Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Recommended adhesive for cutting mats?        (Topic#1533161)
kottens
Idol
kottens

Hi
The adhesive on the cutting mats that I bought for my Gazelle aren´t any good. I need to apply more, but I´m not sure what to buy.

Anyone?

Thanks!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-22-10 09:24 AM
In response to kottens

Try washing it first, or use a baby wipe, this can help in the short term. And I like Krylon Easy Tack. Just make sure to put masking tape or painters tape (something easy to get off) over the pink edges so you only get spray on the adhesive part.

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to stick

Ok, thanks for the advice. Can´t find anyone who ships it to Sweden though. Anything else I can try?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-10 02:46 PM
In response to kottens

Hmmm, I searched on the Gazelle forums and some people prefer K & Co. Wacky Tac repositionable, can you find that maybe?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-10 02:58 PM
In response to stick

Altho I did a little more research and I'm not sure exactly what product - I think it may be "Liquid Adhesive." I think it's supposed to be a roll-on.

I say get onto the Gazelle forums and ask, they might have a good recommendation. Also - just look around and see what is available to you in terms of repositionable adhesives.

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to stick

The store that I bought the Gazelle used to sell Wacky Tac for the cutting mats, but they can´t find any. Have they stopped manufacturing it?

I noticed that there were restrictions on how to handle Krylon Easy Tack, that´s why they are not shipping it outside the US.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-24-10 07:04 AM
In response to kottens

Restrictions ... like don't spray it in your face or some such nonsense? We're going to regulate ourselves to death one day

Anyway ... I saw another post on the BK forums about using a Zig pen. When you let it dry before actually putting your paper down, evidently it's repositionable.

Sounds like you're going to have to just experiment with any repositionable adhesive you can find.

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to stick

Exactly my thought about the regulation.

A pen seems like a lot of work if you´re going to cover the whole mat. Well, I better keep looking.

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend.

/Jenny

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to kottens

Spray and I don't get along.

I use the Wacky Tac, or use the REALLY wide ZIG. Let it dry good, and tap it with a t-shirt or something when it's dry - it REALLY holds!

kottens
Idol
kottens
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Can you specify what zig you are using? I can´t get hold of any Wacky Tac...

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to kottens

This one. The tip is a good inch wide or more....

It's great if you do a lot of repetitive cutting, too, and just need to touchup a few spots.
Products Referenced in This Post:

kottens
Idol
kottens

Ah, that´s great! Thanks. How often do you need to apply it?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-01-10 09:28 AM

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
It's great if you do a lot of repetitive cutting, too, and just need to touchup a few spots.

This is a great tip, thank you! I definitely need to get this zig pen now..

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to stick

Y'know, I've done one whole mat, and another that had "spots" missing. And I haven't redone either one yet. So I don't know!

It's been 3-4 months.

kottens
Idol
kottens

That sounds great to me.

Do you reckon it´s enough to do spots or do I have to do the whole mat? Thanks so much for your help.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to kottens

Depends - on the one where I did spots, I'd done a LOT of repetitive items. The rest of the mat was fine, but those spots obviously didn't have any adhesive left.

Look at your mat - if you do spots, and it's not enough, you can always add more.

kottens
Idol
kottens

Seems like I´m getting a refund since the original glue didn´t work. But I will definitely buy the ZIG for the future.

Thanks a lot!

ddaly60
Veteran
ddaly60
In response to kottens

Do you clean off all the old glue before you apply new?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-09-10 11:06 AM
In response to ddaly60

Nope. I wash the mat, just with regular dishwashing liquid, and scrape off any bits of paper or glue gobs that may have formed, but as long as it's a relatively smooth surface I just mask the border with tape and spray on a new layer

ddaly60
Veteran
ddaly60
In response to stick

I went to Micheals today and bought Aleens tack it over and over, a xyron repositionable refill and Krylon easy tack spray. ( wanted to cover all my bases LOL)

The Xyron I took the refill apart and just using the sticky part I applied it to all of the mat, I found that the backing wanted to keep hold of the tape but working slow i got it all down, I cut a few things it seemed to hold ok.

Then I masked off another mat & spread a thin even layer of the Aleens on it with a foam brush, let it dry and tried that OMG that stuff sticks! It cut wonderfully but was too sticky, I was told later tonight to thin it 1 part glue to 1 part water. i'll try that tomorrow on another mat.

I did not try the spray. I think i will stick with the Aleens.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics