Username Post: Ogranizing Paper?        (Topic#1534781)
D85R
D85R 
Tenant
D85R
  • D85R on 05-14-10 09:20 AM

Hello everyone, I am in the process of organizing my scrapbooking supplies,( I just got married, moved my stuff into my DH parents house and now my DH and I are moving to Texas in July and i am trying to get myself organized before the move) and i realized that i have a lot of different kinds of papers and no real organization to them so when i want to look for a specific paper i can never find it. do you have any suggestions for how i can better organize my scrapbooking papers?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to D85R

Wow, that's an age old question. LOL. I don't think any one way works for everyone. I used to have mine stored by theme. Then I got into papers that don't always have a theme, like Webster's Pages and Basic Grey. Right now, I have mine stored by manufacturer, with the exception of individual bins for: cat theme, Christmas, and Iraq/firefighting. I admit that it is not the most efficient system, because I will forget about certain papers. I just don't know how else to do it!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to D85R

Check out these threads:

Paper storage ideas

Organizing Scrap Stuff Ideas

Some other helpful threads:
Storage Ideas

Storage Solutions

Scrap Work Tables

More creative ideas on Scrap Work Tables

lots2scrap
Guru
lots2scrap
In response to D85R

I make mostly cards so for solid cardstock and PP of one color I organize by color, using the R-P-Y-O-G-B-P-B-W-B-T system (red, pink, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, black, white, brown, tan). For PP that is not in any one color I organize in categories like: stripes, polka dots, plaids, swirls, floral, etc. Specialy papers like designer packs, vellum, etc. I store separtely. I don't have as large a collection as some here, but I do try and keep all papers in one cabinet. 12 x 12 stackable paper trays work best for me.

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to D85R

I recently started using Cropper Hopper holders in my Jet Max cubes. I like that I can hold more in the vertical storage and, since they're inside a cube, I don't worry too much about dust collection. The paper holders are for cardstock, dividers help me sort by colour, and the paper pouches are for complete lines including any matching stickers and rubons. It's been working so far. In fact, I'm headed to ACM this week to get some more JetMax cubes while they're on sale here.

There are lots of organisation options out there. It takes time to find the one that works best for the way you scrap. And, unfortunately, you'll get some duds along the way until you find your perfect method. Just remember not to let it frustrate you. Look at the scraproom gallery and try to envision how you would use what you see in your space. Good luck!

EverSoClever
Expert
EverSoClever
In response to traceyjean

I love my cropper hopper paper holders. I have all my cardstock in rainbow color order. In other holders, I have my pp organized by maker with either dividers or in the items tracyjean posted. I also use those folders for mini projects such as: I have a small album, specific supplies/photos I want to use so they are together in one place (just waiting for the right time to start the project). I have a bunch of those project packages/page kits folders as well.

I think most of find the perfect supplies for special photos before finding the time to actually work on them! Having the kits premade helps save time for me.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to EverSoClever

My cs is in vertical Cropper Hoppers, sorted by color and size (12x12 and 8.5x11). The pp I sort by manufacturer/stacks. I often keep matching embellishments with each line, so I use Iris carts and boxes. Scenic Route and MME share a box, CC has its own box, K&Co has a couple boxes, etc., on down to a box for lone sheets of paper. Christmas and Halloween have their own boxes. So far this is working for me, but I've been eyeing these paper racks.

Lisa

Dictionary
Expert
Dictionary
In response to lstory

I think everyone has their own way and is best suited to their needs. You probably will need to figure out what works for you. So with that said I never really found a great way to store my pp. Cardstock is easy enough by color. So far for my pp I have done by theme whenever possible and then the rest kind of gets combined. I have open cabinets with adjustable shelving and that works great for me. I did find that the scrap cs gets put into maniala folders (by color of course) and then that goes on one shelf. The pp scraps get intermixed on thier own shelf. I only consider it a scrap if it's smaller than 6x12 but larger than 5x7. Smaller they get tossed, bigger then get stored with the pp.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to Dictionary

Yes, it is an age old question! LOL

I organize everything by color, no matter if it has a theme or not. I redid my entire room like that and that is how I scrap now.

If you don't have a TON of paper, how about organizing it into page kits by theme? I would get some 13x13 zip top bags and put your paper for each theme in there and label it.

Scrapbook Room Update March 2010 By Jennifer Priest

As far as storage I use wooden cubes and store the paper vertically so I can thumb through it. You can see it in my gallery:
http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=gallerie...

Mayor
  • 888 on 05-19-10 10:32 AM
In response to Jennifer Priest

Here is a picture of my scrapbook room. I have a tower paper rack. I found it on Craigslist for 25 bucks!!!
My Scrapbook Room By Nikilynn

lstory 
Mayor
In response to 888

I've gotta start stalking Craigslist.

Lisa

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to lstory

I just use some of the hard 13x13" Iris containers to store my papers.

1. Cardstock, arranged by color (it's a rainbow!). All I have to do is flip through to find what I want.

2. Paper stacks (DCWV stacks, Basic Grey stacks, etc.)

3. Loose pattern paper and other collections -- this one has a 12x12x1" holder that holds all of my single sheets, and along with that I put in collections that are wrapped in plastic, like Cosmo Cricket collections.

Oh, and the reason I store like this is that so I have a limit on how much I can actually have of an item. If the box is full, no more gets bought (unless it's for a specific project I am working on).

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics