Username Post: 12x12 vs 8.5x11        (Topic#1532677)
New Kid On the Block

I really like the look of a lot of 8.5x11 pages that I've seen lately, but don't know if it's really possible to swap over seeing that everything I've done so far is 12x12.

I haven't done a lot of scrapping - apart from DS's first year album, I've only done about a dozen or so other pages.

So has anyone made the change or do both sizes? If you do both, do you have different size pages/albums for different events etc? How do you work it all? How do you find working with the smaller size?

Just something that I'm thinking about, so any advice would be appreciated.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Pinkerbell

i scrap both. i have all my sons cub scout ranks scrapped 8.5 x 11 those are in separate albums.

i am not sure if you could cut down your 12 x 12s. that depends on the location of embellies and titles but if you really wanna switch, you can just start using 8.5 x 11 albums and keep the 12 x 12s in their own albums.

some people swear by a product called undo if you want to take apart your larger ones and make them smaller.

Chichi Labamba
Tenant
Chichi Labamba
In response to abbynormaloh75

I scrap in all sorts of sizes. I mostly do either 12x12 or minis, which can range from 2x2 to 8x8. I am going to do Alli Edwards Week in a Life album and I'm using an 8 1/2 x 11 album for that. I keep the 12x12's together and I keep the minis in a couple of large, pretty boxes. I'll probably group the new album with the 12x12s.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to Chichi Labamba

I love 8.5x11.... its pretty much all i do other than the occasional mini book.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to HerHighness68

I don't think there's any reason you can't do albums in different sizes. Some day I'll actually take my own advice. he he he.

But honestly, I love seeing all the different page sizes.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to ncyankee

I mainly work with 12x12 albums because I can fit more photos on a page, but I love using different sized albums for different things. Big events (ie weddings, trips etc) I keep in 12x12. Smaller events, a weekend away, a new puppy, new house and so on, I put in smaller albums.

So I say if you like the work you have done on your big albums-keep them as they are, and try experimenting with different sizes that interest you. Have fun with it!

scrappycath
Queen
scrappycath
In response to MrsAnnieS

You can do albums of different sizes and different sizes in albums! It's your memories, do what you want!!

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 04-15-10 04:24 AM

I do both. Well actually its 9 x12 but whats half an inch? lol I was given a Hallmark Scrapbook that the page protectors are 9 x 12, so I am using it for my Universal Studios trip book!

Tenant
In response to Hev

I like 8.5x11 except for some "specials" I like the fact that it fits on a standard bookcase, and find that it's plenty of room for me for everyday stuff.

As others have said, you can always combine, especially if you use 3 ring albums.

I buy card stock in both sizes, but since patterned paper is pretty much only 12x12 here, I just cut it down, and often can make a two page spread with one piece!

Expert
In response to Scrapping My Adventures

My everyday scrapping for my boys is 12x12 because I need all of the space I can get! I have done a few 8x8 albums for special events. The last few years I've been doing 8.5x11 for my Christmas album and it has really worked well for what I need, but it does take a little getting used to. I don't think I could do it on a regular basis because I really don't like having to cut down my 12x12 paper (and then trying to decide what to do with the extras...can't just throw them away and I don't do much with cards), but it's also hard because there are some 12x12 papers that just can't be cut down because of the designs.

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to HuskerMom98

I like doing different sizes. I do 12x12 for the boys albums. The fmaily album and some vacation albums are 11x8.5 (landscape) which is my favorite size, I love the wide double page for multi-photo pages. I sometimes do smaller albums such as 8x8 for vacation albums but I get frustrated with those smaller sizes.

Things that work well in one format often work differently in other formats. I enjoy doing different formats for different albums.

Katlady
Veteran
Katlady
In response to boysmom

I started out with 81/2x11 but switched to 12x12 so I just mounted my 81/2 to a 12.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Katlady

I do mostly 12x12 but I do love the smaller sizes occasionally. I have albums of all sizes and shapes and have no problem switching from one to the other. In fact sometimes the smaller ones are easier...less space to fill. I have started out layouts before that were 12x12 and I didn't like them so I trimmed down and now I love them. Here are 2.
At the Aquarium By Dollscrap

Tiny Children at Play By Dollscrap

New Kid On the Block
In response to dollscrap

Thanks very much for the responses. I think I'll try a few pages and see how I like it.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Katlady

• Katlady Said:
I started out with 81/2x11 but switched to 12x12 so I just mounted my 81/2 to a 12.

I'm so glad you shared this. 16 years ago I started with 8.5x11 for my daughter's baby album and just finished it up (she's 18 kinda behind on my scrapping) and was so looking forward to returning to 12x12 for her 2nd year on, and then I remembered that I already had several 8.5x11 layouts completed for the toddler and preschool years. I think I may just mount them onto 12x12 pages if there aren't too many of them. I'm a multipic scrapper so the bigger format works better for me.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to HuskerMom98

• HuskerMom98 Said:
then trying to decide what to do with the extras...can't just throw them away and I don't do much with cards), but it's also hard because there are some 12x12 papers that just can't be cut down because of the designs.

you are right. i made a small album from my zoo trip i had been dying to use DCVW animal crackers stack. so i bought it in 12 x 12 thinking more for my money then realized that i couldn't use the couple sheets because of the design, cutting it down just wasnt an option. i should have bought the 8.5x11 stack. i didn't even know they made stacks that size til this project.

i would suggest if you scrap smaller to just make sure the pp you buy can be cut down and if buy stacks to just buy the smaller stack size.

now i have an entire baggie of scraps from animal cracker stack and no idea what to do with them. LOL

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 04-20-10 10:02 PM

I like using 8.5x11 because a. I won't waste space if I only have one picture, and, b. if I want to scrap 20 or 40 pictures of an event, I can do them over multiple pages. They all go into my everyday albums.

I would just keep the ones you already did in their current format and start the new size next time around.

I use only 8.5x11 for every day albums, 12x15 for heritage pages and a couple of smaller albums for gifts, like 6x6 or 8x8. I don't have time to do much more than my family's pictures.

Edited by Judes on 04-20-10 10:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JenTheMadScrapper
Expert
JenTheMadScrapper
In response to Judes

I'm starting to think about doing other sizes partly because 12x12's are so big and after years of scrapping I don't know where I'm going to put them all! Mini albums can be addicting too. I never thought I would want to do them but I made a few as gifts and I really like them! I think all sizes can be great.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to JenTheMadScrapper

I don't think you should take apart any old layouts, just do the new ones in 8 1/2 x 11. Or do a few of them and see how you like it. I have done letter size for gifts and it feels crowded to me, I prefer a bigger space.

I tried to look at your gallery to see what you mean, but you haven't posted anything yet. Don't be shy, let us see

creativefool
Resident
creativefool

• abbynormaloh75 Said:
  • HuskerMom98 Said:
then trying to decide what to do with the extras...can't just throw them away and I don't do much with cards), but it's also hard because there are some 12x12 papers that just can't be cut down because of the designs.

you are right. i made a small album from my zoo trip i had been dying to use DCVW animal crackers stack. so i bought it in 12 x 12 thinking more for my money then realized that i couldn't use the couple sheets because of the design, cutting it down just wasnt an option. i should have bought the 8.5x11 stack. i didn't even know they made stacks that size til this project.

i would suggest if you scrap smaller to just make sure the pp you buy can be cut down and if buy stacks to just buy the smaller stack size.

now i have an entire baggie of scraps from animal cracker stack and no idea what to do with them. LOL

I scrap 8.5 x 11 and am now using my scraps from this exact same paper pack to make a paper bag book for my daughter for her birthday.I save every scrap over 4" in folders by color and theme and use them for cards, gift tags, mini books, bookmarks etc. I hate to throw away any paper since its so spendy.
I also started in 12x12 and made the switch about 7 yrs ago. I love the smaller size because it fits on bookshelves and travels easier than 12x12 for me.

Tenant
In response to creativefool

As an 8.5x11 scrapper, although I always go to my scrap pile first, I'm still already building a collection, and I've only really been scrapping for a few months!

I've never seen 8.5x11 pp stacks, and very few individual sheets even. Cardstock yes, but not the fancy stuff. Will have to research that more online.

And so far I haven't been grabbed by an urge to make any minibooks, but I'm contemplating some 6x6 alpha books for new little ones, and that would use up scraps nicely. =)

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Scrapping My Adventures

My scrapbook right now are 12x12 or 8x8. I have contemplated going to 8 1/2 x 11 just because I use a lot of digital papers and then could print out my papers instead of sizing down 12x12 to 8x8 and printing. I find the 8x8 are a nice size, but sometimes just a wee bit too small. I think the letter size pages would be the perfect size - that is if I ever get back to scrapbooking again.

Teanque
Expert
Teanque
In response to cat_woman

for the past 2 years i have been focused on doing some hanging pages that are either 8x10's or 11x13s, and a few 5x10's. with them in frames i can share my work with whomever comes over without dragging out big books [image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/158163/view /2684061/-1.html [/image]

New Kid On the Block
In response to Teanque

Well, I've done a few of these size pages over the last week, and so far I'm loving them!

Thanks again for all the replies everyone.

* Julie *
Diva
* Julie *

I've always been a 12x12 scrapper. I've only used mini sizes or 8x11 for a theme scrapbook. I love my big papers!

New Kid On the Block

I own Scrapbooks and Sunsets retreat center and I have only had one cropper who preferred the 8.5x11. She said she liked it because she could put her children's school papers on one side and her crops on the facing side.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I work with a number of sizes, depending on the album. 12x12, 8 1/2 x 11, 8x8, 6x6. The 12x12 I use for family, pets, holidays, etc. The 8x11 I use for my BOM. The 8x8 is for my cats, and the 6x6 is for recipes. I think you should work in whichever format you enjoy the most -- although you can always mat 8x11 on 12x12 paper, but not the reverse, usually.

AmyK75
AmyK75 
Veteran
AmyK75
In response to meezerpleaser

6x6 as recipes is a great idea!!

I started with 8.5 x 11 but I switched to 12x12 I'll do 8x8 at times. I love square!!!

Diamond Events by Tiffany
In response to AmyK75

I was scrappin for years with the 8.5 x 11 and OMG would not change!!! But then it was getting harder and harder to find any cute papers...so I started using the 12 x 12 PP for matting and cuts, etc....then last year I was going to just TRY a 12 x 12 to keep an open mind...and now I am HOOKED. So many more options.

Tiffany

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Diamond Events by Tiffany

I'd like to try an 11x8.5 (landscape) sometime. Maybe for the album DD wants of all the bands she's seen or maybe for the pet album I plan to do someday.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics