Username Post: Expedit shelving units        (Topic#1531415)
branches
Pro
branches

Hi! I looking for people out there that have the
Expedit Shelving units from Ikea. How do you like it for storage in scrap areas? Will it hold things in one cube such as a cuttlebug and box for embossing folders? Tell me what you like and DON'T like about them please. Am looking at getting some very soon, but thought this would be a great place to research them! THANKS in advance! Kathy

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-28-10 07:33 AM
In response to branches

The only thing I don't like about them is that I have to drive over 2 hours to get them, lol. Yes one cube would definately hold a cuttlebug and a box for embossing folders. I have the 5 tall one that is only 1 square wide. 4 of the cubes I have albums (a cube will hold 5 dring albums). I also have the 8 cube one. In that one I have 2 cubes that each have 4 of their cd holder size boxes. One has 3 of their magazine holders and my page maps book. Another has 4 2 inch binders and 2 12 x 12 sets of fancy pants stamps. One has a rubbermaid bucket with all my kits in it. They are well worth the price I think. And pretty easy to assemble.

branches
Pro
branches
In response to Hev

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think. Hope to hear from more of you out there. Understand what you mean lol!!! Ikea is about 2 hrs. for me too!! Does your gallery have photo's of the Expedit Shelves in photo's??? Looking for streamline storage that will keep things organized and yet visable. Just feel like I have too many places with "my treasures" spread out. Would like to look and see almost all of it at one time. Do you know what I mean? Half of my area is bedroom (guest) as well. kathy

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 03-28-10 08:36 AM
In response to branches

Glad I could help! I'm sure others will be along soon. I do not have pictures up yet because I just recently got my own room and it is still a work in progress.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 03-28-10 09:11 AM
In response to Hev

Not mine, but an image of one with lots of scrappy stuff on the shelves. http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?m=image& id=260682...

Lots of scrappers here use the Expedit shelves. If you do a gallery search for Expedit, you'll get around 100 images from scraprooms.

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/

I have Ikea Expedit shelves, but not the one you're referring to. I don't have a pic of it in my gallery. Sorry.

Memaoftwo
Idol
Memaoftwo
In response to IzzyB

I have a few of them for the girls toys and they are fabulous!!!! Only thing I don't like it that the black/brown one scratches easily. I don't seem to have this problem with the birch. They are awesome for storage!!!!!

branches
Pro
branches
In response to Hev

Thanks.....I'll be looking forward to your posting you new room

branches
Pro
branches
In response to Memaoftwo

Thanks for the info....the black/brown is what I'm looking at, but no little ones in this area to worry about with scratching. Appreciate that caution though. Glad to hear you like them.

branches
Pro
branches
In response to IzzyB

Thanks for the info! I'll be searching this evening....am going to put up a couple sample colors on the wall now. Greatly appreciate you filling me in on this. WOW....looks like if March Madness is boring, I'll have alot to look at!

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to branches

There was a thread a while back about IKEA bookshelves, both the Expedit and the Billy bookshelves were discussed. There were quite a few pics of the Expedit shelves:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15285...

I posted my pics there too... I hope I'm not repeating myself, I love how sturdy and versatile the Expedit is. I am very glad I got the drawers, they are perfect for storing acrylic paints, inks and other items like that.

Renovated Scrap Corner 2 By Jellyziva

The only catch is that the shelf is heavy, so make sure you know where you'll put it And the Cropper Hopper for 12x12 papers won't fit (slightly big). However, I read somewhere that these horizontal paper shelves should work:

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to jellyziva

I have an Expedite and I love it. I also like to put those self adhesive felt or foam circles on the bottom of things I place on top of My Expedite to avoid and Scratches,,So far that has worked for me. My Expedite By Armygirl

Edited by armygirl on 03-30-10 11:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

branches
Pro
branches
In response to jellyziva

Thanks for telling me that the 12x12 cropper hopperr won't work! That's what I have my paper in and just purchased another one last week. That's a bummer.

LRMemorylane
Resident
LRMemorylane
In response to branches

Kathy, I started a thread about Expedit bookcases in Feb, and was pleased with all the positive response. I took a trip to San Francisco and went to an IKEA store to see them in person. They are strongly made, look more expensive then they are. The brown/black one looks really nice, and is my personal choice. My CM 12x12T albums will fit perfectly, as well as the cuttle bug you questioned about. Not sure exactly, but each cubby measures 13 1/4" aproximately, so lots of our stuff will fit. The optional 'doors' hide things, and the drawers are nicely made too. I can't wait to purchase these bookcases, but the closest IKEA is in Utah. I am in CO. Good luck! Lori

gg  loves Matthew
Queen
gg  loves Matthew
In response to LRMemorylane

I have one and I cut the tops of the cropper hopper paper holders down a bit since they are actually larger than 12 x 12 paper and they fit fine.

The one thing I dislike about the unit is that it has no back on it so you have to make sure things don't fall behind it.

As others said they are heavy and I think if you take it apart to move it say to a new house or something it would be hard to put back together. But they are inexpensive and do hold lots.

HollyD
HollyD 
Mayor
HollyD
In response to gg loves Matthew

I also put my cropper hoppers in it. With a good pair of scissors, they aren't hard to cut down. Remove about half an inch, and they fit great. Of course, if you have the dividers, you have to cut them down too. But once it's done, they're wonderful!! Plus they don't fall over!!

You can put a back on it if you want to. Go to a home depot or Lowe's. Buy the wood and have them cut it to size for you. Get some paint (for an even cooler effect, paint it multiple colors that match your scrap room!!) and once it's painted or stained, attach it to the back.

jellyziva
Governor
jellyziva
In response to gg loves Matthew

• gg loves Matthew Said:
I have one and I cut the tops of the cropper hopper paper holders down a bit since they are actually larger than 12 x 12 paper and they fit fine.

The one thing I dislike about the unit is that it has no back on it so you have to make sure things don't fall behind it.

As others said they are heavy and I think if you take it apart to move it say to a new house or something it would be hard to put back together. But they are inexpensive and do hold lots.

Great idea! I need a good pair of scissors.. which I don't have now... for now I housed them in the kids' bookshelves which is in the same room... it works out well too....

I like Kittymama's idea about getting a backing too. I had it against the wall and everything was in boxes so it was ok.. but yeah..otherwise, that can be done!

branches
Pro
branches
In response to jellyziva

Thanks everyone! This has been very helpful and think I'll be getting some. Greatly appreciate all the feedback!

8supermum
Idol
8supermum
In response to branches

I loooooooooooooooooooooooo ve expedit units - all my kids have them in their rooms too..

If you look in my gallery in the scraprooms I have pics, I just got the desk that fits on too...I love them.....My dh even made a smaller version to fit in the 5x5 to put all my smaller boxes....

And we always buy the bargain centre ones and we've put them up and taken them down quite often.,so when you move they go easily....

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics