Username Post: Dry Embossing Question        (Topic#1531751)
ccomrie23
Veteran
ccomrie23

Ladies, can anyone explain to me how to dry emboss? I've look at some tutorials with the light boxes and styluses, but is how it is done when someone dry embosses the entire background of a card. For some reason, I thought you could use the large background stamps. Thanks for your advice.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ccomrie23

to dry emboss the background for a card, you can do several things:
1- sizzix/cuttlebug with embossing folders/plates
2- stylus with plates
3- (haven't done this but someone posted it) pasta roller with folders

The only way to emboss with a stamp is to use ink, embossing powder, and a heat gun.

Does this help at all?

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to ccomrie23

most likely they are using an embossing folder. There are several brands out there that emboss an entire card background. I have used the cuttlebug ones and love them. Dry embossing is simply creating a raised surface out of the paper. "wet" embossing or regular embossing is using a stamped image (you can find very large backgroud stamps, too) that is stamped with versamark then embossing powders are sprinkled on top. The card is then shook and the remaining unstuck powder is removed. Then a heat gun is applied to the stuck powder which melts is and creates a raised image - super cool looking!! Hope that helps!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to nancyhyland

What the above posters said is exactly right! I did want to chime in and say I LOVE my Cuttlebug and that's what I use to emboss all of my cards. HTH!

MindyO
MindyO 
Veteran
MindyO
In response to CraftyCandace

I was so excited to get that Sizzix Texture Boutique, it was a nicer price than the diecutting machines (since I have a cricut, I didn't need a diecutter) - and now I can do the dry embossing I was so envious of.

nancyhyland
Idol
nancyhyland
In response to ccomrie23

sorry it posted twice

Edited by hiscrappergirl on 03-31-10 05:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to nancyhyland

Dry embossing is awesome!!!! I had a sizzix sitting in my closet doing nothing since I had a cricut, so I yanked it out and VOILA,,,,dry embossing was MINEEEEEEE. It takes literally SECONDS to emboss an A2 card size, and it's LOADS of fun,,,,

warning though,,,,it's addictive, lol,,,,fortunately, those A2 size embossing folders are pretty cheap

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to CommaHolly

they're even cheaper if you use coupons on them! That's how I got my stash of like 20+

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Seaexplore

I've been collecting for a week,,,,and I already have TEN!!

I have another coupon for 25% off my entire purchase for Friday I'm buying more!

ummmmmm I am addicted, lol,,,

I want a sizzix one that they have, but it comes in a set of two, and I already HAVE the cuttlebug swiss dots one that looks EXACTLY LIKE one of them if I'd seen the set FIRST I'd have bought that one,dangitall!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to CommaHolly

I love my texture boutique! .......I already had a cricut so the boutique was perfect for me .....I have several folders including 4 that just do a strip or border .....I highly recommend a syatem that uses the folders ....which ever you choose you wont regret it!

ccomrie23
Veteran
ccomrie23
In response to melissadam

Thank you so much ladies. I think I will look into getting a texture boutique. Do you all know if they sell them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? (so I could use a coupon....lol)

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to ccomrie23

I love to dry emboss. I'm waiting for a Cuttlebug that I won from ebay, but in the past I have used a Fiskars Cardboss template and a embossing pen. I have a light box and it is one of those things I NEVER use, IMO a waste of money.

On this layout, I used a brick template and layered different colors of Distress ink until I got the color I was going for - the dry emboss is the brick.

Barrel Oven By Scrap4brains

Edited by scrap4brains on 04-01-10 06:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics