Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: How do you mat your photos?        (Topic#1532467)
TiggerPooh2380
Expert
TiggerPooh2380

Im just curious what other people use to mat their pictures. I currently eyeball it using a cutter. But I am hoping that there is a fool proof way to make sure you have all edges the same.

Thanks for the advice

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to TiggerPooh2380

I just eyeball mine. My motto is, if it "looks" straight and square, then it IS.

You could measure.
Or use the magic matter tool. They are little metal disks, in different sizes, that you use to trace around your element, to get that size all the way around. {I checked the superstore here, and didn't see them. A friend has them. They've been around for a long time.}

All too much work for me.

Becky Scraps
Queen
Becky Scraps
In response to Bxr-Linda

I just stick the pic on the the paper and cut it by hand.

Renee77
Diva
Renee77
In response to Becky Scraps

Eyeball mine too! I hate to measure lol!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Bxr-Linda

I measure the photo and then make the mating bigger than the picture (i.e. 1/4 or 1/2"). I then eyeball the placement on the mat.

stephie056
Veteran
stephie056
In response to CorrieW

I just eyeball it .. sometimes I measure it and add a 1/4.. but I'm not patient enough to do that all the time! Eyeball method is fast!!!

TiggerPooh2380
Expert
TiggerPooh2380
In response to stephie056

Im not to good of an eyeballer..lol. The ones I have done look pretty good, I was just hoping there was a super simple tool.

Thanks everyone!

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55

Eyeballing accuracy takes practice, so do keep trying. It's the fastest way to matte, besides buying matte stacks, and who wants to spend the extra money on that?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

You could buy mat stacks.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-12-10 12:20 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

I glue the photo onto the mat and then trim the mat, using the guides on my paper cutter to keep everything straight and even.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

fool proof ways to get even mats

1) I vaugely remember hearing about some "old school" scrapbooking tool/guides that you would line up on the photo and then it would cut the mat around the photo to the exact same size. But I never knew the details. It was some kind of triming guide/cutter that produced even mats 1/8", 1/4" etc. Maybe it was just a giant ruler or template.

2) and I vaugely remember seeing on a scrapbook show some way that you slide your paper and photo under a guide on a paper cutter and it would stop on the photo edge thereby cutting the mat portion to the exact same size each time as you rotated the photo. But again I never got the exact details.

both of these things are triming the mat portion evenly after you have glued the photo to middle of the cardstock. I wish I knew more ... these may even be the same thing.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to stick

I usually eyeball it, but also when trimming with my papercutter, if I push it under the bar that holds it to cut, there's a little "lip" that holds it just about 1/4". and if you do this on all 4 sides they'll be evenly cut. Hope you understand my explanation!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to ASiverson

• ASiverson Said:
I usually eyeball it, but also when trimming with my papercutter, if I push it under the bar that holds it to cut, there's a little "lip" that holds it just about 1/4". and if you do this on all 4 sides they'll be evenly cut. Hope you understand my explanation!

what brand papercutter is this?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
fool proof ways to get even mats

1) I vaugely remember hearing about some "old school" scrapbooking tool/guides that you would line up on the photo and then it would cut the mat around the photo to the exact same size. But I never knew the details. It was some kind of triming guide/cutter that produced even mats 1/8", 1/4" etc. Maybe it was just a giant ruler or template.

2) and I vaugely remember seeing on a scrapbook show some way that you slide your paper and photo under a guide on a paper cutter and it would stop on the photo edge thereby cutting the mat portion to the exact same size each time as you rotated the photo. But again I never got the exact details.

both of these things are triming the mat portion evenly after you have glued the photo to middle of the cardstock. I wish I knew more ... these may even be the same thing.

This may be the Magic Matter. You use the disks to trace around the edge and then cut by hand.

It's especially good for irregular shaped objects (like a flower).

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to Bxr-Linda

The trimmer I'm using currently is Tonic Studio's paper cutter, but it was also possible to do this with my older fiskars cutter.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to ASiverson

You can also measure easily and accurately with the Purple Cows 2 in 1.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-12-10 01:09 PM
In response to scrap4brains

I have a set of those magic matters..I hate them!! The slip up over the picture and then you write on the paper your using for the mat, it's hard to get around the corners. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give 'em a minus 5!!

Just learn to eyeball.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to KimKV

I stick my pic on to the corner of the cardstock, in the corner with the sight size of border that I want around the 2 edges, then I use my cutter and trim off the other two edges to the same width.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to SuperAllyFan

• SuperAllyFan Said:
I stick my pic on to the corner of the cardstock, in the corner with the sight size of border that I want around the 2 edges, then I use my cutter and trim off the other two edges to the same width.

me too!

melissa*l
Pro
melissa*l
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
I glue the photo onto the mat and then trim the mat, using the guides on my paper cutter to keep everything straight and even.

same here!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics