Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What kind of Die Cut machine should I get?        (Topic#1534579)
mamaolie
New Kid On the Block
mamaolie

I am sure this discussion has been had before, but inthe interest of time (i.e., I don't have enough to scroll through all the posts) I am looking for feedback.

I am looking for a die cut machine and with all of the products out there, I don't know what I need, or what to get. I am a scrapbooker and card maker and looking for something that can accomodate 12x12 if needed. I think I am looking basically for shapes, letters and something that I can emboss with.

What do you have? What are the pros/cons? What would you get if money wasn't an issue? and What would you get on a budget?

Thanks for the input...looking forward to reading your responses.

Tracy

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to mamaolie

I have the cricut E and the slice..

I LIKE both of them...that being said, I took both to a weekend crop.

For some reason, my Slice after a while, gets wonky, stops making good cuts..drags the blade across the image. Wonderful fonts and icons, made the cutest high heel shoe out of glitter paper..and monster for a card...but...

the cricut was a 'champ'...used by multiple people. toward the end of the weekend, cuts started getting less sharp..but we increased the pressure and it was fixed.

overall, during the weekend...there were many women talking about getting a cricut...0, wanting to get themselves a slice.

Brandilynn
Expert
Brandilynn
In response to mjmone

Cricut E.....12x12 you can cut images & fonts you can buy accessories to write and emboss with it. I also HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend getting SCAL to go along with it.

if price were no object cricut E cause intially purchase is a bit of $

if you are on a budget I STILL say Cricut E cause each cart even at full retail value is ALOT cheaper than going out and buy all the dies for the amount of images you get on ONE cart (not that anyone pays full retail value)

stephie056
Veteran
stephie056
In response to mjmone

I absolutely love my cricut expression!! You can cut 12x 12 and get another mat to cute 12x24. It cuts vinyl, paper, fabric. you can use it for glass etching and that just the beginning!!!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Brandilynn

I have an Expression (electric), Cuttlebug (manual) and I just rec'd the Creatopia (manual). The Creatopia can emboss (up to 12"), die cut (uses other maker's dies with the die cut attachment), cut with decorative edges..the list goes on. I like all three. If money was not an option, I would get an Expression because of the capabilities (can cut up to 23.5") and a cuttlebug for the embossing. If I was on a budget, I would get the Creatopia because of the many functions. The Superstore has a bundle (not available now) and the die cut attachment for a total of approx $250..
I guess it depends on what you want, but I use (will use, just got the Creatopia) on projects, cards and layouts.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to HisGEM

Oh, I forgot about the accessories for the Expression....you can find the black one at W for $249 and it comes with 2 carts too!!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to HisGEM

Another vote for the Cricut Expression.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to dotfree

I've been working on a survey people can take to figure out what machine best suits them cuz I get asked this all the time. My best advice is to try them out before you buy. If you don't have an LSS that carries them, go to an Expo or something like that. Because what I think is awesome you may think is awful, you know? And they all cost so much that you can't just buy to try. hth. Will work on my survey more and will let you all know when I get it done

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Jennifer Priest

I have the following tools, all because they work awesome and the longer term costs are very low:

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-11-10 01:51 PM

Honestly, with a purchase like this, unless you have buckets of disposable money and it doesn't matter to you, you really need to do the research, and there are many great threads on here with a lot of good information.

I'm not a Cricut lover, just the thought of cartridges makes me feel boxed in and uncreative. I have a Gazelle (which actually costs very little more than a Cricut E and SCAL combined) and I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. But it fits how I work, it may or may not fit how you work.

dnurse
dnurse 
Queen
dnurse
In response to stick

Another vote for the cricut expression!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM

• Jennifer Priest Said:
I've been working on a survey people can take to figure out what machine best suits them cuz I get asked this all the time. My best advice is to try them out before you buy. If you don't have an LSS that carries them, go to an Expo or something like that. Because what I think is awesome you may think is awful, you know? And they all cost so much that you can't just buy to try. hth. Will work on my survey more and will let you all know when I get it done

Actually on J's website there is a section that has various questions in regards to what type of material you want to cut, if you want a manual or electric die cutter and the price point. It also allows you to do a comparison between the different machines.

New Kid On the Block
In response to mamaolie

I used to own a Wishblade personal cutter and sold it to pay for a Pazzles Inspiration. I think the learning curve for the Wishblade was too steep, instructions were very poorly written, and customer service didn't have a lot of the answers. The Pazzles Inspiration machine is computer based whereas Cricut is cartridge based. The big difference between the two is Pazzles was created for people who like to make their own designs. It does come with a few shape files already loaded, but not many. You can use their software that is included or use Adobe Illustrator to make the designs, then import them into Pazzles to cut it. BTW, Pazzles cuts fabric and chipboard also. On the other hand, the Cricut is cartridge based, and you can use their software (only sold separately) to design things, but you can only design using the shapes on their cartridges. So if you don't own a certain cartridge you can't cut that part of the design! The cartridges can be both cheap and pricey costing anywhere fron $19.99 to $89.99. Now in spite of what I just told you, I bought a Cricut after owning the Pazzles for 1 1/2 years. I like the Pazzles, but felt that I don't ALWAYS want to make my own designs, I like the fact that I can quickly pick a premade design from a cartrige I own. I found that Pazzles was frustrating sometimes, becasue the auto-trace feature leaves a lot to be desired. Now that I have both cutters AND a Cricut Gypsy, I'm happy with both. I can design things on my Gypsy that I can't do with just the Cricut, and I LOVE it! I hope this gives you some insight into the personal cutter world and maybe amswers your question

iuplori
Guru
iuplori
In response to Luxurycardstore.com

I would go with the cricut E and SCAL software too. That way you can buy into the best of both worlds if you want...great premade designs on the cartidges, and more freedom with SCAL

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to Luxurycardstore.com

I too have the Pazzles Inspiration and it definitely has a learning curve. But for me, it was worth it. The thought of all those Cricut cartridges gave me hives, and I wasn't interested in waiting to purchase SCAL so I didn't void my warranty since these things are all man-made and you never know when something can go wrong. The one thing I love about my Pazzles is that I can see exactly where the machine is going to cut so I can make adjustments as needed. I like that it cuts 12x12 up to 12x24. I like that I can get image cd's for $25 or less without waiting for a sale. I like that I can create my own thing when I feel like it. Then there are the other features available with the purchase of certain accessories - embossing up to 12x12, engraving on acrylic, drawing...
If you can, I think you should definitely play with as many as possible before you make a decision. Some machines have a larger upfront cost, but turn out to cost less to operate long term. Some are less expensive but end up costing more over time in accessories. Only you know what will work best for your budget and your crafting style.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 05-14-10 11:55 AM
In response to traceyjean

I too vote for the Cricut Expression. It is cartridge based, but I love that I don't have to drag out my laptop every time I want to make a cut. I also have Design Studio so I can use my computer if I want to. There are just SO many images on the cartridges. There are many, many more than what is shown on the back of the box. Also, you can buy the cartridges on eBay for next to nothing a lot of times. The last one I bought was $18, including shipping.

Suzastampin
Tenant
Suzastampin
In response to LeeLo

Another vote for the Cricut Expression. I also have one of the original Wishblades, but never use it. I did the Sizzix route before that. Love the Cricut! Add the Make the Cut software and/or the Sure Cuts a Lot software and you've got the best of both worlds. Love the ease of popping in a cartridge for quick cuts and then being able to use True Type fonts and dingbats with the software and it's the best!

Suz

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Suzastampin

Cricut Expression is the best buy I have ever made. The Cartridges have so many shapes and fonts on them. Watch for sales and the carts don't cost that much. I just got my Sizzix embossing machine and that is awesome. Reasonable price too. You can use all sorts of different brand folders in it.

Edited by debby_westbrook on 05-18-10 03:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cpowife
Mayor
cpowife
In response to debby_westbrook

Another vote for the cricut e! I love mine and use it every day.

ILOVEPAPILLONS
Mayor
ILOVEPAPILLONS
In response to cpowife

I love my Cricut Expression!!!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics