Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help Please        (Topic#1532137)
SusieQScrapper
Resident
SusieQScrapper

I am a newbie and having a blast making my first book. Can any of you suggest what I can do to be able to make alphabet letters for titles? Do I need a die cut tool and which one is best for a new scrapbooker? Also which materials do you make the letters out of? paper? chipboard?

I hope my question doesn't seem dumb but I really don't know what the best thing is to do. I'm tired of stickers.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to SusieQScrapper

Electronic die cut machines are fabulous...that's what I now use for my titles. I own an Expressions and use Design Studio with it.

I'd suggest you do a lot of research before buying a machine though. There are several that hook directly up to your computer and you download svg files to your computer and cut away; others like the Slice or Cricut Expressions use image cartridges or 'cards'. The slice cuts up to 5" high...the Expressions up to 11.5".

You will get differing view on each machine depending on users perferences. I hate hate hate being at a computer so like the Expression machine as it uses cartridges. I have several friends who own one and we trade cartridges.

Google die cutting machines and you can do research. Also check out Youtube for videos on the different types.

Before my Expressions I used the old red Sizzix machine to manually cut letters out. I still use that thing for cutting material, foam, metal; to use in titles.

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker

I never by alphabet letter stickers personally. It always seems you use up certain letters the first page and get stuck with letters that don't make any words or letter like X and Q that when will you ever use.

My scrapbooking attempts I used plain old scrapbook paper and a stencil. I traced the letters and then cut them out with an exacto knife.

A couple of other great inexpensive things to try is just using a marker or colored pencils and "doodling" or writing the titles. One of my new techniques I use is to download fonts from dafont.com (it's free), then I type my title in a word document using the new font and print it directly onto my scrapbooking paper.

Hope these ideas help.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

I like the sparkly letters from Making Memories, for some reason,,,,,and I rarely BUY letters other than those,,,,,you get alot, and they're 5 bucks,,,,,plus they're pretty.

But for bang for your buck, IMHO, a die cut machine is the way to go in the long run,,,,,,

(and btw, the Expression actually cuts up to 23.5 inches, it's the Create which only cuts up to 11.5 inches, and although you may THINK you'll never need to cut that big, trust me, you will,,,,,you'll want to cut fancy paper borders, etc at some point,,,,,,,trust me,,,,,I made that mistake!)

You can get a Cricut or other die cut machine on sale for a relatively good price,,,,,and I wouldn't be surprised to see them on sale shortly with Mothers day coming up either,,,,

keep your eyes peeled!

Jennifer
Veteran
 Jennifer
In response to CommaHolly

I'm a sucker for Alpha stickers...I can't help myself. However lately I've been free-handing my letters and finding out that it makes for a super cut handmade touch to the layout. I also have a Cricut, and that comes in mighty handy.

Welcome to scrapbooking where there are no rules...just art.

raindancer
Governor
raindancer

Thickers!!! They are awesome!

I have a cricut for die cutting. The price of the cartridges annoys me though. I think there's a new way to download fonts from the comp. for the cricut, but I'm not sure what it is that you have to buy for that. Anyone else know?

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to raindancer

• raindancer Said:

I have a cricut for die cutting. The price of the cartridges annoys me though. I think there's a new way to download fonts from the comp. for the cricut, but I'm not sure what it is that you have to buy for that. Anyone else know?

It's a program called Sure Cuts a Lot.

JeepMama-Ar
Expert
JeepMama-Ar
In response to Sunnydi

I personally hate alpha stickers! Like hotroding said, you always use certain letters and don't need the rest. Thickers are cute, but same problem!

I love my cricut, the carts are expensive but my friends & I share ours, when we have crops they bring their carts to my house & everyone uses my machine. Or we'll do a temporary trade on carts. it really helps us all get the most for our money, plus we ask before buying a cart so we don't duplicate. We have quite a library going :-)

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to JeepMama-Ar

This is the reason I don't want a cricut. The idea of it sounds wonderful....but I just can't fathom putting all that money into the carts! $40-50 x however many.....I'd rather find some other way to make my titles, and save that money for travel adventures! Egypt..here I come!

Now if I had lots of friends to build a carts library...that might be different, but I have no scrappy friends!

SusieQScrapper
Resident
SusieQScrapper

You guys are amazing. I guess only "nice" people scrap! Thanks so much for the advice. I have just looked at the dafont link and am excited to download some of those fonts. And my dh will take me to see some of the die cutting tools you have talked about. Really appreciate your help.

kariyava
Pro
kariyava

You can also buy alpha stamps or masks!

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
  • raindancer Said:

It's a program called Sure Cuts a Lot.

And a new one called Make the Cut. Google either of those and you'll find tons of info on them.

But, just like some folks here said, just wright on the layout or paper!! I still do this from time to time and I have a cricut! Letter stamps are great too!! you never run out of stamps! Letter stickers are great, but I have a ton of half used letter sticker sheets with no more A's or D's (1/2 of my family's initials are DA, and there are 18 on one side and 14 on the other!)

HEY! this is my 3456th post! fun!

Edited by JediScrapToo on 04-07-10 06:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to JediScrapToo

I do not have one of the machines, mostly due to the cost.

I use a variety of methods to put letters on my layouts.

1. I have several Stencil sets in different fonts. Get the good stainless steel scissors. I think they are yellow and black. They are great for cutting angles, etc.

2. Stamps. Endless possibilities.

3. Stickers. Depends on the occasion. Some REALLY add to the layout. Again, just depends. And for the problem of running out of letters, I often use different letters and fonts from sticker letters. It can add a neat look to the wording. Also, look at the letter carefully. Sometimes you can clip off a tail, etc. and turn one letter into another.

4. Chipboard Letters. You can use the "positive" or "negative" side of some. The letter itself or the hole that is left after you punch the letter out.

Hope this helps.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• SusieQScrapper Said:
You guys are amazing. I guess only "nice" people scrap! Thanks so much for the advice. I have just looked at the dafont link and am excited to download some of those fonts. And my dh will take me to see some of the die cutting tools you have talked about. Really appreciate your help.

Oh there are some not so nice ones, but we stuffed them in the closet

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 04-07-10 04:59 PM

A label maker is also fun and super easy to use and very very cheap. I got a label maker for $3.99 on clearance at M's and have seen them on clearance at all the M's in my area. The roll of labels are very inexpensive too and last a long time. You can also use a coupon to buy label rolls. They are self-adhesive, always a plus.

I used a label maker for part of my title here to say: "Let me [count] the ways."

Let Me Count The Ways By IzzyB

The other really cool thing you can do with a label maker is use it to print journaling (or a title) on your own cardstock or patterned paper. You'll just need to cut your own paper to the same width as the label tape (usally 3/8 of an inch) and feed it through.

JustLori
Mayor
JustLori

• CommaHolly Said:
  • SusieQScrapper Said:

Holly, you forgot to lock the door! I'm FREE! I'm FREE!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 04-07-10 05:04 PM
In response to JustLori

As others have said, alpha stamps are a great investment. I have alpha stamps in lots of sizes and fonts. I used alpha stamps here to write the title "My Birthday Suit."

My Birthday Suit By IzzyB

Used stamps below to write "Feeling Green" and 2010. (Titles don't have to be big.)

Feelin' Green By IzzyB

And alpha stamps below to write the title, "The other end of the line."

The Other End of the Line By IzzyB

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to JustLori

• Lori...ProudArmyMom Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:
  • SusieQScrapper Said:

Holly, you forgot to lock the door! I'm FREE! I'm FREE!

GET BACK IN THERE, BEFORE YOU SCARE THE NEWBIES!!!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 04-07-10 05:16 PM

If you have a photo editing program, you can also put text directly on your photos and print the pics with the text as your title. I did that here with "These Tiny Feet." The white letters "big steps" are rub-ons.

These tiny feet By IzzyB

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to IzzyB

OK, Izzy you have me in tears with your LO "the other side of the Line",,,I left you some love,,,,,

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics