Page 68 of 69 
Username Post: New Mommies Group!!        (Topic#1534561)
scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Seaexplore

I'd totally be a SAHM in a heartbeat. I totally get that it's not for everyone though. I'll probably be just 3 days/week next fall, so I'm looking forward to being home more.

How's dh doing with the SAHD thing, Tiff? Enjoying it?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to scraprabbit

DH is enjoying being a SAHD. He said he feels like it's a bit of a cop ut since he doesn't want to work for someone so now he has a reason to be home and not "working".

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

That works out great for both of you then!

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

• scraprabbit Said:
Vicki - Is Ethan breastfed? My doc also told me a story about how a little girl (breastfed) was in the 3% for weight until about age 2-3 or so. Then she just grew right up! That couple's next baby was a chunk from the start - 9 lbs at birth and was never small.

Yep, he's breastfeed and gets expressed milk at daycare. I work 4 days/week and only breastfeed on my days off and the weekends. I'm thinking about starting solids soon. He'll be 5 mos. next week. Not sure if I'm ready, but I think he is.

ELynn, one of our friends signed up for a half iron man as his first triathlon too and we can't wait to see his reaction when he "attempts" it. He's fit, but not that fit. DH hopes to finish his season with a full iron man this year. He has a nationals qualifying race that we're traveling for in a few weeks. It'll be our first road trip (longer than just a few hours) with the little man and I'm anxious and excited.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-11-12 05:05 AM
In response to Coastie Wife

• Coastie Wife Said:
  • scraprabbit Said:
Vicki - Is Ethan breastfed? My doc also told me a story about how a little girl (breastfed) was in the 3% for weight until about age 2-3 or so. Then she just grew right up! That couple's next baby was a chunk from the start - 9 lbs at birth and was never small.

Yep, he's breastfeed and gets expressed milk at daycare. I work 4 days/week and only breastfeed on my days off and the weekends. I'm thinking about starting solids soon. He'll be 5 mos. next week. Not sure if I'm ready, but I think he is.

ELynn, one of our friends signed up for a half iron man as his first triathlon too and we can't wait to see his reaction when he "attempts" it. He's fit, but not that fit. DH hopes to finish his season with a full iron man this year. He has a nationals qualifying race that we're traveling for in a few weeks. It'll be our first road trip (longer than just a few hours) with the little man and I'm anxious and excited.

Dh did great. He was planning on a full one, but then dd come along...so that's on hold. Plus, he doesn't like swimming. Dh got into shape by doing them all. When he ran his first marathon, he did no training...just woke up, ran came home as I was waking up. I had no idea it was a big deal. lol.

You didn't ask, but if he's not ready, you'll know, he'll refuse the food or push it out. Dd wasn't ready the first few times. I thought she was ready, but in reality she puts everything in her mouth and wants what I have anyway. lol.

We do blw though, and it's great! I love she can feed herself and I can give her whatever, way less work.

Today I baked banana pieces. I did sticks yesterday but she still mashed them. So i did small bit size pieces of banana, rolled in oatmeal and cinnamon, then baked. She approved!

Any plans for Mother's Day?

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-11-12 05:05 AM

• Seaexplore Said:
E - Ally is crawling, pulling herself up and standing for 10-20 seconds on her own not holding on to stuff. She's going to be walking before July 4th I'm pretty sure! YIKES!

yikes is right!

I loved the two months she sat on a blanket and played..... now, if she's out of sight for 30 seconds....

Sarah, healthy baby works for me! Yea for summer (though just means more people/kids out and about so a hassle for me. lol)

• Seaexplore Said:
I've got 14 more days of work until I'm off till mid August. Looking forward to the summer with Ally but I know I'm NOT cut out to be a SAHM so I'm a little worried I'll be bored. I do know I'll be ready to go to work in Aug if I'm bored.

Tiff, will dh still be home?

Think park, pool, movies, summer reading program (ours has a 'read to me' one), walks, shopping...scraping, and other projects. The teachers I babysat for still used babysitters in the am for the kids. The dad would go off fishing, or lesson planning/writing/who knows what he was really doing, and the kids got 4 hours of fun with me.

and if dh is home, you can switch who gets to go off alone!

I will admit, the days get a bit repeative, BUT I love my life.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to ELynn

Elynn, when did you start giving your LO food? I'm interested in BLW, but I'm not sure how to know when to start.

I think it's awesome that your DH just jumped right into the marathons and tris! Most people can't do it even with training, they just don't have the mental edge to get through it.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to ELynn

How can you tell if molars are coming through??? Nate has 7.5 teeth (that dang 8th one is slow moving!) - and he's getting REALLY fussy. Drools so much I keep a bib on him constantly. Refusing to eat foods he used to eat. Doesn't take his bottles as consistently. Wakes up crying in the night after being SUCH a good sleeper. I read that they start coming in around 1 year? Nate is 11 months next Tuesday, and he's been early on his teeth so far.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

What's BLW? I don't go on baby forums, so I'm at a loss.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

Sarah, sounds like it could be the molars That's how my nephews were when they started cutting theirs.

BLW = Baby Lead Weaning. Elynn, chime in here ... but the way I understand it instead of spoon feeding your baby purees etc. when you're ready, you give them a sampling of what you're eating and let them determine when they're ready to try different things. At first they may just play with the food or mouth it, but the key is that they eat what you eat (just a smaller more bland version) and you skip purees all together. I haven't really read up on it though, so I could be totally off base. That is how a friend described it to me though.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

DH will be home with us all summer, unless he gets some jobs here and there. Summer reading program? That would require that my podunk town have a library. I have swimming, lake, walks, visits with my parents and sister and other family on our summer agenda.

Wish I could do a day away for me, my friends all want my to bring her along because they love her and she's such a great and fun kid.

Solids? We started Allyon purees when she started being interested in what we were eating. This was around 4 months. Gradually she's started eating off our plates. She's really great at feeding herself and we rarely have food on the floor after she's done.

And....... She's 9 months today!

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

Happy Mother's Day mommies!!!!!!

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-14-12 05:22 PM

• Coastie Wife Said:
Elynn, when did you start giving your LO food? I'm interested in BLW, but I'm not sure how to know when to start.

I think it's awesome that your DH just jumped right into the marathons and tris! Most people can't do it even with training, they just don't have the mental edge to get through it.

I started right before 6 months, she stole my apple. She won't let me feed her...she takes the spoon. Spoon feeding is ok, you just load the spoon and hand it to them. yes, lots of messes.

You start when he's ready, sitting up, 6 months and ready for food. knowing when a baby is REALLY ready is tricky, dd showed interest, put everything in her mouth, etc, but still pushed out food, wasn't ready. We tried later, and she was ready.

Dh isn't 100% on board and is worried she'll choke (she won't, she'll gag, but not choke.) Gagging is OK. Don't be worried or flip. lol.

Our pedi wanted us to wait till 6 months, and honestly, she wasn't ready before then (she'd push the food out).

Edited by ELynn on 05-14-12 05:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-14-12 05:24 PM

• Coastie Wife Said:
Sarah, sounds like it could be the molars That's how my nephews were when they started cutting theirs.

BLW = Baby Lead Weaning. Elynn, chime in here ... but the way I understand it instead of spoon feeding your baby purees etc. when you're ready, you give them a sampling of what you're eating and let them determine when they're ready to try different things. At first they may just play with the food or mouth it, but the key is that they eat what you eat (just a smaller more bland version) and you skip purees all together. I haven't really read up on it though, so I could be totally off base. That is how a friend described it to me though.

Yep. You can give a spoon, but it's preloaded. I put the food on the spoon and hand her the spoon. I use oatmeal to thicken purees.

It doesn't have to completely without spices, but no salt or sugar. I don't add pepper or hot sauce, but I don't cook her food differently. Now, I won't give her crap foods either, nothing with words I can't pronounce-mostly fruits, veggies, some meats. (Ok, ok, so she did get pizza crust...)

I give pieces she can eat or hold. So, a stick of celery with humus, or a banana bite (cause it's mushy). The bananas I coat in oatmeal and bake. Pieces worked better. Tonight she got a few noodles, pieces of chicken meatballs and sauce (on a spoon). Even without teeth, they can gum pretty good.

For example, when we go to Sam's, I let her have some of the samples, this week she had a cracker (boring), and some berries (YUMMY)... at story time she got a chip with homemade salsa, and pieces of mango. YUMMY. Right when she turned 6 months, she stole my apple...yep an apple, went to town on it. Same with a ripe pear. I give her my applesauce (it's just apples...no crap or sugar)

The idea is the baby is in control and will have better knowledge of when to stop eating and learn to eat a wider variety of foods. AND there's less risk of chocking. Purees teach babies to swallow, not chew. Breastfed babies chew the same way they get milk (or something like that.)

That's the idea. In my reality, it's just a hell of a lot easier!

For more information:
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.h...

There's a group on babycenter with a sticky that has great information as well.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-14-12 05:27 PM

Tiff, even my little town has one! But we go to the bigger library. She loves story time, but we don't go back till june for summer reading program. Some of the bookstores have them as well.

dd showed interest at 4 months, but I already knew I wanted to wait.

In the end, I doubt it really matters.

mickeys70
Pro
mickeys70
In response to Scrapbook Queen

• Scrapbook Queen Said:
Hi Ladies,

I've been outta the loop for a while, dh and I were lucky enough to go to Jamaica with some friends and then after being back for 1 1/2 weeks I went to England with my Mom and ds to visit friends and family!!!!

Finally back and semi organized again and hav eto start thinking about going back to work!!!! Meeting with my Principal next week to prepare for Aug!

Lachlan is almost 8 months and he also recentyl started rolling onto his tummy to sleep and has always pulled the blanket over his face. It was scary for me too and I was forever going in and taking it off his face but he just pulls it back so I quit doing it!!! It's kinda funny b/c I sleep with the blanket over my face also!

A suggestion for Bayleigh - have you thought of trying to teach her some simple signs? If most of her upset is frustration at not being understood that could help a lot!

Lachlan is loving finger foods and eating "real" food, mango and banana seem to be his faves!

He is soooo close to crawling, he can go backwards really well and creeps forward occasionally. Any day now!!!

No teeth though! All our little friends have anywhere from 2 to 6 already and we've got none. But the dental tech said the longer they are in the healthy they are so that's good I guess!

I'll try to keep up from now on!

Thanks for the idea! She has gotten some what better with the fits and the night issues. She will sleep all night if I let her sleep in the living room on the sofa. Something about her room freaked her out and this may not be the perfect solution but it works for now and I get a little sleep before I go to work at 230 am...lol Silly kid! Now she just wants to paint with her poo. I think we got that under control with body suits under her outfits. At least until she figures out how to take it off too. I have come to figure she will do every little 2 year old quirk known to man. LOL what do you do but brace for the next one

Glad to hear you were able to go on such wonderful vacations!

sounds like Lachlan takes after you with the blanket. Funny Bayleigh and Her Daddy sleep with the blanket over there heads too! I freaked out at first as well but then let it go since she seemed to sleep better.

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife
In response to ELynn

• ELynn Said:
  • Coastie Wife Said:

Yep. You can give a spoon, but it's preloaded. I put the food on the spoon and hand her the spoon. I use oatmeal to thicken purees.

It doesn't have to completely without spices, but no salt or sugar. I don't add pepper or hot sauce, but I don't cook her food differently. Now, I won't give her crap foods either, nothing with words I can't pronounce-mostly fruits, veggies, some meats. (Ok, ok, so she did get pizza crust...)

I give pieces she can eat or hold. So, a stick of celery with humus, or a banana bite (cause it's mushy). The bananas I coat in oatmeal and bake. Pieces worked better. Tonight she got a few noodles, pieces of chicken meatballs and sauce (on a spoon). Even without teeth, they can gum pretty good.

For example, when we go to Sam's, I let her have some of the samples, this week she had a cracker (boring), and some berries (YUMMY)... at story time she got a chip with homemade salsa, and pieces of mango. YUMMY. Right when she turned 6 months, she stole my apple...yep an apple, went to town on it. Same with a ripe pear. I give her my applesauce (it's just apples...no crap or sugar)

The idea is the baby is in control and will have better knowledge of when to stop eating and learn to eat a wider variety of foods. AND there's less risk of chocking. Purees teach babies to swallow, not chew. Breastfed babies chew the same way they get milk (or something like that.)

That's the idea. In my reality, it's just a hell of a lot easier!

For more information:
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.h...

There's a group on babycenter with a sticky that has great information as well.

Awesome info, Thanks!!!

If you don't mind me asking, did you start with one particular food and then wait a few days to introduce another one to look out for allergies etc. My friend just started BLW with her 5 mos. old and she is giving him a new food everyday and is skipping purees all together. He's been at it for a little over a week and has had a lot of different foods already. I wish I could be more laid back about all this new stuff like she is, but I worry soooo much about everything.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Ally eats whatever. I tried doing the new thing, wait 4 days. It just didn't work for us.

Last night she ate stuffed mushrooms at BJ's!

Coastie Wife
Pro
Coastie Wife

lol, I know I'll be feeding him the samples at BJ's.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Uh, kid just had a lizard in her hands. 7" alligator lizard w/o a tail. I'm pretty sure it was in her mouth at some point. Near as I can figure, one of the cats brought it in yesterday (they weren't out today) and it's been chillin' in the living room since. I tried googling what to do and nothing came up. I'm watchingk for Salmonella symptoms. Got her hands scrubbed. What more?

Welcome to summer vacation.

Page 68 of 69 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics