Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Embellishment must haves        (Topic#1532143)
MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

I just started scrapbooking, my pages thus far are super basic. I have matted pictures, cardstock cutouts, a hand written title, a little journaling and some stickers. I am ready to move on. Which embellies should I start with? I am looking for something easy to use that makes a big visual impact. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Edited by missafoy on 04-07-10 06:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant
In response to MissaOnTheRun

I like buttons, ribbon, lace trims, decorative paper borders

Edited by whateveriwant on 04-07-10 07:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cutencrafty
Diva
cutencrafty
In response to whateveriwant

Inking the edges of the matte paper or I also like to take a sticker or cricut image and matte it and make a little more embellished.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to whateveriwant

• whateveriwant Said:
I like buttons, ribbon, lace trims, decorative paper borders

Ditto and glitter, stamps, embossing, and the list goes on and on...

Are you interested in making embellishments or just buying them pre-made? I enjoy making my own, so I buy tools that help me accomplish this. Then I can make them out of whatever colors I need to match my cards/layouts.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Here Kitty

Buttons, ribbons, inking the edges and stamps are a few things I can think of.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to dotfree

I'd say brads and flowers.

Personally, I have lots of buttons and ribbon, and rarely use them.

S.Baker
Idol
S.Baker
In response to dotfree

I am not a big stickles fan but I do have to admit that it is a must have and you need everycolo9r there is, mist spray, glaze gel,brads, a good pair of scissors (frikars) so you can cut any flowers or any other image that you like from magazines or post cards or pretty pp, I have a lo in my gallery that I did using a cut out of a girl, this is a lo about the Marine Corps Ball and when I saw the girl in the magazine I thought she looked like me in my younger yrs. so I decided to cut it and use it on a lo for my DH I just added die cut flower and put it on her hair to give it a Hawaiian look I think it came out pretty neat. So, go nuts with your los and have fun.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-07-10 11:16 AM
In response to S.Baker

I say inks, stamps, and maybe some punches. But I don't embellish very much, for me it's literally all about the photos and journalling. The most common embellishing I do is just to use different fonts and image effects to create titles, that I mostly print on vellum because I like the look.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to stick

Flowers & ribbon, it can get expensive so what about making your own? printing bingo cards and tags etc....I am no newbie I have supplies coming out the yeeyang and still print my own.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Brandilynn

I like ribbon and brads, and I'm a big fan of tags. I don't always title my pages but when I do, I use either stickers or letters cut with my Sizzix.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to aquabunny

I agree with using ribbon, brads and glitter/stickles.

Look for things around your home to use. Everyone finds uses for paper clips. I have saved the plastic tab closures off bread and potatoes to put letters on for a title. Maybe try a page with a zipper. I saw one layout a lady used masking tape as a background under a picture. Once you start noticing things "for scrapbooking" you will be amazed at what you can find.

You can get a cheap assortment of flowers off silk stems from the dollar store.

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3
In response to wilbur

i agree with the flowers. i've been stocking up on flowers every time i get a coupon for ac moore or michaels.

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to beccaboo3

definitely inks and stamps. I'd also get some die cuts. these come in very handy. you can dress them up, make them 3d, and many other things. I hardly use ribbon and buttons. I use stamps on every layout though

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to kelsey kay 2012

Since I got my Wishblade I have been trying to focus on using that for cutouts and fancy titles. I have also recently started using more flowers. I like to keep my photos as the focus, as someone else mentioned, but need to use all the cool things I buy. Once I get the photos, journaling, and titles down I always think it looks just perfect as is....

I also use bling ( a must have for me...well a must have to sit in my craft closet...LOL) and brads.

I used to use a lot of stickers...but those, too, seem to be sitting in my craft closet.

Tiffany

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

So what you all are saying is anything that matches is fair game. Great! Thanks for all of the ideas. I can't wait to try some new things.

scrapdolly66
Resident
scrapdolly66
In response to MissaOnTheRun

Yep!! anything that improves your page to your liking is what you need to do. The "goodies" on the page usually fit the theme of the photo. As you match up with your photo you will begin to see a trend you like and can work with. I'm a brad and flower person with a bit ribbon thrown in. You will find ink and chalk add some depth but in the end it will be what looks good with the colors and photo you chose. Take them shopping with you so you can see how they look/work. Please post!! Excited to see what you do.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to scrapdolly66

I'm a bit behind-but I love inking the edges of flowers to give them a bit more visual interest than just adding a solid flower.

Plus you can get several different looks without buying tons of different colored flowers one pack at a time!

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to MrsAnnieS

I bought a set of alphabet stamps for titles years ago and it was THE biggest improvement in my pages IMO. I got a fairly basic set then added ad I wanted with markers in the same color ink I had used on a page...you can add swirls or loops whatever you want! Plus depending on the size you can make words for other pages or initials, get one with numbers and you can put ages or years of photo taken. Alpha sets are very handy and you can use markers or any color ink with them
Now I have about 8 sent in different styles and sizes and use them all regularly. Various companies, some unmounted some wood mounted. Choose the ones that work for you.

New Kid On the Block
In response to catzscrapper

Right now I am really into my buttons...just stick them on with glue dots as-is, or I tie embroidery floss in the holes and then attach to the page.

Happy scrapping!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Nichole Ferguson

I can't BELIEVE (unless I missed it somewhere) that NO ONE has mentioned,,,,,,,

bling flourish!!!!!!! crystals and pearls and plain old bling crystals,,,,,,different colors and black ones and blue ones and OH MY!!!!!!

I LOVE ME SOME BLING FLOURISH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics