Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Tips for messy glitter        (Topic#1533779)
Bookworm401
Guru
Bookworm401

So I am not completely new to scrapbooking, however, I am a complete beginner when it comes to all of the mists, stickles (I'm not even sure what this is?) and other stuff. Since I have a of it laying around, I am still using glitter. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to use glitter and not get it everywhere? When I apply it, it's everywhere...when I clean it up it still gets everywhere! Help please

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Bookworm401

I usually always use some sort of tray or piece of paper underneath whatever I am working on.

In the case of a tray, use a small plastic embossing tray (that you can usually find for $1). It has a type of spout on 1 end that will allow you to pour any remaining glitter back into the jar.

As for the paper, once you're done, you can gather the sides and form a funnel, in order to pour it back in.

Lastly, if you happen to have any other glitter on your workdesk, a lint roller (once again, can be found for $1), will do the trick nicely!

Hope That Helps!

Angelica
Queen
Angelica
In response to KellyCali

Yes, I use a tray also. I clean up with a baby wipe so the glitter sticks to it.

Bookworm401
Guru
Bookworm401
In response to Angelica

I think I can manage a tray...I never thought to use a baby wipe or a lint roller! Thanks for the suggestions

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Angelica

Oh, good tip about the lint roller! I usually end up wiping down my work mat with a clorox wipe. I will have to try the lint roller!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to Shutterbugg

can anyone tell me a good glue to use? I tried the marth stewart but it was very thick and warped the paper a bit. I love the glitter and enjoy using it alot.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to CorrieW

Lint roller, excellent idea!!

Barb in AK
Tenant
Barb in AK
In response to CorrieW

I have given up on glitter and use nothing but STICKLES now.... No mess, no fuzz, no drips, no runs, no errors
It's cool, cool, cool and lots of colors to choose from.

Barb in AK
Tenant
Barb in AK
In response to KellyCali

KellyCalli--- Whoa! Super idea! You go, girlfriend!

Bookworm401
Guru
Bookworm401
In response to Barb in AK

• Barb in AK Said:
I have given up on glitter and use nothing but STICKLES now.... No mess, no fuzz, no drips, no runs, no errors

I have no experience or knowledge of stickles, so this is good to know. Does it have the same look as glitter? Thanks

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

• Bookworm401 Said:
  • Barb in AK Said:

I have no experience or knowledge of stickles, so this is good to know. Does it have the same look as glitter? Thanks

No they don't I love stickles, but when I want something to be covered in glitter I use the MS glitters. They are very nice, not so static and clean up fairly easily. I also like using them with the spellbinders dies.

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to CorrieW

For spray things I have been using an empty box from reams of paper from the office copier. It keeps the mess contained!

Barb in AK
Tenant
Barb in AK

Nothing has the look of glitter like glitter
But, glitter flakes off after time--- Haven't had any problem with Stickels flaking off
Buy just one bottle of your most used color. If you don't like it, you can send the remainder to me

I've got a set of MS glitters-- have yet to use it

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to Barb in AK

Check out the bottom tutorial at Tidbitz In Time kit club.

http://tidbitzintime.com/tutorials

Jeannie Lutz
Tenant
Jeannie Lutz
In response to HerHighness68

total props for the lint roller idea!!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to Jeannie Lutz

Sudie Alexander sent me this link and suggested I chime in.

Stickles are good but if you don't want the expense of buying all the colors and have glitter which is a lot less $ (or you've bought tons of it at garage sales...)

1. Use a great glue with a fine writing tip. You want the glitter to stick instantly, and to dry fast and clear. I use The Best Glue Ever.

2. I always pour my glue over paper and then return it to the container (like embossing powder if you're familiar with doing that.) IF you use the tray, wipe it with The Perfect Printing Pouch so the glitter doesn't stick to the tray--or wipe the tray with the Perfect Cleaning Cloth which is like a glitter magnet. I have transferred all my glitter to little jars or tubs so I can pour it back in. The containers like cupcake sprinkles with dividers (know them?) made it impossible to pour the glitter back in.

3. I use the Perfect Printing Pouch to cut the static so the glitter only sticks to the glue and not anywhere else. Just takes a swipe on your paper or a tap on your transparency.

4. I use The Perfect Cleaning Cloth after the glue dries to clean any remnant unstuck glitter. I also use the cloth on my work surface if any glitter escaped to it. The cloth instantly attracts and hold the glitter. (Then just give a good shake over you trash can).

I have a video where I apply glue to a transparency and use glitter on it which demos many of these techniques including pouring the glitter into the container. It's a birthday card--with a cupcake! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faGDqDdovyw&a mp;feature=...

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM with questions.

PS Sudie has a terrific web show live on Monday nights 9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST. It's also archived on the web. May 3 her show, "Fantastic Finds and Amazing Products", is about her top 3 craft picks for National Scrapbooking Day. Here's the link:http://www.livestream.com/jumpcreate

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to scraperfect

I agree. I love the look of glitter, but hate the mess. i have stickles but i dont always like the way they cover. I started putting some glossy accents (by ranger) down and sprinkling some of my martha stewart glitter on top. I then mix it with a paint brush and paint it on what i want glittered. Its really great on flowers,It makes them have a little shine.

nrthwdscrapper
Mayor
nrthwdscrapper
In response to andrea m

• andrea m Said:
I agree. I love the look of glitter, but hate the mess. i have stickles but i dont always like the way they cover. I started putting some glossy accents (by ranger) down and sprinkling some of my martha stewart glitter on top. I then mix it with a paint brush and paint it on what i want glittered. Its really great on flowers,It makes them have a little shine.

Oh, I like this idea too .....I bought a box of craft stuff at an auction and got a dozen containers of glitter. It would be nice to put them to use.

Bookworm401
Guru
Bookworm401
In response to scraperfect

• scraperfect Said:
Sudie Alexander sent me this link and suggested I chime in.

Stickles are good but if you don't want the expense of buying all the colors and have glitter which is a lot less $ (or you've bought tons of it at garage sales...)

1. Use a great glue with a fine writing tip. You want the glitter to stick instantly, and to dry fast and clear. I use The Best Glue Ever.

2. I always pour my glue over paper and then return it to the container (like embossing powder if you're familiar with doing that.) IF you use the tray, wipe it with The Perfect Printing Pouch so the glitter doesn't stick to the tray--or wipe the tray with the Perfect Cleaning Cloth which is like a glitter magnet. I have transferred all my glitter to little jars or tubs so I can pour it back in. The containers like cupcake sprinkles with dividers (know them?) made it impossible to pour the glitter back in.

3. I use the Perfect Printing Pouch to cut the static so the glitter only sticks to the glue and not anywhere else. Just takes a swipe on your paper or a tap on your transparency.

4. I use The Perfect Cleaning Cloth after the glue dries to clean any remnant unstuck glitter. I also use the cloth on my work surface if any glitter escaped to it. The cloth instantly attracts and hold the glitter. (Then just give a good shake over you trash can).

I have a video where I apply glue to a transparency and use glitter on it which demos many of these techniques including pouring the glitter into the container. It's a birthday card--with a cupcake! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faGDqDdovyw&a mp;feature=...

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM with questions.

PS Sudie has a terrific web show live on Monday nights 9:30pm EST/6:30pm PST. It's also archived on the web. May 3 her show, "Fantastic Finds and Amazing Products", is about her top 3 craft picks for National Scrapbooking Day. Here's the link:http://www.livestream.com/jumpcreate

Thanks for all of the tips and links. One of my next questions was going to be, how to remove glitter on the card that isn't supposed to be there. I never thought about static electricity factoring in! Gives me a lot to think about the next time I glitter a card. Everyone has so many great ideas and knowledge of scrapbooking, it's great

New Kid On the Block
In response to CorrieW

I use tweezers so I won't dump too much at one time, along with a embossing tray with a hole for dumping. I cleanup with baby wipes or I use my shopvac. good luck

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics