Username Post: Perfect Pearls Question        (Topic#1535184)
ScrappingKitty
Veteran
ScrappingKitty

I was thinking about buying a set of perfect pearls today. I've watched four or five videos on various techniques. I think it looks super cool and I really can't wait to try it out. But here's my question...

Do I need to spray it with water to "set it" so the perfect pearls do not come off when I apply it dry? I didn't think it needed that b/c it advertises as having a built in resin to afix its self. In the videos by Ranger Ink, the demonstrator does NOT spray it with water. In videos by a different website, the demonstrator DOES spray some water in the air and then waves the paper through it.

What do you all do when you use perfect pearls? TIA

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to ScrappingKitty

From what I have heard perfect pearls have a binding agent in them so you probably don't need to spray them with water. There is a similar product (can't remember the name) that doesn't.

BTW you can make your own glimmer mist by adding a small amount (scoop some with a popsicle stick) into a mini mister filled half way with water and alcohol (this makes it less likely to warp). I did this and added some reinker for some color it turned out nice. The paper curled but did not warp and I was able to flatten it back out.

ScrappingKitty
Veteran
ScrappingKitty
In response to CorrieW

Yeah, I saw the homemade glimmer mist demo on Tim Holtz's website. Looks like fun!! Good tip about the alcohol additive into the mist. I'll have to try that out.

ScrapperDMcG
Resident
ScrapperDMcG

I have perfect pearls and although I don't have the package they came in I remember reading that you do have to spray to set them. But it's just misting and doesn't make the paper curl or anything.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ScrapperDMcG

I usually spray mine- just a mist in the air and pass thru with the paper. Or mist over the top and just let it dry. Mine don't warp the paper.

nicy 
Tenant
  • nicy on 05-22-10 01:23 PM

The instructions say you have to do what you described (spray and hold object under) to set the perfect pearls to ensure it does not rub off.

But, I am really excited---I just left my local Art Supply store. They told me that Pearl-ex was going away and all large bottles were $2.50--that is half off---and I had just left Michaels--they are selling about 10 colors in these tiny little jars for $25. The ones I purchased are about 3 times larger. Anyway, Pearl-ex is a shimmery pigment powder just like perfect pearls. So, try your art store!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to nicy

I spray mine. Usually with Glimmer Mist.

Especially on Grungeboard. On paper, sometimes I will leave it...

nicy 
Tenant
  • nicy on 05-22-10 02:16 PM

One more thing about the fabric paint--If I get a PEAK, I shake the paper side to side to get a mound without a peak. Try that!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to nicy

pearl ex is NOT the same as perfect pearls! You have to mix the pearl ex with some sort of binder.

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to Seaexplore

Pearl-Ex needs to be mixed with gum arabic to make it bind. Perfect pearls already has the binder mixed into it.

rtay
rtay 
Mayor
rtay
  • rtay on 05-24-10 08:05 AM
In response to moonpuff

If your using Pearl Ex..which I do rather than the perfect pearls and do not have or do not want to by the Gum Arabic..you can use Honey as a binding agent.

ScrappingKitty
Veteran
ScrappingKitty
In response to rtay

Thanks for all the tips ladies! I ended up not buying the Perfect Pearls this past weekend. I wanted the pastel set, but they didn't have it in stock. Maybe next time! Thanks again for all of the tips!!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

I bought all the sets. Started with one and then had to get all the rest. LOVE them on dark paper! I've painted with them on lighter paper. GORGEOUS! I just have to find time to sit down and play.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics