that did not want to fight for their lifes. I have shared her journey with many and made many friends on this forum.
Her life has touched so many. Many that we will never know.
Yes I do have some regrets of not getting as many pics. I am grateful for the pics that were taken because as she get older she will see what a brave and blessed little girl she is. She will see that God was very incredible when our prayers were answered.
Not only was she diagnosed with leukemia but 4 weeks later on 07-04 she had an emergency appendectomy. Again her life was spared her doctors figure that she had a ruptured appendix for 7 to 10 days. She was in agonizing pain. She cried herself to sleep day and night when know no one could ease her pain and she was pure exhausted.
So do take those pics do right those journals. Stay focused and know the many blessings that are out there.
Today we are stronger than yesterday and we are continually reminded to be humbled each and every day. Nothing is so precious at that which we are given with the gift of life.
Stay strong and share your journey. Tell others and know the power of prayer.
If you want to see there alots of pictures in my gallery. She was a trooper and still a pistol and her brothers made incredible sacrifices and they are just awesome.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics