Page 66 of 69 
Username Post: New Mommies Group!!        (Topic#1534561)
Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to scraprabbit

Well, we survived the 4 month shots on Friday. I was terrified that it'd be bad since he had a bit of a hard time after the 2 month ones. He hardly even cried, didn't run a fever, and still slept through the night. He was fussy yesterday, but we had visitors all weekend and I think he was still all keyed up from the excitement.

He's only in the 14% for his weight, so that freaked me out. His pediatrician said that he wasn't really concerned about it, but now that he's been on all mommy's milk for a few months I'm concerned that I'm not making enough for him again. I know I'm just stressing myself out for nothing though because he seems satisfied after he eats, has plenty of wet/dirty diapers, and sleeps through the night most of the time. Mommy can't help but worry

So, mommies ... How do you get your little ones down for naps? Ethan goes to sleep so easily at night, but I can't get him down for a nap to save my life. He will eventually fall asleep while I'm nursing him if he's really tired, but he won't stay asleep. He'll take a great nap in his car seat if we're out and about, but I don't like doing that. He will take a few cat naps at daycare and they say he isn't fussy. Should I be worried? He still sleeps through the night for the most part, but I'm worried that he isn't getting as much sleep as he needs. The pediatrician didn't seem overly concerned about that either, but I can tell he's tired.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Coastie Wife

Vicki - Nate is in the 3% for weight. Yep, 3%. He's healthy. The doc is making us come in next week for a weigh-in between the 9 and 12 month appts to make sure he's gaining. He's just fine though. And actually, if you go by the WHO charts for breastfed babies, he's more like 13% and has actually been GAINING %s since 4 months (he's 10 months now). Breastfed babies gain differently and at different times than formula babies. My doc is stupid. She's also freaking out because he wasn't hands-and-knees crawling at 9 months. Duh - some babies NEVER crawl. Seriously gonna switch doc's when I get pregnant again. She's the closest now, but I will NOT be going back for a second birth there, so I'll be switching doc's eventually anyway.

Don't know what to tell you about naps. Nate has been awesome with his sleeping/napping - except he doesn't nap as much at daycare because he's too busy playing with the other kids.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Naps? Babies nap?

Ally ONLY naps if she's in the car (wakes up when we stop) or nursing (put her down, or even move, she wakes up). To go to bed at night, she gets nursed to sleep.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to Seaexplore

LOL, well you all made me feel better.

The pediatrician said the 14% was from the breastfeed charts. He is very pro breastfeeding. He wasn't concerned, but I freaked out because the little dude lost so much weight in the beginning and it took us so long to get him to start gaining it back. He seems fine and satisfied though so I shouldn't be stressing about it.

As far as naps, I guess I should just be happy that he sleeps 9-11 hours straight most nights and just deal with it. Maybe he just doesn't need as much sleep as most babies.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

Sarah ... my nephews went straight to pulling up and walking. I think one of them didn't even start to roll over till he was almost walking. We always joked that crawling was apparently beneath them since they skipped it.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

In the past few days, Nate has perfected the army crawl. He'd been working on it for awhile, but he will go really fast now towards the PlayStation.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 04-24-12 05:46 PM

• scraprabbit Said:
  • ELynn Said:
Sarah and Vicki, LOVE the new avi's! so cute!

Vicki, two more teething toys, one an apple. Of course, not till you start solids or are ready. I was eating mine, she pulled it towards her, and gnawed on it, holding it with both hands. I'm thinking it felt good! and a bubble book from target dollar spot.

New fav toy? A plastic cup.

so far I haven't found any veggies that dd wants. Mainly she likes apples, pears, strawberry (with banana or alone), not too found of the banana alone, but I did mix it with oatmeal one morning and she ate it. Mainly whatever I give her becomes a toy, so I'm holding off again. Once I have her high chair, I'll be able to give her a few pieces and have less mess.

Less mess.

Yeah.

So, Nate will eat finger foods like cheerios, rice chex, toast, crackers, etc, but not much else. Fruits, veggies, no. Meat - once in awhile. I'm sure it's a texture thing, because he LIKES the food if he gets it in a spoon, but not sure how to pick up something that's not dry. I read an idea to crush up cheerios and coat a piece of fruit with it - yeah, he just picked off the tiny pieces of cheerios and ate those. He's working on his 8th tooth. The cutest thing is when he actually bites off a piece of toast (rather than gumming it). He puts it between his front teeth, carefully bites down, and pulls it with his hand to bite off a chunk. Man, that kid loves toast!

I read to try that with bananas...as of now she just smashes the banana...

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 04-24-12 05:50 PM

• Seaexplore Said:
Naps? Babies nap?

Ally ONLY naps if she's in the car (wakes up when we stop) or nursing (put her down, or even move, she wakes up). To go to bed at night, she gets nursed to sleep.

whew. so glad we're not the only ones....

• Seaexplore Said:
Hey E! Ally's got 2 bottom teeth but they're not in all the way.

oooo how did she do?

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 04-24-12 06:01 PM

• Coastie Wife Said:
Well, we survived the 4 month shots on Friday. I was terrified that it'd be bad since he had a bit of a hard time after the 2 month ones. He hardly even cried, didn't run a fever, and still slept through the night. He was fussy yesterday, but we had visitors all weekend and I think he was still all keyed up from the excitement.

He's only in the 14% for his weight, so that freaked me out. His pediatrician said that he wasn't really concerned about it, but now that he's been on all mommy's milk for a few months I'm concerned that I'm not making enough for him again. I know I'm just stressing myself out for nothing though because he seems satisfied after he eats, has plenty of wet/dirty diapers, and sleeps through the night most of the time. Mommy can't help but worry

So, mommies ... How do you get your little ones down for naps? Ethan goes to sleep so easily at night, but I can't get him down for a nap to save my life. He will eventually fall asleep while I'm nursing him if he's really tired, but he won't stay asleep. He'll take a great nap in his car seat if we're out and about, but I don't like doing that. He will take a few cat naps at daycare and they say he isn't fussy. Should I be worried? He still sleeps through the night for the most part, but I'm worried that he isn't getting as much sleep as he needs. The pediatrician didn't seem overly concerned about that either, but I can tell he's tired.

1-don't worry. (is that possible?) if he's satisfied and sleeping and active. You could try eating fattier foods and making sure he gets the hind milk (or so I was told...lol). dd has stayed at 75%...

2-put down for a nap? I'm sorry, I don't understand that concept...I've heard rumors of such...
We either -a nurse to sleep (horrible habit, but I'm ok with it), sleep in car (glad I drive a honda, yes, I have been known to drive an extra 20-30 minutes or hang out in the car playing on my phone till she wakes), or we've started co-sleeping for naps so I can get a nap.

From what I've learned (take it for it worth), I have to catch dd at the first yawn or sign she's tired, or just know. I was told to try to put down after 1.5 hours, from morning wake time. Which is about right for her. Now, though, if she misses morning nap, she's ok, but she NEEDS a good afternoon nap.

it's a lot of hit or miss. sleeping well at night for us equals better naps.

I asked her ped, he said at her age, 6 months, she needs 12 hours of sleep, however which way she gets it. he said some babies don't nap (I dropped naps early! daycare wasn't happy.

since back to sleep started lots of babies skip crawling due to less time on tummies. dd has been trying to be mobile since day one. her new hang out? the back glass door. yep. I'm pretty sure she's plotting her escape. She was sitting on her blanket, I had the front door open, I swear in ten seconds she was off! I called her name, she looks up 'what...I'm not doing anything...'

• scraprabbit Said:
In the past few days, Nate has perfected the army crawl. He'd been working on it for awhile, but he will go really fast now towards the PlayStation.

omg. HOW DO THEY know? I mean really, if it's not hers, she's off! I have the two rooms were in child proof...lmoa. right. I see her take off...puppy's ball, daddy's shoe. Last night dh thought she was crawling to him, so cool right? His face lights up, he's cheering her on, she passes him by...she wanted the vacuum cleaner.

I LOVE our pedi. like I've never been so impressed with a doctor before. he spends time with us/her!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ELynn

• ELynn Said:
  • Seaexplore Said:
Naps? Babies nap?

whew. so glad we're not the only ones....

• Seaexplore Said:
Hey E! Ally's got 2 bottom teeth but they're not in all the way.

oooo how did she do?

She's great with the teething. Not fussy, no runny nose, it's been fairly smooth sailing so far.

Now to get her to sleep for more than 7 hours at night. The kid just doesn't sleep!

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

okay, so I see that I'm totally not alone in the nap department

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 04-25-12 04:48 PM

does she go back down after 7 hours or is she awake? I'd take 7 straight! glad to hear she did well!

oh, pedi said top 2 come in 1-4 months after bottom.

The plus of co-sleeping is I don't have to get up, the negative is I have to sleep when she does. which, isn't all that bad, but...

Vicki, I've been trying to do better with nap. At 4 months, I'd at least try to lay her down. I'd put her in her crib with the musical seahorse. she'd play/talk with her feet, but I got a few minutes.

Now, I just stick her in bed with me and nurse. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

DD tosses and turns and flips and flops to put herself to sleep, for like 10-15 minutes. She falls asleep on about the third time I reset the seahorse (sometimes, she resets it). cracks me up. arms flap. she made a face like she was going to scream, pulled her legs under her and was out. I burst out laughing.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ELynn

Nope, she does NOT go back to sleep after 7 hours. After another 3 hours or so, with a bottle or boob, she'll sleep for about 30 min. Just don't put her down!

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

Do your babies sleep on their tummies? Ethan has decided that he wants to roll over and stay on his tummy at night now instead of rolling and getting mad until we flip him back over (even though he knows how to do that himself ). He had his face planted right in the crib mattress this morning and it freaked me out. I know they say that they are fine once they learn how to roll, but it makes me worry all night that he'll suffocate and I won't know it. We have a twin bed in his room and I "slept" in it last night so I could hear him breathing.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 04-26-12 09:57 AM

Vicki, dd sleeps all over! but yes, she likes her tummy, but her face is to the side. but mostly she sleeps all laid out or cuddled next to me. I don't think she's found her way to sleep yet. She'll also sleep on her side.

If it worries you, you can roll two blankets on either side of him to prevent him from rolling over. Place the blankets under his arms. (DD doesn't move once sleeping, so we were able to do this).

Pedi cleared her for tummy sleeping at 6 month appt. He also said the risk of sids has passed?

Tiff, I do think your Ally sleeps less than my dd! Last night, in bed 845, up at 630 for an hour, then down for 2 hours. We were only getting 30 minute naps, but since I've started laying with her, rather than holding her in the glidder, she'll sleep longer.

Bad habit? Don't really care, I just know my kid needs sleep, and I'm will do to what it takes.

But Tiff, I was hoping dd would grow out of it soon...you're not giving me hope!

So, babies who you lay down and they sleep, they are just a myth, aren't they?

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to ELynn

We got together with 5 other couples last night. We all have babies that were born within two weeks of each other. It seems from talking to those mommies that Ethan is a pretty good sleeper. I shall count my blessings and take my non-napping baby that sleeps all night.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

Oh, and I called the pedi about the sleeping on the tummy thing and he said to let him be since he's really good with holding his head up and rolling. Still makes me worry though. I don't think he'd go for me trying to keep him from rolling with towels, but it may be worth a try if he could still sleep that way.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

• Coastie Wife Said:
Do your babies sleep on their tummies? Ethan has decided that he wants to roll over and stay on his tummy at night now instead of rolling and getting mad until we flip him back over (even though he knows how to do that himself ). He had his face planted right in the crib mattress this morning and it freaked me out. I know they say that they are fine once they learn how to roll, but it makes me worry all night that he'll suffocate and I won't know it. We have a twin bed in his room and I "slept" in it last night so I could hear him breathing.

As soon as I put Ally down she rolls herself onto her tummy. It was worrisome at first but now I'm just thankful she's sleeping more than 4 hours at a time so she can sleep however she wants!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

Sorry - some babies really do sleep! Nate started sleeping through the night at 2 months. Now he goes to bed around 8-8:30, up for bottle around 5:30 and then usually goes back to sleep until 7:00 or so. If he stays up later, he gets up later in the morning. Morning nap for 1.5-2.5 hours, and usually 1-2 shorter afternoon naps. At daycare he often doesn't take an afternoon nap, but then comes home super cranky.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Mine decided that yesterday's wake up was 3:30. This morning it was 2:45. Um, I need sleep!

She enjoyed 3 pieces of California roll last night at sushi. Ate it all - eggs, rice, sea weed, crab, avocado, cucumer.

Page 66 of 69 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics