Page 5 of 69 
Username Post: New Mommies Group!!        (Topic#1534561)
sew_crafty_girl
Expert
sew_crafty_girl
In response to CMLeach

Lauri, I lay on the couch with her on my legs and sing to her and do motions with her hands and feet. My favorite is the "I love you l" song from the elephant show. She is content to lay in her basinette (in our family room), play mat or crib and look at toys, kick her legs and coo. We do the occasional tummy time on my chest or blanket. She likes the swing. I walk around the house holding her and talking to her at the mirrors. I think it is kinda boring trying to entertain a young baby. Before long they'll be demanding all our attention!

We had another chiro appt today for anna's clicky hip. Hope it pays off.

No predictable daytime routine emerging yet. The other day she slept of the day away and yesterday she barely slept.

Our first shots are in a couple weeks. I hope that giving her pain meds beforehand will help keep the discomfort away.

Well gotta change her bum. She pooped while I was nursing her. One of her fave times to poop, along with in the swing.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to sew_crafty_girl

I love to sing her the "A You're Adorable..." alphabet song and the "I.M.4.U." song. Gets her hearing all the letters and numbers!

I noticed Adele poops when I pick her up to nurse too. Speaking of nursing, this heat had her sleeping all afternoon. She didn't wake up or stay up to eat! DH just put in the AC boxes, so hopefully she'll wake up hungry soon.

Oh, and when I tried nursing her on one side, the other leaked right through my bra. I like being green and using the washable pads, but the disposables have yet to leak through...so I may consider switching to those!!

What does everyone use - washable or disposable??

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to Lycosparks

Hello!

To answer the tv question, I always watched tv even when Emilie was a newborn. But I was careful that she didn't look at it too much directly because even though they can't see the images it's very stimulating for them. In fact, some studies showed that overstimulated babies are more prone to colics. Do you have a play mat? If I have another baby I will be him or her on it very young (few weeks old vs 3 months old for Emilie). Softer stimulation than tv for sure.

Edited by Capucine on 05-26-10 05:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to Capucine

Breastfeeding Mommas, I have a question for you all: How often is/was your baby feeding at 6-weeks-old?

sew_crafty_girl
Expert
sew_crafty_girl

When I used to leak with my first babes, I used disposable pads. Just be careful to change then often so you don't breed yeast and get thrush.

Chris, when Anna is awake she wants to eat a lot. I don't keep track but I'm sure it's every2 hours. I also don't watch the clock at night but I think she's eating every 3-4 hours (we co-sleep). She's 6 wks.

Edited by sew_crafty_girl on 05-26-10 06:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine

Chris, at 6 weeks old (before we switched to mixed breastfeeding) Emilie was feeding every 3 hours. I remember that it was like she had a timer or something. And on evenings (between 6pm and 11pm) she could feed every hours sometimes (called grouped feedings and perfectly normal according to my La Leche League book on breastfeeding).

I used both washable and disposable. The only disposable I liked were b Gerber. The washable ones were from a cloth diaper company here in Mtl and were in bamboo (more absorbant than cotton).

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to Capucine

i'm using washable pads right now, but i like the disposable better. it's dumb but i never remember to wash the darn things! i forgot to put them in before work yesterday and spent a good part of the day with nice quarter sized leak spots on the front of my shirt. i guess it goes with the drool (she likes to try to eat my shirt) and spit up spots
ellie has been fairly consistent with her eating since about 5-6 weeks; during the day, it's usually 2-3 hours, with one longer stretch. in the evening, during fussy time, it's often every hour. during the night, about 5-6, sometimes up to 8. of course, she won't take a pacifier so i think some of those grouped feedings in the evening are more about comfort than hunger.

scraphappyjenn:D
Diva
scraphappyjenn:D
In response to Pookahbot

Genie, it is so amazing how much our babies are alike, I trip everytime I read what you write because it is exactly the same over here! We have the same feeding schedule. I never remember to give her a pacifier unless we are in the car but she will take it. We have those every hour/half hour feedings in the evening also. Maybe I should give her the sucky.

Anyway, at night I use the disposable breastpads because I leak so much, they fill up a lot at night because Emily sleeps good at night. But during the day I use reusable until I run out I have 4 pairs and only have time to do laundry on the weekends

I do feed her only one breast at a feeding for more fatty stuff. I have no idea if that is even the reason she isn't gaining the weight, but there has to be a reason right? She still has a latching problem and we are using a breast shield but I've been trying to gradually stop...but it still hurts alot.

So far no one else has gotten pink eye. I am grateful that my "more responsible" dd got it or we probably would all have it by now! Thanks for the thoughts!

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to scraphappyjenn:D

what a rough week, poor ellie was so unhappy through friday. i think she may have had some lingering pain from the injections, coupled with me being too active and getting overtired. it was a really bad couple of days, most often ending with me crying right along with her. with evie, i never had to really curb my activity, she would sleep whatever we did and never seemed to get overtired/overstimulated. i think ellie is more sensitive and i'm going to have to to remember that we need to be settled when it's time for her sleepies.
i hope you're all enjoying a holiday weekend

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Pookahbot

Aw, Genie. Sorry to hear you and Ellie are having a few upsetting days over there! Hope she is feeling better soon and that you can relax.

Jenn, still no more pink eyes in your house? Hope so!

Hope everyone had a nice long weekend! We traveled with Adele for the first time, and spent a couple nights at my parents' house. We didn't forget anything of hers, yay! One thing that was slightly annoying though was having to leave the room to either feed her, or for me to pump while someone fed her a bottle.

For those who are nursing or have nursed - do you do it discreetly in front of people, or do you leave the room? I was considering a coverup of some kind...an udder cover? Anyone try these? I have the coupon code for a free one, but read somewhere that it is also a scam and they can randomly charge your credit card months later. Any thoughts on this brand or similar ones? At first I thought it'd be a bit awkward, but it may be better than disappearing for an hour at a time, every few hours!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

Jenn -- no pink eye

Genie -- a on the unhappiness. Hoping things got/get better.

Lauri -- I breastfeed in public (have done so at the airport, the open-air mall, at school, plus at others' homes). I DO coverup when I breastfeed if I'm anywhere but my home, but all I use is a blanket that I throw over my shoulder and covers Joey up. About all anyone ever sees of him is his legs poking out from under. However, a lot of times I do get up and situate myself in another room or the bathroom.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to CMLeach

Lauri, I always breastfed Emilie in public. I was using an udder cover and liked it a lot. You can also find something equivalent at BabyRUs for 10-15$. If someone was uncomfortable, too bad. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world and I find it's sad that it's now a little taboo in some circles and places.

Lycosparks
Mayor
Lycosparks
In response to Capucine

Thanks, Chris and Izzy! I would love to be comfortable nursing in public. Did some research this morning - have you ever heard of a MoBoleez?? It is a big ol' hat you put on baby to nurse in public. It's just about the cutest thing ever. Take a peek!

MoBoleez!

Adele is one month old today - yay!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach

Lauri -- Those are cute! Unfortunately, Joey's head is so big (his head circumference at one month was 15") I'd have to get the 6-12mo size and it wouldn't last us through his first birthday.

And yay for month-birthdays!

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to CMLeach

i nurse wherever i am. i cover up depending on where we are. i have an udder cover; i used the free code months ago and haven't had my card charged again (just the s/h i authorized). ellie doesn't really like it, though--she gets distracted and doesn't nurse well, so i only use it when i have to. i do get a little uncomfortable being in public, but i'm getting used to it.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to Pookahbot

At first I was very uncomfortable when nursing in public but you get used to it. In fact, I found it easier to do when I was with strangers than with family.

sew_crafty_girl
Expert
sew_crafty_girl

Lauri, If I can't find a nice, secluded bench to sit on when I'm out, then I use my Bebe Au Lait nursing cover up. When a friend passed this on to me, I kinda scoffed because I had NIP with my other babies, and with my second one I rarely covered up. The nice thing about a specific cover, as opposed to a big receiving blanket (because I've done both this time) is that it stays in place easily and it gives you a 'peep' hole to be able to watch baby easily. It'll come in handy if your baby likes to pull off and look around as they get bigger.

I just block out everyone around me and soak in the beautiful sight of my baby nursing.

lovestoscrap3000
Idol
lovestoscrap3000

Hey ladies..sorry I have not been around for awhile.

Zachary was in the hospital and we just got home yesterday. What a mess. He was running a fever this past weekend so we went to the ER. They told us it was just a bad cold. We went to the doctor on Tuesday and they said to go right to the hospital. His white blood cell count was way high. The were thinking at first he may have meningitis. But it turns out he did not. Thank God. They did all kinds of tests and basically it came down to a bad virus. They did meds, breathing stuff and he is much better. No fever for 2 days and he is back to his giggly self again. He won’t be going back to day care until next week. I suspect he picked up the virus from me as I had a bad cold one week and its pretty much impossible to not pass it on.

I’m just glad he is ok. I was scared to death.

taeklund
Governor
taeklund
In response to lovestoscrap3000

Glad he is home and feeling better Jessica! That had to be so scary!

Pookahbot
Governor
Pookahbot
In response to lovestoscrap3000

how awful jessica...so glad he's home and ok!

Page 5 of 69 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics