Username Post: Looking for tips on altering tins        (Topic#1536043)
JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss

I've been inspired by a friend of mine who makes altered tins, and I want to do some as well. I've got a few ideas for what I want to do, it's the "how-to" that's eluding me. Any tips/tricks/suggestions? There are a couple of things in particular that I'm wondering about.
1. What's the best way to measure paper to wrap around my tin, and how do you do it when the tin has hinges and a clasp?
2. For another of my tins I'm thinking about painting the top of it and then decoupaging it. Do I need to do anything to it (like sanding) before I paint?
3. For another of my tins I want to use these neat printed sticker mats I have. I was going to just paste them on, but I'm wondering now if I sohuld use mod podge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've never altered anything before. Thanks!

~Jen

Nouel
Nouel 
Tenant
Nouel
  • Nouel on 06-03-10 10:22 PM
In response to JenKoss

This should help you Jen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaCwAuanBwA

Thanks Jen :O) You gave me a new project to work on. This looks so fun to do :O)

Nouel

Nouel
Nouel 
Tenant
Nouel
  • Nouel on 06-03-10 10:26 PM
In response to Nouel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj_1kvPkosA

Nouel

ScrappingKitty
Veteran
ScrappingKitty
In response to Nouel

I've been altering a lot of tea tins lately. I love it!! Lemme try to tackle these one at a time.

1. I measure the height of my tin, for example 4 inches high. Then I cut my paper so I have a piece that is 12" x 4". Next I brush modge podge on and place the paper on the tin, slowly and firmly to avoid air bubbles. If it's more than 12 inches around, I simply cut another strip of paper to cover the last bit, trying to line up any patterns on the paper. If it has a hinge, I wouldn't recommend putting paper over it. The movement would be likely to deteriorate the paper over time. Ribbon is a great way to cover up hinges or any little bit of metal that did not get covered by the paper. Over the hinges because it is more pliable than the paper and has a better chance of surviving long term. I run my ribbon through a Xyron X. That sticks pretty darn good.

2. You do not need to sand the top first if you opt for a paint that is designed for use on metal. I suggest Adirondack paint dabbers. They come in so many colours, you're sure to find one that matches your paper.

3. When I am done with all flat embellishments on the tin (paper, stamps, stickers, rub-ons, etc), I coat the entire thing with modge podge or another clear glaze. This sort of seals it all together. I would just paste your sticker mats down however you want and then do a final coat of modge podge over it to seal it all in. 3-D embellishments (flowers, bling, etc) can go on top of the modge podge layer without a problem.

Hope that helps!!

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to ScrappingKitty

Thanks ScrappingKitty - those are great tips! And I'll be sure to check out those videos Nouel!

~Jen

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics