Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What to buy?        (Topic#1534829)
OkiFiend
Tenant
OkiFiend

I'm new to scrapbooking. I have purchased so many things already but I feel like I might be spending money on things I may never use. What are some of the things that you find yourself using all the time and just can't live without?

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to OkiFiend

The things I use the most are, My Cricut Expression, The different scissors for fancy edges, Clear and wood Stamps, Punches and I will have my Sizzix embossing machine on Monday. I know I will use that a lot. I also have the Fiskars shape cutter and lot's of the templates and I love and use that frequently. I love variety.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to debby_westbrook

I go through phases. I once used eyelets on most of my lo's, so I bought tons. I still have tons left. Same with stickers, brads (although I still pull those out a decent amount), buttons (which I'm getting back into quite a bit and am glad I have), and fibers (I'm into ribbon more now). I think when it comes to embellishments, I'd be careful buying those in large quantities, because trends change and your style will change. Then if you run out and realize you love them, you can always buy more later and know you're not throwing money away.

One of the HUGE tips that seasoned scrappers always have for new people is not to buy so much right away. Many of us have oodles of stuff that we thought were cute, but that we never really used. Oh, and if it's a trend and you don't like it, don't buy it! There's lots of cool trendy things out there right now that I don't care for, so I don't bother with them, even if they're on sale.

There are some GREAT tools and adhesives that I love that I use all the time. I linked those below.

You'll also need paper/cardstock, but that's another thing that's easy to overbuy. Some people don't end up using much cardstock. I, on the other hand, have tons of "pretty" paper that I bought 8 years ago that's just sitting around.

Good luck!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-15-10 07:17 AM
In response to scraprabbit

You really don't need much at all to get started. It's very very easy to over-buy. Be careful, esp buying patterned paper and embellishments, because your style will evolve and change and you may end up never using all that early stuff.

Good basics are:
black cardstock and white cardstock
A few sheets of coordinating patterned paper or a paperpack
A good pair of sharp scissors (I like Cutter Bees)
A paper trimmer (I like Cutterpede)
Adhesive (I like Tombow)
And a few embellishments of your choice, ie buttons, flowers, brads, ribbon, etc

You could consider going with a new line of products by one of the popular manufacturers like Basic Grey and buying coordinating embellishments. An example is the Kioshi line by Basic Grey. It's sweet and springy.

Beware of buying stickers. Most seasoned scrappers don't use them much. A cute sticker does not equal a usable sticker.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to IzzyB

Izzy is so right... I mentioned the equipment I use, However I have way over bought on stickers, silk flowers and Paper. Sure I love looking at it all, But don't really see using all of it.

ELynn
ELynn 
Angel
ELynn
  • ELynn on 05-15-10 08:31 AM
In response to debby_westbrook

personally, i'd start with a page kit, one that has the paper, and buttons, and stuff all there for you.

then as you figure out what you like, you can branch out.

or just buy for one lo (or a few at a time).

take the pictures to m's or j's or using the color tool here, but the paper and embellies.

you will *need*:
adhesive
Scissors (I love my Crayola ones)
Trimmer (I have two)

other than than the 3 above i'd buy as you go. and if it's pushing it, you could do without the trimmer, if you want to use scissors to cut....

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to ELynn

I agree with everything that has been said. You should feel free to try out tons of different options but do not buy more than one of anything unless you find that you actually like and use it. I would start with a patterened paper collection pack that you like (BG has tons of good ones) and then buy embellishments to match (buttons, stickers, alphas, ribbon, flowers, rhinestones, stickles) and use the self-made kit to create a whole bunch of layouts. When you are done, step back and think about what you really enjoyed using, what was hard for you to use, etc. and then do the same thing over again. I wouldn't stock up on anything at this point, just buy what you need as you go along.

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to kariyava

I would also suggest looking at your pictures and trying to think of what you would want to do with some of them before you buy any more. I find that I bought things that I liked and thought I would use and the pictures I have don't really go with some of the papers and colors I have. For example, I have a lot of old pictures that I want to scrapbook in old heritage styles, and most of my paper and embellishment purchases were brighter colors and primary colors. They don't go with vintage and heritage very well.

Bookworm401
Guru
Bookworm401
In response to TFCasper

In addition to what everyone else said about over buying and then never using, it is so true. Especially if you find something really cheap...if you never end up using it, then it really wasn't worth the buy! I am super guilty of this and have a lot of paper that I don't use.

kikiV
kikiV 
Veteran
kikiV
  • kikiV on 05-16-10 08:15 PM
In response to Bookworm401

I just started scrapbooking about a year ago. I spent the first 4 or 5 months SHOPPING. I have so much ******** I have no idea if I'll ever use it. I have put myself on restriction and only buy if it will work on the project I am currently working on.

My list would be:

A paper trimmer
plain cardstock
Tape runner (I use the walmart ones)
only embellishments, sticker etc for the project you are curently workin on.

HOpe that helps.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to kikiV

don't forget a good journaling pen--

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to terrihooper

My basics kit could inlcudethe basic tools below.

Then I'd add a stack of patterned paper (nice for starting off because it all matches and you have lots of patterns to choose from), a package of cardstock (I started with DCWV brights and neutrals) and a few punches (circles come in particulalry handy and border punches are incredibly versatile). Then I'd buy embellishment (stickers, flowers, etc) based on whatever project you're working on and just keep saving the extras until you have a stash. A variety of Thickers or cheaper chipboard alphabets (I've seen some nice ones at the dollar store) are great to have on hand too.

kelsey kay 2012
Veteran
kelsey kay 2012
In response to mercytiara

mostly stamps. lots of paper too. you can NEVER have too much paper

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to kelsey kay 2012

• kniese2012 Said:
mostly stamps. lots of paper too. you can NEVER have too much paper

I swear I live by that motto too. Except now I have so much I can't find it when I need it!

lstory 
Mayor
In response to scraprabbit

Beware of the paper fairy - she pushes and pushes and eventually you'll find yourself overwhelmed by paper and donating entire stacks to your son's preschool class. Or maybe it's just me.

But seriously, paper stacks aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. I bought a 40-page stack last year. I've done 19 layouts with that stuff, more than from any other single paper line, and I still have 20 whole sheets plus numerous scraps left over. I still like it, but using this means I'm not using something newer and more exciting. I've taken to buying by the sheet now. Yes, I'm still buying paper because I'm an addict, but that's another story.

Lisa

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 05-17-10 02:48 PM
In response to OkiFiend

I would wait until scrapbook shops have sales and then buy one of a different product each time. If you don't like it you got it on sale so no worries. I you like it you can go back and get more after all they are on sale.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 05-17-10 02:51 PM
In response to Obi

And I do like the zig writers they are cost effective and last.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Obi

only thing not mentioned that I find I use quite a bit is a Signo white pen

Products Referenced in This Post:

OkiFiend
Tenant
OkiFiend
In response to OkiFiend

Unfortunately, I may have already splurged on paper. I bought 6 stacks already and have a couple more in the mail I see it and I HAVE to get it!!! It's so pretty. I bought a couple adhesives, paper dots, a couple sets of acrylic stamps, a set of inks, some borders sets, rub-ons, fabrics, flowers (ALOT), photo corners, embossing powder, embossing tool and folding tool. Luckily I have tons of ribbon already from other projects I did...diaper cakes and kids stuff. Some of the things I bought already is below but that's not even half of it. The thing is I feel like I can't start until I have more... I really want to buy a die-cut/embossing machine. But I've researched them all and can't decide. And the ranger inks sets and embossing powders I have to have them. And everything Tim Holtz!! I also live on Okinawa and as far as I know there's no craft stores so I buy from the base exchanges and they're limited. Mostly Martha Stewart. I'm afraid I will never start the book I want to do and just keep buying.
Products Referenced in This Post:

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to OkiFiend

Yep, I'd say you're set! Now start scrapping so you can tell me how you like that flocked paper set. That's on my wishlist but I haven't bought it.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics