Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: what do you use to cut circles?        (Topic#1532807)
fiddy 
Tenant
  • fiddy on 04-16-10 03:33 PM

i have a few circle punches 1,2 and 3 inches, but i am looking to create even bigger circles, like even up to 10 inches.

what tool do you find works best for this?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to fiddy

I use a Coluzzle (template and knife system).
Although I think the Coluzzle is now discontinued.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Bxr-Linda

I like the EK Success Curvy Cutter system, which has several other shape templates available as well, such as ovals and rounded squares. It cuts in twelve different sizes per template, although not quite as large as you're looking for.

I'm sure someone will tell you to just get a Cricut, but I get the impression you're looking for a lower-budget tool, which is also fine.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by aquabunny on 04-16-10 04:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to fiddy

I use the EK Success- Cutter Bee. Maybe it's just me, but it takes a certain knack to get it right everytime. I haven't made circles in a while, but I just got SCAL2 for my Expression-- I'm pretty sure they'll be circles for that. I'm hoping to make bigger ones with it.
Products Referenced in This Post:

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 04-16-10 06:26 PM
In response to leslief

Pot lids.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to IzzyB

I'm with Izzy,,,,,you know, that fancy new system they got out now,,,,

"the dinner ware system"

pot lids (they come in great sizes, generally have their own handles, and work awesome,,,

dinner plates,,,,

lids from tupperware,,,,,

I have so much kitchenware on my scrap table that half the time DH tries to cook dinner he has to come searching for something,,,a pot lid, a cutting board who knows what else

Catherine Pooler
Resident
Catherine Pooler
In response to CommaHolly

I use the Circle Scissors Plus by Stampin' Up..it goes up to 6".

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Catherine Pooler

With the Cricut Expression we can get a circle up to 11.5 inches.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn

• CommaHolly Said:
I'm with Izzy,,,,,you know, that fancy new system they got out now,,,,

"the dinner ware system"

pot lids (they come in great sizes, generally have their own handles, and work awesome,,,

dinner plates,,,,

lids from tupperware,,,,,

I have so much kitchenware on my scrap table that half the time DH tries to cook dinner he has to come searching for something,,,a pot lid, a cutting board who knows what else

I have the Expression but use this idea most!

Edited by tdn823 on 04-18-10 04:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to tinadn

I use the CM Cutting system and if there is a size I need that it doesn't do, then I use various dinner plates and scissors.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Shutterbugg

I also love raiding the kitchen for tools, as they said you can get some of the best sizes for a great price! Whenever we lose a lid or the bottom for a piece of tupperware the lone piece gets carried away to my scrap room. I also have a scratched CD I use for medium and small circles. I also hunted down a roughly 10.5" plate at the thrift store that now has a permanent home in my scrap room.

FunnyBunnyCrafts
Resident
FunnyBunnyCrafts
In response to MrsAnnieS

I use Martha Stewart's circle cutter! You need to make sure the paper is still (I usually tape it to a surface), but it is so quick and easy!

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to FunnyBunnyCrafts

I use the coluzzle syatem for smaller circles and We R Memory Keepers system for circles 4in to 12in

We R Memory Keepers - Crafter's Magnetic Circle Cutter

We R Memory Keepers - Crafter's 16 x 20 Inch Magnetic Mat and 18 Inch Magnetic Ruler

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to melissadam

I love my Fiskars Ultra Shape Express, with the large template circles. The advantage is that you lay the circles right over the paper. What you see is what you cut. No guessing! The trick is to hold the USX like a computer mouse, and make sure that the template is right side up (the Fiskars name should be face-up). Easy peasy.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Luvmyfam

A large bowl works well too..

annavalentin
Queen
annavalentin
In response to HisGEM

I use the Cricut expression but for the really thin circles I like the EK Success Curvy Cutter system awesome! or the workshop tempaltes and scissors!

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to annavalentin

I use either my cricut or my cm circle cutters

joogz
joogz 
Diva
joogz
  • joogz on 04-19-10 02:10 PM

Plates and bowls...and sometimes, you just might need a frying pan! Have a great day!

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to HisGEM

Different size bowls work really good. I love my fiskars shape cutter, But doesn't make real big circles.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 04-24-10 06:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cheball
Diva
cheball
In response to debby_westbrook

I bought one of those Compasses like you use in school to draw a circle. One side is the pencil and one is a pointed metal thingy that you place on the paper and then turn the pencil around in a circle. (I tend to go for inexpensive solutions.)
I must admit that a Cricut Expression is on my wish list though.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics