Username Post: die cut machine        (Topic#1534247)
stephyirene
Veteran
stephyirene

Hey all! I've been a member for a very long time but haven't been around much. I want to buy a die-cut machine and have recently used a friend's Cricut. I really liked it! However, I don't like the idea of having to buy the cartridges. I've read about the Silhouette and it is comparable in price to the Cricut - only you don't have to buy carts. I just don't hear of many people using them. I have read lots of posts on here about the machines but am still undecided. Can some of you give me some pros and cons on the die-cut machines?

Thanks for your help!

Chichi Labamba
Tenant
Chichi Labamba
In response to stephyirene

I can only speak for the Cricut which I love, love love. While I am a huge fan of cutting paper by hand and/or Xacto blade, I really enjoy not having to design stuff from scratch and just picking pretty images to cut from the carts. The images used to be real "cutesy" so I wasn't interested. Now that Provo Craft has come out with much more artistic and creative carts, I'm happy to buy them.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 05-05-10 01:20 PM

For me you already stated one of the biggest reasons I went with the Silhouette. NO CARTRIDGES!! If I'm scrapping and I want something that I don't already have, I go online and get it. I like that I can cut several different sizes at once on the Silhouette, the Cricut you have to cut one size at a time, and if I remember right you can't do capital and lower case letters at the same time. You don't have to figure out where to adjust the blade to get a good cut, you just tell the program what paper you are using and it tells you what cap to use.

Now, on the downside, if you are looking at the Cricut Expression, you can cut 12x12 stuff on it. Where, the silhouette, with a little trick you can cut a 12 inch long border.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to KimKV

I love my Cricuts too! I bought all of my cartridges with the except three (2 came with the create and 1 with the expression) on that action site. A lot of people also talk about the Sure Cuts A Lot. From what I heard, you do not have to buy carts anymore....If you have design studio, you can change the size and play around with the images before you cut. You can also make images by welding to existing images together to make one. Again, I love my Cricuts!!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to HisGEM

Oh and you can actually cut 12x24 (11.5x23.5)on the Expression. Once I get my mat I plan on making the largest figures for my children's bedroom! So excited.....

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to KimKV

I have acouple of the Cricuts and gobs of cartridges- i like the Cricut because of the 12x12 size ( and 12x24 if you choose! ) but best deal of all is to go with SCAL or MTC programs- then you dont have to buy a single cartridge!
Since getting MTC i have to remind myself to use a cartridge- and i do that so i dont feel guilty for spending so much money on carts all this time!! Otherwise, they are kinda just sitting there! My vote is for the Cricut E and a software program!!! You wont be sorry!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to ChansGram

I have the Silhouette and really like it. I haven't toyed with making my own designs yet, but I have hundreds (if not thousands) I've gotten free off the web. And I use fonts on it all the time. I have used the Cricut too (the big one) and it is really nice - but I just didn't want to have to buy the carts.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-05-10 03:01 PM
In response to scraprabbit

Exactly the reason why I could not buy a Cricut. I ended up with a Gazelle and I adore it! I pretty much make all of my own designs and I'm always downloading new fonts, I'm pretty happy with the Funtime software. And it cuts a full 12" wide, not sure how long but I've never needed anything longer than 12" yet. Plus, the software is included in the price so the only things you EVER have to buy for it are consumables, which you have to buy with any machine.

ddaly60
Veteran
ddaly60
In response to stick

I havce the Pazzles Inspirations and love it!!!

I like some much for the machine and then having to buy carts to use it.

I really like that the PAzzles can cut thick chipboard!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to ddaly60

I have the Original and the Expression Cricuts as well as the Gypsy. I love them all.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to dotfree

I have a silhoutte and I love it, I just got the new subscription and I am loving it. I love that I can weld letters and mat them easily plus you can see eactly where you are cutting. The original comes with a pen holder and you can get pens/markers that fit for journaling too.

ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
Expert
ScrapHappyStArLIGhT
In response to CorrieW

I was toying with this exact same question before I bought my Cricut Expression. I didn't want to spend all my money on cartridges but I liked the popularity of the Cricut (easier to find accessories and necessities for it). However, once discovering SureCutsAlot software, I quickly decided to go for the Cricut over any other machine! I found one new on evilbay at a great price and haven't regretted it since! I like that I can borrow my friends' cartridges AND download my own fonts and dingbats! There's endless possibilites with SCAL!

stephyirene
Veteran
stephyirene
In response to ScrapHappyStArLIGhT

Thanks for the help Ladies! I really wish I knew someone with a Silouette so I can put my hands on it to see what I think. I didn't know about the SureCutsALot, have looked into that and am leaning towards the Cricut, just because I am more familiar with it. I'm not quite ready to make that decision yet, though. Any other input?

kariyava
Pro
kariyava

You could also consider the xyron creatopia, which I just bought because I had no machines and I wanted something that could do die cuts from numerous different manufactures and full page dry embossing (plus the creatopia can put adhesive on paper/fabric/etc. and laminate!). It is expensive if you want to use all of its functions but it is truly the all in one machine.

Edited by kariyava on 05-06-10 01:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics