Username Post: Learning the Language...Die Cuts? Paper punches?        (Topic#1533705)
astrangevictory
Veteran
astrangevictory

Hi Everyone,

I am brand-new to scrapbooking, and having a hard time keeping everything straight.

There's die cuts, die cut machines, die cut paper...what's what? The superstore says that with "cut outs" "You buy the preprinted sheet and then cut out the designs or letters to use on your scrapbooks"...but how do you cut them? with a die cut machine or one of those hand-cutting tools? And is a cut-out different from a die cut?
Is a die cut what you put into the die cut machine?

And if the ultimate purpose of a die cut machine is to make paper designs (and I assume you buy "templates" to put into the machine), then how is that any different from paper punches?

I am so so sorry to be uncomprehending...but I am flummoxed! Please help!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to astrangevictory

Welcome!

I am going to take a stab in the dark here. Die cut machines makes different images depending on what cartridges or dies you have.A die is an image that will be cut into the paper. With one die, you can customize it to fit what you need. There are electric die cut machines like the slice, cricuts and wishblade. Then there are manual die cut machines like the sizzix and the cuttlebug.

Punches usually make one design per punch or you can get like a three in one. From what I know many people use punches for corner, boarders or for a design for a particular lo.

Cut outs I do belive come pre-cut you just pop them out and use them.

Die paper??? Um there are several types of paper or material that can be used such as vellum, card stock, chip board or different types or styles of paper.

I hope this helped.... again welcome!

astrangevictory
Veteran
astrangevictory
In response to HisGEM

Okay, so I THINK I am beginning to understand...so, a die cut cartridge is also known as a die, yes? And you get buy (or gain access to) a die cut machine, stick your template/cartridge/die in the machine, choose your paper, and the machine generates the "die cut"? And you can switch your cartridge out of the machine for another design?

So, then, what are those nifty handheld cutting tools for? Do you use them to cut stenciled shapes out of paper?

I've attached a picture of a Nestabilities collection template...is that something that you could use in a die cut machine, or trace/stencil a "label", or journaling area?

Thank you for your patience during these rather befuddled questions, and thank you, too, for all the information!

Thanks for your help and patience, it is VERY MUCH appreciated.

brandiey1
Idol
brandiey1

You use those dies with the Spellbinder Wizard...
Products Referenced in This Post:

sweet1
sweet1 
Pro
sweet1
In response to brandiey1

There are two different types of die cutting machines, manual and electronic. With the manual, Sizzix, spellbinders, etc, you buy dies in one image/size (to use one at a time). With the electronic machines you buy cartridges or files and can manipulate the image to different sizes.

Die cuts are the product of either of these machines.

Paper punches are like a "total" die cut manual machine that cuts just one image one size.

HTH

Snazzyart
Expert
Snazzyart

Hi, and welcome to the site. I have a spellbinder Wizard and I find it is amazing, especially all the Nestabilities Collection.I like all the 6 sizes that you have in one set.

Hope you get to enjoy all the wonderful time in creating your memories.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Snazzyart

AND die cut paper is paper either 12x12 or 6x6 that is ALREADY cut to a shape OR that you cut to a specific shape yourself,,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

you can also buy templates to trace onto paper and make some of those shapes out of any paper you want,,,,,

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics