Page 1 of 69 
Username Post: New Mommies Group!!        (Topic#1534561)
Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks

Come join our thread if you recently became a mom, whether this is your first child or otherwise. Here we can discuss anything and everything regarding our babies and how our lives have changed. This includes postpartum recovery, the emotional ups and downs, breastfeeding, baby care, sleeping patterns, milestones, teething, safety, developmental concerns, etc. Nothing is TMI in here! Feel free to share your newest baby-related scrapbooking layouts too - we would love to leave you some love!

Life with a new baby can be hectic, so do not worry
if you cannot check in with us daily and if you fall behind.
Just jump back in as you are able - we'll be here!

Here are our currently active mommies and babies:

Lauri (Lycosparks) - Adele Vivian(May 2, 2010)
Genie (Pookahbot) - Eleanor (March 27, 2010) and Evelyn (August 7, 2003)
Jessica (lovestoscrap3000) - Zachary (March 8, 2010)
Chris (CMLeach) - Harry Joseph (April 12, 2010)
Isabelle (Capucine) - Emilie (September 12, 2009)
Christine (sew_crafty_girl) - Anna Bea (April 11, 2010)
Dawn (Hands of Grace) - Noah Nathaniel (April 23, 2010)
Anne (taeklund) - Reagan Marie (May 14, 2010)
Misti (scrappinmonkey) - Casey Everett (March 11, 2010)
Erica (erobbspike) - Brendan (April 7, 2010)
Jenn (scraphappyjenn:D) - Emily (March 31, 2010) and Harley and Chloe (January 16, 2001)
Becky (Becky Scraps) - Alyson Mae (July 5, 2010)
Ginny (2girls2dogs) - Adeline Virginia (July 18, 2010)
Amanda (amandadunn) - Kathryn Christine (July 25, 2010)
Kate (ihacodb)- Megan (March 26, 2010)
Danielle (Danielle H) - Quinn Elizabeth (September 14, 2010)
Jessie (lossy) - Maddison Elizabeth (October 19, 2010)
Jennie (Bookworm410) - Maddox (October 11, 2010)
Shelly (mickeys70) - Bayleigh (November 28, 2009) and Jenna (June 17, 1992)
Dayna (JediScrapToo) - Jake (December 16, 2010)
CountrynCrafty- Ronnie(September 24, 2009) and Abigail Leeann (March 24, 2011)
Tiffany (seaexplore) - Alexandria Anne (August 11, 2011)
Scrapbook Queen - Lachlan Robert Patrick (August 19, 2011)

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to Lycosparks

hi lauri! i'm here
my two are eleanor, born 3/27/10 and evelyn, born 8/7/03

spent two hours last night trying to get the little one to go to sleep...ended up with about 4 hours of sleep and now i'm off to work. gah. so tired.
how are you guys doing with the sleeping?

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Pookahbot

Hi, Genie. Four hours and you have to work! Hope you can keep up your energy today. Does Eleanor usually cry for a couple hours, or was last night a rarity for you?

Adele has been a fairly good sleeper. We wake her up every four hours to feed, unless she wakes us up sooner. (We feed her every three hours during the daytime though.) Every once in a while she'll be inconsolably fussy, but not often, thankfully!

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000

hi ladies! I am here.

My newborn is Zachary - born 3/8/10

He just had his shots yesterday. Did very well. He isn't sleeping through the night though. Goes to sleep around 8pm and is then up at 3am. After 3am he wakes up every couple of hrs til we get up at 6am. It is pretty exhausting! I need to learn to go to bed when he does - but I always find something that needs done and i end up not going to be til 10 or 11. Zachary is a good baby though. Loves his swing and loves to be held.

I go back to work next week..then he will start daycare. Boo!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to lovestoscrap3000

Can I join in?

Hi Genie

My little one's Harry Joseph (going by middle name, though) - April 12, 2010

Sleeping...ugh...I almost don't even want to go there. We've had two really bad nights in a row. Sunday night, after two hours of trying to get Joey to sleep, I just gave up. He was wide awake till 1:30am, then up around 4:30, then again around 8 and every hour after until I got out of bed. Then last night, it took an hour to get him to bed. He slept for 30min, and then fought going back to bed till 2am when I finally just dragged him into bed with me (every time he fell asleep and I put him back in the bassinet would result in sobbing/screaming). He does NOT like being separated to sleep. But, I get a midday nap, and so all is good, for the most part.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to CMLeach

Hi, Jessica and Chris!

So here is a question then - do none of you wake your baby up to feed then? It sounds like you let the baby tell you when he/she is hungry. I've heard of people doing it either way. Or did you start off waking the baby up, and have already upgraded to letting him/her sleep??

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

I was told when I left the hospital by my OB, pediatrician and lactation consultant just to feed on demand and not to worry about waking my son. So I have never woken him. He did, of course, loose weight during the first 4 days, but by his 2wk appointment was up over his birth weight.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to CMLeach

Hi Lauri!

I would like to join too. Emilie was born September 12 2009.

Luckily she now does full nights (goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up between 6am and 7am. I always fed on demand especially the first 6 months whether it was exclusive breastfeeding (first 6 weeks), mix bf (2 feedings and 4 bottles a day from 6 wks to almost 5 months old) or bottle-only feedings(since 5 months old). After a few weeks she found her own routine. She was feeding every 3 hours during the day but at night she started sleeping longer stretches and at 2 months old she was doing 5 hours straight then 2 x 3 hours. At 4 months old she was doing 8h followed by a 3 hours. And now at almost 8 months old she sleeps the whole night. I was always told to feed on demand (milk or food).

Don't forget that babies go through growths spurts when they need more milk (I remember the rule of 3s: at 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months old). At these moments Emilie was sometimes asking for a feeding every 1 or 2 hours because she needed it. Then it would go back to her usual schedule.

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000
In response to Capucine

Oh no, I never wake mine up to feed. I did that once and regretted it - he cried and cried and wouldn't go back to sleep. He wakes up to let me know when he's hungry so that's what I go by. Seems to work that way for me, but it's different for everyone. Normally, he eats a 6oz bottle before he goes to bed so that normally holds him awhile.

I agree that they definately go through growth spurts. At around 1 month Zachary was eating constantly and could not seem to get enough..im always worried that Im not feeding him enough but oh does he let us know if he wants more!

For those of you formula feeding..what brand formula are you all using? I'm using Similac Sensitive..

Edited by lovestoscrap3000 on 05-11-10 12:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks

Hi, Izzy!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I'll have a talk with DH tonight to see if he agrees to feeding on demand from now on. Adele was back up to her birth weight by 5 days old! So it should be just fine. Speaking of, time to feed.

sew_crafty_girl
Expert
sew_crafty_girl

Hi there. Anna Bea was born April 11th. One month old today!

Right now we co-sleep so I'm getting quite a bit of sleep. We go to bed between 9-10 and she wakes twice during the night and we get up for the day around 8. Cranky times up to an hour long occasionally happens in the evening before bed, but once it was in the middle of the night.

Currently treating thrush so I have purple nipples and she has the cutest little purple mouth.

My older kids are 9,10,11,12.

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to sew_crafty_girl

(hi chris!)
we feed on demand; i did with my first, too. ellie is exclusively breastfed. i had to supplement with evie at first because my milk didn't come in very well.
ellie usually sleeps 4-6 hours at night, then nurses more often during the day, usually 2-3 hours with a longer nap after "lunch" (usually about 4 hours). she has developed a fussy time in the evening; it varies but usually starts around dinnertime and last night went really late; i hope that trend doesn't continue. her fussy time is pretty mild, really--she doesn't all out cry, it's more of a pay attention to me, i don't know what i want kind of squawk. she gets hiccups around the same time and i think they really bother her.
she was 6 lbs 13 oz at birth, 6 lbs 7 oz at 4 days, 7 lbs 8 oz at two weeks, and 9 lbs 3 oz at one month. i think she's at that 6 week growth spurt; this fussy time has lasted about a week and she seems to want to nurse all the time. also, i have proof she's suddenly longer because i had to break out the 3-6 month sleepers today. the 0-3 were too snug when she stretched and the feets were too small.
work wasn't too bad today--we lost power (windstorm knocked down a tree, a transformer blew and suddenly, 5000 people had no power. according to the website, it's still not back on!!). i'm lucky to be able to bring my baby to work with me. my boss is very family oriented and everyone seems to like having her around. plus, they got me back sooner this way, lol.
this little one likes to be held. i'm a worry wart and i'm trying not to be concerned about it, but she often wakes if she's put down and very often is only really content when she's on me. i bought a moby wrap and we both love it; it lets her have that closeness and it lets me get some stuff done. i hope that as she gets a little older, she'll allow a little more separation, but for now, i'm trying to just enjoy the snuggling since they're only small for so long.
oh and on the tmi front i've started my period already. ugh. they want me to wait until june to have the iud put back in so it won't migrate with my uterus possibly still changing. boo.
it's good to hear everyone's babies are doing so well, and nice to meet those of you who weren't on the pg thread with us.
sorry for the long post, but don't you feel sometimes like everyone's tired of hearing about the baby details? it's nice to have a place where it's ok to post it, even if you don't read it all.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Delete My Account

Hi, Christine and Dawn.

Christine, hope the thrush clears up soon. I cannot believe Anna is one month old already! Has it just flown by?

Genie, I agree, so nice to have somewhere to talk about all of this. And I think the hiccups bother Adele too! She seems to get so upset when she has them! Glad work is going well, and that they like having her around!

Dawn, shame the nurses gave you bad advice! Glad you're coming into a schedule now though.

Well, I am 10 days postpartum today. It is still uncomfortable to sit down (I sometimes sit on my Boppy pillow!). But on a positive note, I've lost 25 of the 38 pounds that I had gained during pregnancy! Breastfeeding is the best weight-loss plan ever! We still set an alarm last night (for every 5 hours), afraid that Adele wouldn't wake us up when she was hungry. But she did, so hopefully we'll be feeding more on demand than not from now on. Thanks for the advice, mommies!

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000

hey all you mommies just checking in..zachary had his shots on monday and he is 13pds 2 oz!! A BIG boy..

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks

How is everyone doing today?

And here is a personal question: how are everyone's hormones, or, how were they in the first couple weeks postpartum? I hate to admit it, but sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the responsibility of taking care of Adele, and the permanence of her. Can anyone else relate? Does anyone else still feel like she can burst into tears as easily as when she was pregnant??

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

Lauri -- My hormones are still a bit out of whack, that's for sure.

Took Joey for his one month appointment today -- 11lbs2oz and 23.5". Going to be a tall one... Plus he got his second Hepatitis B vax and next month we'll start the next set of vaccinations.

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000
In response to CMLeach

Lauri - My emotions are better now but right after Zachary was born, I cried all the time. I will admit it. I was really emotional all the time, esp when all my family left from visiting from out of town. Part of it was the frustration with not being able to breast feed too. At my appt a few weeks ago with my dr for my follow up the minute she walked in the room i burst into tears. I was so embarrassed. She prescribed me a medication but I have since drawn strength from my church and husband and have been able to overcome it without the need for meds. We have very little family where we live so it is hard at times. I have to learn to rely on my support system more.

Pretty embarrassing but, that's my situation. I hope no one thinks im crazy.

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot

i'm pretty emotional normally and have been treated for mild clinical depression for many years. post partum depression hit me really hard with my first, but i think i'm more even this time. i've been on medication since evie was born (she'll be 7 in august) and i think that's helping me stay more even this time. don't get me wrong, i definitely have ups and downs, probably more than the average person. i find myself crying for no real reason and i blame myself for everything...even things that aren't really wrong. husband tries to get me to stop watching law and order because it gives me nightmares about the girls getting hurt and i wake up crying and frantic to make sure they're alright.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Pookahbot

Chris, glad to hear Joey's appointment went well!

Jessica, we certainly don't think you're crazy. I can relate on many levels, and I'm sure the others can too. I've burst into tears over breastfeeding troubles, and even over nothing important. And it is definitely tough to be away from family. We don't live near any family either, but thankfully they have been coming up for a day-trip on weekends so far. Good for you for drawing strength from those around you. I hope the worst is over for you and that things are looking up!

Genie, it must have been so difficult for you after Evie was born. But I'm so glad you're feeling more even and positive this time around. I didn't even think about how TV shows could more easily set us off now that we have children. Sitcoms are a wonderful thing - stick with those!

Thank you for sharing your personal situations. It's nice to know that others can relate!

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000

genie-i went through a period of being so parnaoid something was going to happen to zachary. i would stand over his crib and cry..

i still worry now but; just less..

Page 1 of 69 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics