Username Post: one page vs two page layouts        (Topic#1534519)
mamaolie
New Kid On the Block
mamaolie

hi -

I am not new to scrapbooking but felt this questions would be more appropriate here.

I have always been a stickler for two page layouts. Problem is, sometimes I don't have enough photos or feel that one page tells the story. Has anyone else been in this situation...or gone from exclusively 2 pages to 1. I want to make the jump, but am hesitant...how do you make the pages blend, does it seem odd to have side by side pages that don't match?

Any advice (or encouragement) is welcomed.

Thanks - tracy

stephyirene
Veteran
stephyirene
In response to mamaolie

I'm glad you asked. I'm in the same boat, I've done a few one-pagers for the same reason but don't know what to do with the facing page. Looking forward to the replies!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-10-10 11:04 AM
In response to stephyirene

It is creatively free-ing to go to one-pagers. I don't give a moment's worry to clashing neighbor pages. In fact, I think the more they look different the better. That way the viewer knows that two pages aren't meant to go together.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to stephyirene

Personally, I find lately I don't do many 2-page layouts.

I don't think the pages look funny if they are not coordinating. I don't care if they 'blend.'

I use D-ring albums. I also do not scrap chronological, but I store my layouts chronologically in the album, so I'm constantly adding pages in the middle.
For me, it would simply be too much work to coordinate all my pages.

Since my layouts are arranged chronologically, I tend to have 'similar' pages together. For example, summer pages would be together.

Do what you like, makes you happy, and works for you! If one page layouts bother you, don't do them. If you don't have enough photos, add a lot of embellishment or journaling to create 2 pages.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

Izzy had a good point! I agree.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-10-10 11:11 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

I do multi-page, 2-page, and 1-page LOs. Sometimes the first page of my multi-page ones starts on the left, sometimes it starts on the right (like a title page).

And I don't care if facing pages blend at all. It's like reading a book - sometimes the left page is the end of one chapter and the right page is the beginning of a whole new one.

And I work like Linda - I don't scrap chronologically so I'm always adding pages in the middle, would drive me NUTS if I had to try to make things match.

Edited by kuzatab on 05-10-10 11:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mamaolie
New Kid On the Block
mamaolie
In response to stick

Thank you for your responses. I too don't scrap chronolgically but put my pages in the book that way. It is true that "like" themed pages (whose colors are often similar) will be together. I am going to give the one page layouts a whirl and see how I do...

thanks again.

Tracy

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to mamaolie

I almost always do 2-page layouts. If you have only a couple pages where you would like to do 1-page layouts, you could consider using them for the first and last pages of your album, which have to be 1-pagers anyway. If you are finding that you are liking 1-pages a lot, you can still coordinate your pages both in color/style and theme.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 05-11-10 08:14 AM
In response to kariyava

I am with all the ladies who say "do what makes you happy" - when I first started I thought that only 2 pagers were the way to go...but now whatever I feel like is what goes...
I love American Crafts customizable albums - they have all sorts of sizes of page protectors which I use in random combinations...that way I create los that work with the story and the photos I have.

Here is a set of los I did using those - I wanted to tell the story with 3 distinct parts so I used the 12X12s for the main story and the 6X6s for the 'side' stories.
Snow fun 101 By Gramary

snow fun 101 By Gramary
snow fun 101 By Gramary
snow fun 101 By Gramary

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to GMFTS

Since I make 8.5 x 11 pages I usually do 2 page layouts to get all the pictures scrapped. I like for my pages to coordinate so if I do 2 - different-side-by-side-la y outs I make them match colorwise.

My scrapping buddy does her albums 12x12 pages -- usually one page layouts and doesn't consider what is side-by-side. It looks fine.

I am sure you will decide in your mind soon. I remember when I was thinking about how to make my album......have fun!

Edited by wilbur on 05-11-10 09:55 AM. Reason for edit: spelling

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to wilbur

i like to keep my two page layouts together. even if it means i'll be missing a page. normally i just put a fancy piece of paper in so my book still flows

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to kelsey kay 2012

I can't remember why I went from 2 pages to 1 but it was incredibly liberating when I did

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrappercaz

I get bored with 2 pagers,,,,although occasionally I will do my girls (let's say) on paper from the same collection so it sort of matches, and then put them side by side in the book,,,

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics