Username Post: Card Makers, c'mere, please :)        (Topic#1535413)
RebeccaMarie
Expert
RebeccaMarie

I have a question. I am starting to get into making cards along with my scrapbooking.

I am wondering where you get your blank cards. Do you make those too out of folded paper? Do you order a bundle of blank cards?
What would be the easiest?

Thanks!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to RebeccaMarie

A lot of my friends make their own, but I buy prefolded ones from Michael's, Joann's, or AC Moore when they have sales. They come with envelopes, too. You can get a box of 50 white ones in A2 size. DCWV has a box of bright colored ones. Joann's sells sets in different colors, too. DCWV also carries packs of ten in different sizes, like 5x5 or long cards.

I avoid the ones with patterns, but only because I think they'd be hard to match up with papers if I ever wanted to do that.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to siameseplease

You might try the "stamping and cardmaking" forum here.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to siameseplease

I find it easier to buy a bulk load and just use them up. I bought 100 card blanks for almost nothing on Ebay

beccaboo3
Veteran
beccaboo3
In response to SuperAllyFan

i make my own cards using a scor-it tool to fold it!
Products Referenced in This Post:

CraftyCandace
Diva
CraftyCandace
In response to beccaboo3

I just cut an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock in half. I never buy the pre-folded ones.

Cathylt63
Tenant
Cathylt63
In response to CraftyCandace

I also buy the 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and cut them in half to get two cards out of one sheet than use my martha stewart score board to score them. I buy the 50 packs when they are on sale or I use a coupon. I buy the white color paper and than I cut patterned paper to add for color.

Dictionary
Expert
Dictionary
In response to Cathylt63

Gosh make your own, it's way more cheaper. 1 12x12 will make 2 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 square cards or as the above scrapper says the 2 8-1/2 x 11 will make 2 4x6. Then of course there's all the other inbetween sizes you can make. Just need a good bone folder to score the fold and make in nice and crisp. I typically use a lot of white and black for the bases of my cards.

disneylisa
Mayor
disneylisa
In response to Dictionary

All depends. When I see a good deal on cards/envelopes I buy that. For instance after holiday sales when you can often pick up cards with envelopes for 75% off or more. Many times the insides are blank and I cover the front with other cardstock or patterned paper anyway so I don't really care what's on it. Sometimes I don't care what's inside either as I occasionally cover that as well.

Other times I make my own if I have a particular color I want and have cardstock that works.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Dictionary

• Dictionary Said:
Gosh make your own, it's way more cheaper.

Not necessarily! I pick up packages of 50 card blanks WITH envelopes for around $4 when they're on sale. That's only about 8 cents for a card and envelope ( or 4 cents for the card, 4 cents for the envie).

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Here Kitty

I use store-bought if I want a white or cream base and make my own if I want a different color (which is usually the case).

Lisa

Catherine Pooler
Resident
Catherine Pooler
In response to lstory

Hi There! Welcome to card making! I started because I was a scrapbooker, too!
If it helps, I have a video on my website on just about the simplest card you can make. GREAT place to start and it shows you how to cut your cardstock.

http://www.catherinepooler.com/2009/10/my-first-vide o-s...

I also use Stampin' Up white envelopes. They are a great quality and I like to stamp on them to match my card.
Hope that helps!

Catherine

htt://www.catherinepooler.com

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to Catherine Pooler

Most office supply stores sell boxes of cards, cardstock and envelopes. Sometimes sales on those or markdowns when they get rid of certain colors can be very cooperative with a budget!
I usually make my own cards, and sometimes envelopes too with colored paper. I find it fun to do when I am stressed and 'need' to do something!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to RebeccaMarie

You can get blank cards with matching envelopes at the craft store. They come in white or cream, 50 to a pack for $10 but use a discount coupon.

You can create a card front, add some layers to it then just glue it down on the front of the card, add your inside quote/phrase/verse for fast card making.

There are also smaller boxes of colorful/pattern paper cards and colorful envelopes with patterns which you can also add a card front with layers to. These are sized like a half sheet of card stock ( 8 1/2 by 11 inches cut into two pieces) folded in half.

joyfulstamper
New Kid On the Block
joyfulstamper
In response to PokeyMom

I always make my own from cardstock. That way I can make it any size and/or shape, and get the exact color I want or need for my layers. And, yes, it is way less expensive to make your own, and really easy.

betsgratiot
Veteran
betsgratiot
In response to joyfulstamper

Here's my cheapo idea! M's often has packs of cards and envelopes in their $1 bins. I buy bunches of them (just make sure there is nothing printed on the back of the cards) and I cover the front like I always do. I can usually get 10 cards and envies for $1! Can't get much cheaper than that.

scrappy grandma
Angel
scrappy grandma
In response to betsgratiot

hello and thank you for sharing that, didn't know they had them in dollor bins, never saw them at ours.
joan. scrappy grandma

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics