Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Fabric, Ribbon, Fiber, Old Buttons        (Topic#1532587)
DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton

Anyone using fabric, ribbon, fiber, and old buttons on your layouts?

I'm a quilter as well as a scrapbooker. I can crochet and knit a little, and I love fibers and vintage buttons and ribbons and laces... And pieces of all of these items find their way onto my scrapbook layouts too. I love to do collage work and altered art and this is another area where my mediums blend... I'm playing with canvas lately in scrapbooking too... for paint...

I've used some in heritage work.

Just wondered if anyone else had a fabric, button, ribbon stash too? (blushing)

I was in a scrapbook store in Dallas area and they were selling Moda fabric layer cakes and turnover bundles in the scrapbook store.

I've cut fabric with my sizzix, and was also curious if anyone has cut fabric with the cricut?

Someday I want some accuquilt dies and system too...

Anyway, any photos of designs and discussion of fabric, etc. would be appreciated...

well... step up ladies! she who dies with the most fabric and scrapbook stash wins! LOL

My room is called the S & S room because its my Scrap and Sew room.

Any one else have a studio that supports paper and fiber arts?

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3
In response to DaisyButton

My mom sews, quilts, knits, and crochets. I use her leftover fabric for scrapbooking. She also crochets me flowers to use.

I love anything vintage. I wish I knew where to find more vintage buttons, ribbon, and lace for a good price.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to beccaboo3

• Quote:
I wish I knew where to find more vintage buttons, ribbon, and lace for a good price.

I have really good luck at garage sales, auctions, estate sales, goodwill thrift stores, antique malls... oh and my mom's sewing cabinet! LOL

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper

• DaisyButton Said:
Anyone using fabric, ribbon, fiber, and old buttons on your layouts?
I've used some in heritage work.
Just wondered if anyone else had a fabric, button, ribbon stash too?

I've cut fabric with my sizzix, and was also curious if anyone has cut fabric with the cricut?
Anyway, any photos of designs and discussion of fabric, etc. would be appreciated...
well... step up ladies! she who dies with the most fabric and scrapbook stash wins! LOL
Any one else have a studio that supports paper and fiber arts?

Yes I have used buttons, quilting, sewing in my scrapbooks. I have also cut fabric with my cricut for making cards and decorating clothing and wall hangings. No photos tho, sometimes I get too rushed for pics

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3

• DaisyButton Said:
  • Quote:
I wish I knew where to find more vintage buttons, ribbon, and lace for a good price.

I have really good luck at garage sales, auctions, estate sales, goodwill thrift stores, antique malls... oh and my mom's sewing cabinet! LOL

thanks for the tip! i'll have to check out some of those!

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to catzscrapper

• Quote:
I have also cut fabric with my cricut

Did you have to use the deep blade housing? What speed and depth did you cut?

Thanks so much for the post! I'm really wanting to try fabric with my cricut.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I don't think you're SUPPOSED to cut fabric with your cricut,,,,,although possibly you can with the deep cut blade,,,,hm, that's interesting.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to CommaHolly

I love using ribbon, fibers, lace, buttons. I've even used twine. Love twine! I collect buttons from clothing that needs to be tossed out. Twine is super cheap, so I bought a huge spool of it for about $1 a few years ago. My family will bring me ribbons from packages that they get! DH even snagged one at a work baby-shower recently, hahaha!

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Luvmyfam

• Quote:
DH even snagged one at a work baby-shower recently, hahaha!

You've got him trained well! Awesome!

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories

• CommaHolly Said:
I don't think you're SUPPOSED to cut fabric with your cricut,,,,,although possibly you can with the deep cut blade,,,,hm, that's interesting.

I have cut fabric with my Cricut and have not used a deep housing, and it show on the infomercials that you can cut appliques with it.

As far as what speeds and depths you need to set it on for me it was trail and error.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Mix-on the Memories

thanks for the post... I'm going to look up more info on how to do this...

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

OK, now I remember but don't you have to iron on that stuff on the back of it to stiffen it first?????

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali

I do. I'd hardly consider it all that elaborate.

Still enough supplies though, that I wanted to be more organized & recently created a dedicated Sewing Station.

Within it, I have my Buttons, Patches, Pins, Fabric, Ribbons, Embroidery Thread, Hoops, Yarn, Fibers, Needles, Sewing Boxes, Books, Sewing Sketchbook & Mini Sewing Machine & Mini Iron.

It's one of my favorite places to play!

I'll have pics within the week.

{B - Buttons} By KellyCali

{B - Buttons} By KellyCali
Products Referenced in This Post:

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to KellyCali

I use a lot of ribbon and buttons in my layouts. I also like to use pieces of vintage jewelry. I find some of my favorite scrapping goodies at the thrift stores and yard sales.

I haven't really used fabric but just about everything else goes onto my layout. I've even used sand and pebbles for an ocean layout.

If you need ideas, there's a bunch in my gallery.

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to KellyCali

My room is more of a storage (a pretty one, well decorated...) spot for all of my creating goods. I always seem to drag everything to the den because that is where DH usually hangs out and I can create and still be with him.

Most of my sewing, these days, is simple table runners and wedding accessories that I make to customise the weddings I work on (and other events)....I keep saying I am going to relearn how to properly sew clothing...when I am all caught up with scrapbooking (and we know we never get caught up).

I love to use buttons and various fibers in my LOs, at times.

Tiffany

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

I'll come back with a link to a current challenge on this site, Use Your Supplies.

Melissa, the hostess, challenged us to use fabric in a LO this month. Feel free to peruse the first page to see loads of pages that have been created so far!

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15315...

Hopefully, that link works.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to KellyCali

Can't wait to see your new sewing station!

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 04-14-10 05:13 AM

I recently did this LO using vintage looking buttons, lace and crocheted flowers, it was lots of fun. Hope it gives you some ideas.

MINE By Cica

Cica
Cica 
Pro
Cica
  • Cica on 04-14-10 05:18 AM
In response to Cica

To get real vintage buttons and bits and pieces, you could look through granny's old clothes, remove buttons and replace them with something else thats suitable, some charity or second-hand shops also have old jackets, shirts and trousers that you could salvage goodies from. You could even try asking them to remove just the buttons and replace them without having to buy the item.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Cica

I recently saw a friend's layout that used a white garter snap on a wedding page. It had ribbon attached to it. I used a small buckle on a page once to hold some ribbon. Ribbons, buttons and even snaps are nice embellishments and I use them all. Glueing on the small black snaps adds a vintage look. Also, another of my friends attached the small stork scissors and over it a small plastic box(that is used in scrapping to hold things on the page, don't know the name of)

I also do other crafts but because of space limitations have sewing material stored in one room , yarn in another room and my scrap area is in another room. I use the kitchen table to cut & layout patterns....... I would love to use our entire living room as a craft room but hubby is not fond of that idea!!!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics