Page 4 of 69 
Username Post: New Mommies Group!!        (Topic#1534561)
taeklund
Governor
taeklund
In response to Pookahbot

Lauri, I am so sorry about the infection! I don't know what I would do knowing the doctor made such a mistake that impacted my health as well as hindered my ability to breastfeed. I really think I would be talking to a lawyer. Hope you are healing up now!

I haven't had a painful let down, except when I had mastitus with Kadence. I think if it was a breast infection though, by now it would hurt all the time. Hope it feels better soon Genie!

Chris, I also recommend contacting a lactation consultant to help with your latch. If you cannot find one or cannot afford it (although most insurance companies will pay for a visit so check with them first), try a Medela nipple shield which they sell at Target or Babies R Us. It requires the baby to have a proper latch in order to get milk and it also helps protect your breast while it is healing. Also, lather on the lanolin as it helps the nipple heal faster.

Kadence had really bad acne from about 1 week to about 4 weeks, but thus far Reagan's skin has been really clear. We will see if it develops because she is only 10 days old.

So please do not throw things at me for this next question...I do not wake Reagan to eat at night, but is there a point where I should? She slept 9 hours last night before waking! She had been up most of yesterday and we took a walk in the park, which probably tired her out, but I never would have expected her to sleep that long. After hour 6 (she had been sleeping 6 at a time since about 3 days) I was up about every half an hour worried and checking on her. Now this morning she is eating a lot! Gotta fill back up after her long night!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to taeklund

I have a LC I can see through the pediatrician. I've been working with Joey to fix his latch. He just gets so anxious and likes to pull my nipple in the way you'd suck a noodle into your mouth. But, like I said, we're working to fix it. It doesn't hurt so much while nursing anymore except right at the start, but they hurt just touching my bra/nursing pads. And the lotion...eh, it's all right and helping somewhat. The right side is healing quicker than the left with using it.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to CMLeach

Glad you have someone to help you fix his latch. Hope you make more progress quickly!

And speaking of bras and bra pads...does everyone sleep with their bras on? I'm so tired of wearing a bra 24/7. But if Adele sleeps 4-5 hours in a row, I'll get too full and start leaking. I've heard some people take it off, and just sleep on a towel. Tried it once, may do it again!

taeklund
Governor
taeklund
In response to Lycosparks

I have a sports bra I wear to bed, its a size too big so its comfy but holds the pads in place. You might also be able to find a tank top with a built in bra that will work, I just thought of that and might have to look for one!

taeklund
Governor
taeklund

My daughter did the funniest thing today! I caught her sitting in the corner with two cups on her chest whispering Pump, Pump, Pump. When I asked what she was doing, she giggled and replied, "making Reagan milk, mama".

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000
In response to taeklund

thanks for the comments ladies on the diaper changing thing. since it was his first week i am going to give them a break and see how the 2nd week goes..then say something if it persists. i wish i could have done cloth diapers but unfort not.

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000
In response to lovestoscrap3000

im so jealous of all you ladies that are breastfeeding. i simply did not produce enough - and i had a horrible experience breastfeeding. having a 9pd baby he needed to eat alot and i just did not produce enough..i did pump til he was 6 wks..but still..i was pretty upset when i didnt produce enough..

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to lovestoscrap3000

lauri, i don't wear a pad to bed. ellie's older than your adele, though, so i'm not leaking as much as i initially was. (once the milk comes in and a feeding pattern is established, you won't leak nearly as much. at least most people don't, you may just be a leaker!) in the early days when it was bad or when i'm full because the bean hasn't woken yet, i have been known to use medical tape and pads. yup. it's better than wearing a stinkin' bra 24/7!!

kadie is too funny, anne

jessica, i was the same way with my first and i so remember being there. i was so unhappy when we first supplemented with formula, my poor husband had to deal with tears from both of us. i was lucky and the milk eventually came in, but we supplemented for a few months and then every time she had a growth spurt. it took a long time for me to accept that we did the right thing by giving her formula. hugs!

scraphappyjenn:D
Diva
In response to Pookahbot

hi gals. i make plenty of milk but still supplement one bottle of formula a day because she isn't gaining enough weight. I am thinking my milk isn't fatty enough if that makes sense?

Also, I had bad cracked nipples and bought those plastic shields that are round so nothing could touch my nipples. They worked good for the healing. Only took a couple days.

And yes, my letdown is extremely painful. I hold my breath for about 30 seconds and can't even move because it hurts worse. It's like pins and needles and maybe like a horse is stomping on my boobs...lol.. I might be exaggerating a little...but just a little

Diva
In response to scraphappyjenn:D

P.s. now i think my older dd has pink eye. we are going to the minute clinic to find out in a little while. Please pray for us that the baby doesn't get it!

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to scraphappyjenn:D

Anne, great idea about the built-in-bras! I'll take a look around. Cute avatar too, btw!!

Jessica, I'm so sorry that you couldn't pump beyond 6 weeks. That happened to a good friend of mine too. I'm only at 3 weeks now, so I keep worrying that I won't produce enough milk eventually too. It must be so upsetting making the switch permanently to formula.

Genie, too funny! I only had scotch tape, and tried that a week or so ago. Obviously didn't hold very well! Glad I'm not the only one looking ridiculous at bedtime, lol.

Jenn, hoping Emily doesn't get it!!

Capucine
Idol
Capucine

Lauri, I know how you feel when discarding breastmilk. Last weekend I finally got the courage to throw away the milk I had in the freezer. When I switched from exclusively breastfeeding to mixed when Emilie was 6 weeks old because my milk was giving her very bad cramps and diarhea ((4 feedings with a prescription formula and 2 breastfeedings a day), I rented a hospital-grade pump so I could go back to exclusive breastfeeding later if I wanted. I pumped 4 times a day for a month and I collected more than 100 5-6oz bags in the freezer. Unfortunately, my milk was still giving her cramps even at 6 months old and when she decided to refuse the breast, we switched 100% to formula. Switching to formula made me sad a little. Not because I thought formula wasn't good for her (in fact it was better in our situation) but because I was the ones giving cramps. So to go back to throwing away milk, I threw at least 60 bags Saturday when I finally convinced myself I had to let go. Again I was sad. Anyway, sorry for the rambling!

BTW, I also slept with a bra for almost 4 months. To sleep without one and without a pad was such a freedom!!! Even if I LOVED my bravado bra that is the best in the world!!!

Edited by Capucine on 05-25-10 12:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to Capucine

Jenn, have you tried giving only one breast per feeding so that the baby gets more of the fatty milk. Emilie was probably having a lactose intolerance (very rare to be intolerant to human lactose but it can happen apparently) and because my milk production was very abundant, I was told to give one breast per feeding because the milk that is expelled first is high in lactose and lower in fat. Then it's the fatty milk that comes and this one is lower in lactose and higher in fat. Switching breast to quickly can prevent the baby to get a lot of fatty milk.

I'm also crossing my fingers for no pink eye!!!

sew_crafty_girl
Expert
sew_crafty_girl
In response to Capucine

nak

i'm here and reading just haven't had a chance to reply.

acne - yes
painful letdown - no
leaking - only on the side i don't feed on at night. i drape a burp cloth across my leaky breast.

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to sew_crafty_girl

oh no jenn! i hope she keeps the pink eye to herself!

ellie had her 2-month check up today--she's 11 lbs, 2 oz and 22 1/2 inches, 75th percentile for both. doctor is happy with her development and growth. she had vaccinations today and reacted badly. horribly fussy and unhappy all afternoon and into the evening--almost 2 hours of crying initially and then just fussing and whimpering. my poor little bean. rough day on mom, too.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Pookahbot

Oh, Genie, how awful! Poor Ellie and poor you!!

Hi, Christine!

Izzy, that must have been so sad to throw all those bags away. I'm so sorry to hear that the milk made Emilie uncomfortable.

Question for today - what do you do during your baby's "awake" time, as a newborn? Do/Did you try to stimulate him/her the entire time?

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

• Lycosparks Said:
Question for today - what do you do during your baby's "awake" time, as a newborn? Do/Did you try to stimulate him/her the entire time?

I talk to Joey a lot. We'll have "conversations" throughout the day. I mimic his facial expressions back to him...sometimes get cooing/smiles from that. I lay him on his front, and he works on lifting himself up -- which he does quite well. Sometimes I pick him up so he's "standing" (he reflexively pushes against the floor, etc.). We do rocket ships, blasting him up off my lap and into the air, sometimes over my head in an arc.

I apparently have too much time on my hands, lol.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to CMLeach

Oh that is great! Real smiles, huh? So far Adele is still only smiling as she's falling asleep or from gas! We did catch one on camera though - she is so cute - can't wait for the smiles to be real in response to us!

I try to read a short story to her for a few minutes, if she isn't fussy at all. I sing to her a bunch during the day. I'm not a naturally talkative person, so though I do try to talk to her and narrate what we're doing, it isn't as often as I'd like! That's where the reading and songs come in handy!

What are your thoughts on TV? If we have it on for ourselves, she sometimes turns her head towards it - the bright lights, moving pictures attract her attention. Some people are so against babies watching TV.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

I let him "watch" TV. They're too young to actually see anything. They see colors...all but blue/violet (the wavelengths are too short), but they're still very near-sighted so tv is stimulation just like watching a mobile is. But I'm not going to turn the TV off just so he doesn't "watch" it. It's not like the fascination lasts very long anyway...

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to CMLeach

So true - and that is exactly how I feel about it. We'll be more careful about leaving it on when she can actually comprehend what it is!

Just blue and violet, eh? And here I am still showing her black and white patterns. Time to incorporate some color!

Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands too.

Page 4 of 69 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics