Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Neverending quest for the perfect scraproom        (Topic#1535509)
cindy312
Diva
cindy312

I'm finding that it's increasingly difficult to scrap due to piles that are building up in my scraproom. I've been scouring through the gallery looking at pictures of scraprooms hoping to find inspiration.

I have some random questions:

1) Does your scraproom work for you? What makes it work (or not)?

2) Hypothetically speaking, should a scrapper add more storage space (i.e. shelving, bookcase, etc) to a room, or does that just invite more clutter to enter the room? Better to purge continuously, or to increase storage until it's no longer possible?

3) What can I do to tame the gift wrap, gift bags, ribbons and bows that takes up more than its share of the scraproom?

4) Do you store completed albums in the scraproom or somewhere else?

I appreciate everyone's input!

Thanks,
Cindy

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to cindy312

*waits for the answers to the same questions.

I can't go in the gallery anymore - its too distracting! besides the drool is ruining my computer

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-27-10 05:47 PM
In response to Ohio4HMom

Stuff does not beget clutter. Clutter is what happens when you're not organized and not tidy - you could have the most amazing and extensive storage system in the world, but if you don't use it and use it right you will have clutter.

1) So far as my scraproom exists (I do it in the living room), yes, it works. What makes it work, and what I would do even if I had a dedicated scrap room, is closed door cabinets (to control the dust!) and good organization: cabinets, shelving, drawers, boxes, etc. appropriate to the task at hand, and religious use of this organization. A place for everything and everything in its place.

2) More space and better storage is always good. But it can invite more stuff. Not clutter, just more stuff. At a certain point, of course, you hit your physical limitations - I hit this point today when my ARC Craft sale paper order arrived ... there is no room in my cabinet for this paper! The choices are to reorganize, purge, or just let it become clutter. I will reorganize because the alternatives are painful

3) Get a Rubbermaid or Container Store gift-wrap storage thingy or two. Never buy more unless you actually need it today to wrap something. And unless you use it at least once a month, stick it in a closet or the basement.

4) Completed albums are a living room/family room thing, imo, so people (or at least you, at leisure) can look at them and enjoy them.

And finally, shop your stash before you go shopping at a store, you may find that you don't really need whatever it was you were thinking of buying.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to cindy312

When my son got married, I had the chance to move from my VERY little scrap room to a bigger one. I decided to stay put because I knew that the more room I had, the more things I would buy. I have floor to ceiling shelves and the are ALL almost full. Everytime I drool over someone's BIG BEAUTIFUL scraproom-- I tell my self there are people dying all over the world and I should be content with what I have.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to stick

• kuzatab Said:
Stuff does not beget clutter. Clutter is what happens when you're not organized and not tidy - you could have the most amazing and extensive storage system in the world, but if you don't use it and use it right you will have clutter.

1) So far as my scraproom exists (I do it in the living room), yes, it works. What makes it work, and what I would do even if I had a dedicated scrap room, is closed door cabinets (to control the dust!) and good organization: cabinets, shelving, drawers, boxes, etc. appropriate to the task at hand, and religious use of this organization. A place for everything and everything in its place.

2) More space and better storage is always good. But it can invite more stuff. Not clutter, just more stuff. At a certain point, of course, you hit your physical limitations - I hit this point today when my ARC Craft sale paper order arrived ... there is no room in my cabinet for this paper! The choices are to reorganize, purge, or just let it become clutter. I will reorganize because the alternatives are painful

3) Get a Rubbermaid or Container Store gift-wrap storage thingy or two. Never buy more unless you actually need it today to wrap something. And unless you use it at least once a month, stick it in a closet or the basement.

4) Completed albums are a living room/family room thing, imo, so people (or at least you, at leisure) can look at them and enjoy them.

And finally, shop your stash before you go shopping at a store, you may find that you don't really need whatever it was you were thinking of buying.

I agree with all of these. I have a scrap room made off cabinets, they are filled with organized containers, etc. I couldn't imagine having wrapping paper in my area so I have two wrap storage things. One for christmas wrap and the other for everything else.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest
In response to CorrieW

It kind of works. I would love a bigger table in the center of the room BUT a bigger table means a bigger mess so I don't know. I think if you have enough room to work and not make too big a mess, then that is good.

All my stuff is organized by color but there is alot of everything. It makes moving stuff and cleaning up a real pain. And I am crazy organized and really anal about stuff being clean. Sometimes I wish I had less stuff! LOL

2) Hypothetically speaking, should a scrapper add more storage space (i.e. shelving, bookcase, etc) to a room, or does that just invite more clutter to enter the room? Better to purge continuously, or to increase storage until it's no longer possible?

Less storage is better. Use it or lose it. I have a ton of storage and I get rid of stuff all the time. I could have saved alot of money on product I'll never use and storage fixtures to keep it in. And think of all the extra space I would have without the ridiculous amount of paper I have purchased. Since I can't start over, I am really trying to work through all the stash and some day get rid of some of the storage.

3) What can I do to tame the gift wrap, gift bags, ribbons and bows that takes up more than its share of the scraproom?

Move it to another room. Everything non-scrappy is out of my room.

Nope, they are on a bookcase in my formal living room. I try to only keep stuff in my scrap room that I use in the scrap room.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
I'm finding that it's increasingly difficult to scrap due to piles that are building up in my scraproom. I've been scouring through the gallery looking at pictures of scraprooms hoping to find inspiration.

Beware of piles! As a former pile-stacker, I can tell you that they will just equal frustration.

Take it all out of your space if you to. Then try again. Only take in whatever you absolutely need & or have to have!

Yes. a) Live by the motto Less Is More! b) Assign everything a home!

I've tried both & as mentioned above...Less Is (truly) More!

Try setting up a 'gift-wrapping station'. Store rolls of paper in a med/tall circular basket. Store the ribbons, bows, scissors, tape, etc. in a pretty basket. Only buy what you need, consider donating any extra.

Yes, I do...all my albums are stored in my scraproom.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to KellyCali

I have one of those hanging suitcases aka travel bag which I put the wrapping pp in, and the pockets on the back hold the gift boxes and the pockets on the front store any ribbon, tape, etc.

I have them in the entertainment center in the living room. That way when someone comes over and wants to see something then I don't have to open the door to my room to get them

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to cindy312

Unless I'm using my table and floor space for other projects (like purging other parts of the house), it works well. I have all the small frequently used tools on two 6 ft tables. The rest of my tools are on the opposite wall, in jetmax cubes. My personal stash is kept in pastic lock and load food storage boxes on a book shelf. My computer is located at my desk and I have a microwave stand next to it with my scanner, printer and silhouette.

What makes it work is that I have the tools I use most at my reach, all my dies and larger tools (and consumable stash like stickles, flock powder and stickers) are out of the way but visible so I still use them. (If I can't see them, I don't tend to use them) Since I run crops out of my house, I can't always leave my work in progress out, so I have a special shelf set up to store the album I'm working on, the half completed layouts and my all important power layout box. (a magic box that helps me keep the paper and flat memorabilia/embellishment s and photos organized for 45 layouts.)

I have a rubbermaid wrapping paper holder thing that I just throw all of that into. It stands in the alcove right outside of my scraproom

The completed albums are in a closet on shelves in the alcove just outside of my scraproom. this is also where I store patterned paper, excess chipboard and page refills and other things that I need, but don't use daily.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 05-28-10 03:36 AM
In response to moxiegirl23

In general, when it comes to scrapping, I would say less is more. It's so easy, so easy, to overbuy. Then you have to buy or build storage to hold all the extra stuff you bought. I do think that the more space you have, the more you will buy. In truth, you don't actually need that much.

Most scrappers definitely don't need pounds and pounds of pp and cs because you can easily buy more any time. PP and CS is readily accessible and always changing. Of couse, this advice comes from someone who just bought another BG paper pack yesterday....So, easier said then done.

• Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, should a scrapper add more storage space (i.e. shelving, bookcase, etc) to a room, or does that just invite more clutter to enter the room?

I don't know if it invites more clutter, but it definitely invites more stuff. Do you need more stuff? Generally, less is more, and if you can control yourself, use your small space more efficiently and purge what you don't use/don't like. I know if I had a bigger space that I'd just have more stuff and I really don't need more stuff.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to IzzyB

All great answers -- as a habitual reorganizer -- I can't help you. I'm am constantly rethinking what works. Paper is my biggest problem -- I can't figure out how to organize my pp and know what I have. I've tried all the options that have been thrown out there.

I keep my scrapbooks in the living room -- where I can peruse them when it pleases me. I keep a 12x12 plastic storage box in my scraproom that I put my pages in and then once a month I move them to the books -- I enjoy adding them in that fashion.

Will keep an eye on this thread for more wonderful ideas

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to cindy312

1. My scraproom does work for me now that I have more organization and storage. I have to have everything in its place and I have to keep it neat and tidy. I do still purge my supplies and those go into a seperate box for give aways.

2. I would always be adding more storage to keep things neat and tidy. I cannot scrap or do anything in a mess. I like to have stuff and I'm not going to keep my supplies to a minimum just b/c I don't want to buy new storage.

3. I have my gift wrap and bows in a different room...actually, it's in totes in my closet of my bedroom. I have enough stuff in my scraproom/office that I don't need that stuff cluttering it up.

4. My completed albums are stored in my living room, that way, if anyone is inclined, they can get them out and look at them. My scrap stuff is off limits, so they wouldn't feel like they could come in here and get into my stuff.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 05-28-10 05:25 AM
In response to cindy312

Mine works for me at this point. I'm still micro organizing some aspects of it but I have everything within easy reach of my table right now which I love. I organize primarily by color with a few things organized by theme. My tools are all handy and I can see them. Seeing everything is what helps me to make sure and use it. I have one small basket of misc stuff that can't be categorized by color or theme that I'm still working on but I always go through that basket first.

I don't think the actual space makes a difference as long as it is organized so you can find what you need when you need it. I have all my basic stuff organized by color. When I'm working on a layout and need something to "fill in" a spot....I look at the primary color I'm using and go to that box/organizer to find flowers/brads/eyelets/but tons/clips whatever first. Then I go to themes if needed.

I have one of those tall rubbermaid containers for wrapping paper etc. I keep it full and in the closet in the scraproom. I don't use a lot of it so that works for me. I don't overstock on any of those supplies so not an issue at my house.

at present mine are all in the scraproom but my scraproom has a big 4 x 6 window that looks into the family room. Eventually, I want a bookshelf in my living room that will hold all of them for easier access but for now I am happy with what I have.

and just for the record....I don't think there is ever a "perfect" scraproom. I'm always reworking something in mine to make it work better or micro organizing something. The location of my scraproom is perfect....organizing it is a never ending process.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to leslief

Yes my area works for me! My area is very small so I need storage, but not too much. I have one small wall of storage, but it is not filled to capacity. I like to have everything organized so I can see what I have..the only thing I wish I had was a larger table; I currently scrap on my small computer stand; just big enough to hold my expression/creatopia.
I would not add more storage because then I would want to add more equipment!
As other suggested, get holders for them. I have my wrapping paper tucked in between small gaps between my shelves. My ribbons are stored in a container. If it was really out of control, I would mount a papertowel holder to the wall and have the ribbon stored on there instead.
I do not have any completed albums yet, but I am planning on storing them on a bookshelf in my office part of my space.......

I learned that you have to work with what you have. My space is small and I yearn for a place to spread out a bit, but I make due and it works...

oodleoo
Resident
oodleoo
In response to cindy312

1. I have a dedicated scrapbook room. It works great for me. I set it up (after many different configurations) according to my work style. My example of this is: I like to use the computer and I tend to sit there most of the time. So I made sure that my most used items are next to the spot that I sit at, (for those lazy days after work). My chair rolls too...so I can fly across the room ;0 when I need something. I make sure my tv is in perfect view of my perch. I also have a cart that has 5 drawers, with duplicate most used items in it, for those days when I don't want to be away from the family, I can scrap anywhere.
2. I would use storage space as needed, something portable on wheels, is a nice way to go, because as your needs change, the room can change too.

3. I put wrap, bags and all that in a seperate side of the room, including, tape,scissors,all in a seperage plastic drawer. (I fold the wrapping paper, no rolls). The best thing that I have is a work table that I got from Costco (like the ones you put in the garage, love it use it, for cutting, wrapping spreading papers out you name it and I can put drawers underneath it. Check out my gallery, I have a photo).

4. I put my completed scrapbooks in my family room, so everyone can share in them. I love the fact that my children always take them down and look at them.

Hope that helps

Elisa

oodleoo
Resident
oodleoo
In response to ncyankee

After rearranging over and over. I finally have my paper, seperated into colors. One drawer for solid ex: blue solids and the next: blue patterns, green solids, green patterns etc. I use those cool scrap cubes that with drawers that can be assembled easily. Each color gets its own drawer and it is so easy to clean up. I even have some drawers for scraps. It looks so nice and clean when everything is in a closed in place.

oodleoo
Resident
oodleoo
In response to oodleoo

Can I add, that I love to organize, sometimes I think my real hobby is organizing scrapbook stuff. Not very productive, but fun..

Elisa

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to oodleoo

some great ideas on this thread!

I'm awful at organizing (and lazy about putting things away). I can never seem to figure out a system that actually works for me, which is frustrating.

Since I"m bad at organizing, I really ought to be better about minimizing my purchases, because it does often become more clutter. I have recently gone on a major purge, especially patterned paper, and donated/gave away some stuff. and i'm not done yet!

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to cindy312

For the most part. All of my stuff is either in drawers or baskets. I keep my punches and adhesives in one basket, inks in another, paints & stickles on a shelf. Pens/markers/pencils and most-used tools (exacto knife, scissors, paper piercer) are in either a cup or a plant pot.

One of the best things I ever did was to get some bead containers for my brads, eyelets and buttons. I can see exactly what I have without ever opening the containers...they travel well and I can keep something like 15 different items in each.

I have never really bought more storage stuff once I figured out how I wanted certain items stored. I have replaced some of my storage for something better suiting, but have not found myself reusing the older items (at least not for scrapping). If I can't fit it...it doesn't get bought unless specifically needed for a project.

Get it out of there! I store my wrapping paper in my hall closet where anyone can get it if needed.

Some are in the living room (wedding & travel albums), but most stay in my scraproom.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to CMLeach

It's okay to purge your gift wrap stuff, too. I saved every baby-themed gift bag both of my kids received and eventually came to realize that I didn't really need 60 baby bags. I weeded out most of them, along with some other stuff I just didn't like and took it to Goodwill.

Lisa

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics