Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Ribbon organization        (Topic#1531405)
Suzanne S
Veteran
Suzanne S

Hi, there! I was wondering what is your favorite method for organizing ribbon?? I have a big box of tangled ribbon!! LOL

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Suzanne S

I am trying out one of the bags with holes that you pull the ribbon thru so you can see it all hanging off the sides of the bag... I did it by color, and seem to be using more ribbon then when I had it on cardboard spools in a plastic box I still have the really wide stuff on rolls in a big plastic box.

I've also thought about metal book rings around vintage wooden pants handers -- I'm thinking you could tie it to the rings with a larkshead knot. I would have this for ribbon storage in my scraproom. I like the bag cause you can take it to crops easy. And its eye candy!

I have a friend who used to roll it on empty tp rolls. (green free recycling)

Edited by DaisyButton on 03-28-10 01:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to DaisyButton

I love the look of a ribbon ring because it adds so much colour to your scraproom. Here's mine:

Bookself By Mercytiara

But here's a much more impressive one:
Really big ribbon ring!

I also like the look of them separated by colour:
Fave embelli By Northernmemories

I find keeping mine on the ring reminds me to use them, and I just keep a pair of scissors nearby so I can go over and snip some off as I need it. I keep my scraps that are too small for a ring in a glass jar on my shelf.

I also like the make-up bag type thingy with the holes in it to pull ribbon through, but the rings work better for me as I have to use as much wall space as possible.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to mercytiara

I broke down and purchased the clip it up ribbon organizer. Couldn't stand the mess anymore. It also opened up a bunch of shelf space.
Products Referenced in This Post:

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal

I'm almost down with organizing all my ribbon. I've wound them around clothes pins and am storing them by color in glass jars. I have them lined up across the top of my storage cubes. I love it! I can see all the different things I have. I can just carry a jar to my table and turn it to see all the different varieties of ribbon that I have. The only problem I've found is that I have discovered I have way too much purple ribbon! I had to split it into light purple and dark purple jars.

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to LilacGal

• LilacGal Said:
I'm almost down with organizing all my ribbon. I've wound them around clothes pins and am storing them by color in glass jars. I have them lined up across the top of my storage cubes. I love it! I can see all the different things I have. I can just carry a jar to my table and turn it to see all the different varieties of ribbon that I have. The only problem I've found is that I have discovered I have way too much purple ribbon! I had to split it into light purple and dark purple jars.

I do this, too. I love seeing how pretty the ribbon looks in my jars. It also looks very neat wound around the clothespins, instead of just stuck loosely in the jar (my former way of storing it).

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to CraftyCandace

Ribbon Jar - http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/20 08...

galoosh
Veteran
galoosh
In response to LilacGal

I like the wrapping the scraps around a wooden clothespin and putting them all in a glass jar. It's very colorful. I found the idea in the Gallery somewhere. Also, in the Video section there is a demo of a new tool for ribbon storage that looked pretty cool.

I couldn't find the pic of the ribbon jar, but here is the link to the winding and storage tool...
Ribbon Spooler and Despenser
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by galoosh on 03-28-10 10:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to galoosh

I have the Ribbon purse...it's pretty good, you need to make sure you rool the ribbon up and pull the inside piece of the roll through to holes or the ribbon gets tangled inside. I have two of them, it holds decent amoutn of ribbon and easy to transport.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-28-10 08:32 AM
In response to Suzanne S

I sed to have mine in the little crafts bags you can get at walmart. Then they were in the snap together cases so I could take them to crops. Now that I have my own scrap room I got some boxes from ACM 3 are just rectangle with lids and 3 are like suitcases. I dumped my ribbon baggies in the biggest one. I could take it with me if I went somewhere but if I went to a crop I would probably dump them back in the snap together containers, as the suitcase box is made out of paper. I find that seeing the ribbon doesnt really make me use it more as I tend to be a ribbon user anyway!

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to Hev

I need to take some of these ideas as I always forget about all my ribbon when I SB.

Where I used to work, I had all of my ribbon in these cute little snap containers (from the container store, I think) and each spool had a hole for the ribbon to come thru...but I had so much I would have to keep buying the containers and I think they were like 10 dollars a peice.

Tiffany

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal
In response to Hev

• Hev Said:
I find that seeing the ribbon doesnt really make me use it more as I tend to be a ribbon user anyway!

I think that's why seeing it helps me so much. I'm not much of a ribbon user. I'm becoming more of one now though!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to LilacGal

I think your ribbon storage really depends upon your personality type;) Mine is stored in a left brained anal long flat basket wound tightly around white ribbon holders and is stored according to colors or holidays/themes. I can see every piece right away and I know if I need more of a specific color right away. I can also just throw the color I need into my crop bag in about 2 seconds. I have a picture in my gallery. My style works great for me. My crop buddy uses the rings (many many rings)because she has thousands of ribbons and sells them at crops. She is one of those right brained hippies! (Love her to pieces!)

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to 950nancy

I store my longer ribbons on rings (so they won't ravel), as well as in teacups (raveled) & MM jars (loosely/unraveled), not only so that I can see them, but also just because they are really pretty!

Lastly, I store my smaller remnants in clear plastic orbs.

Note: I store all of the above by color.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-28-10 09:46 AM
In response to LilacGal

I use so much and have som much ribbon, that my oldest dd says it has its own zipcode. We wont discuss my buttons! lol

Suzanne S
Veteran
Suzanne S
In response to Hev

Thank you for all your suggestions!!!! Now to decide! LOL

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Suzanne S

I like to get the floss cards from HL's or M's embroidery section. I wind the ribbon around the cards, and arrange them in a divided bead box in ROY G. BIV order (order of the rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet). This works quite well when I'm going to crops, which I started going to last month. Just throw the box in the bag and go!

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to CraftyCandace

Thanks for the link!
Cool Blog Article!

leslief
Idol
leslief

Please don't laugh at this question, BUT-- when you have your ribbon out in the open, doesn't it get dusty?? I REALLY like the idea of having it out, but there are so many that I probably only use once a year (if even that often).

mercyrose
Expert
mercyrose

this is quite an exceptional ribbon collections

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics