Username Post: Spirelli - what kind of thread to use?        (Topic#1533105)
Tenant

Hi! I've pretty much been on an information binge since I decided I wanted to get back into scrapping again.

The other night, I come across the technique called spirelli and did find a tutorial on here for it but it didn't say what type of thread to use.

Is this regular embroidery thread or do you use something else [maybe metallic or sparkly thread of some sort?]

And, is it easy to do? I love the look of it on the one I did see that was done.

Thanks once again [will be back soon with more questions, I promise. LOL]

-----

Dee Jaye

bgsl56
bgsl56 
Expert
bgsl56
In response to dee.jaye

Any kind of thread can be used, but for some extra glitz you could use metallic or variegated.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 04-21-10 05:46 PM
In response to bgsl56

I use DMC embroidery floss.

RobinH
RobinH 
Veteran
RobinH
In response to bgsl56

I recently made spirelly flowers and snowflakes. I used metallic embroidery floss and shiny beading cord (in pastels). You can be creative and use just about anything. But, I'm partial to sparkly.

Tenant
In response to RobinH

Thanks so much! I guess I'm kind of partial to sparkly too pretty much. :-)

Do you go by the colors on your pages as to what color of spirelli thing to use? I figure also that even with the white ones, the colors of the thread should help with making it not look so plain, etc.

I'll have to buy a few of the shapes off from Ebay but the one lady has them in different colors and I was thinking that maybe if I had her do them all in white, then as needed -- I could always paint or somehow color them. Do ya think that'd maybe be best?

Not sure why but I am so anxious to try this, will have to wait till the first week in May though so I can get to a store with embrodiery floss and/or sparkly thread. [Darnit, I hate waiting! LOL]

----

Dee Jaye

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to queenofstash

ok, now you all have me wanting to try this. i checked out the article, and it does look pretty cool. of course, i want some glittery, shiny thread now! thanks...need to go shopping!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to randasue

thanks for telling us about this. I have seen this done on TV but haven't tried it yet. I have sun type punches in 3 sizes that should work to punch the piece to wrap around.......thanks again for bringing this to our attention!!!

Tenant
In response to wilbur

You're so welcome! I saw it on the show "Scrapbooking" ... before then, I'd never heard of it but it sure turns out pretty!

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to dee.jaye

• dee.jaye Said:
You're so welcome! I saw it on the show "Scrapbooking" ... before then, I'd never heard of it but it sure turns out pretty!

tell me more about the show "scrapbooking". i have never heard of it!

fiddlestix
Veteran
fiddlestix
In response to randasue

• randasue Said:
  • dee.jaye Said:

tell me more about the show "scrapbooking". i have never heard of it!

Sandi Genovese is the host. It's on 6:30AM Tuesday mornings on HGTV! It's called Scrapbooking.

Tenant
In response to fiddlestix

Thank God for my being able to DVR it or I'd never get to see it!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to dee.jaye

I saw it on there too. I'm too cheap to buy the precut shapes. I bought the nestabilities scalloped circles and ovals and squares and used those. I made my easter cards with them this year! I used regular old sewing thread. On this card, I used variegated threads in a few different colors. I also have copper and silver and gold threads. Check out the sewing stuff- CHEAP thread and you can get EVERY color. It's fun and SUPER easy to do! They also sell the inverted scallop nesties.

2010 Easter Card By Seaexplore
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by seaexplore on 04-23-10 06:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics