Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Scrappers worst nightmare!        (Topic#1536325)
Tenant

At least to me this is...

I was rearranging some LOs when I noticed that the pp was coming off of the cs and then I noticed that the photos were as well.

I was horrified.

For a minute I felt really stupid for investing so much time and money into this hobby but then I got out the glue and fixed the page. I will be so upset if this happens to more LO's...

I used glue sticks for almost all my LOs for the last four years. AAAGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

Its such an awful feeling to see my scrapbooks fall apart so soon. In my head these things are going to be around for my great great great grandkids to look at!

jessicaparker88
Resident
jessicaparker88
In response to Nat Scraps

OH NO! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I haven't seen any of mine fall apart yet, but I only started a year ago, so I guess it's a future possibility, because I didn't really care about the strength of my adhesives when I first started. Now I try to get the very best that I can at my lss, but who knows how good it really is...it might just be expensive for no good reason lol!

Good luck to you with your lo's, I hope you can find something stronger!

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to jessicaparker88

so sorry to hear about your layouts falling apart. I've never used glue sticks because I heard they would do that.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Rosita

Glue sticks are known for that,,,,,I'm so sorry!!!! I recommend getting the ATG gun,,,the initial output for the gun is a bit pricey,,,,about 40-60 dollars,,,,,but the adhesive is about as good as it gets and the refills are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP, yard per yard,,,9 out of 10 people love the ATG gun and adhesive,,,,the only few that I've known who were not in love were left handers, although my DD uses it just fine and she's left handed,,,

whatever you pick I surely hope you can fix those up before they all fall apart!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to CommaHolly

I prefer my kokuyo to my ATG (and I'm not a left-hander). It seems like the adhesive is actually stronger, to me.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to queenofstash

Glue sticks won't hold, I love my ATG and I am a lefty.

cdjohnson
Governor
cdjohnson
In response to CorrieW

I agree with the ATG gun although I have an "off brand" but the adhesive is GREAT and CHEAP!

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to cdjohnson

an off brand??? Do tell....

I am so looking forward to my ATG. DH said he would get me one for our anniversary in September. I can't wait.

Inkiepinkies
Expert
Inkiepinkies
In response to PhotobearSam

I have never had any luck with glue sticks. I do a lot of paper piecing and have found Elmo's smile and Oscar's trash can down in the bottom of the page protector, and some of the items glued in with the stick has visibly changed colors.

I now use the good old fashioned photo splits for pieces, the Xyron 250 for all the bitty pieces and the Xyron 850 for the big jobs--I still like making serendipity paper for use in cards, and once in a while on a layout. The 850 is the perfect tool for serendipity paper.

Nancy

lstory 
Mayor
In response to Inkiepinkies

I'm a leftie and the ATG has been tough for me to get used to. I'm on my third refill and I'm finally feeling pretty comfortable with it. The problem for lefties is that you can't see where the adhesive is going. Now I've used it enough that I know, but try switching hands and you'll see what I mean - you can't see around the red part of the housing. Typical longer learning curve for lefties living in a right-handed world. All in all, I'm happy I got it. For one thing, the adhesive is so much cheaper that I use it very generously. Nothing is coming off my pages and cards!

Lisa

peenut_23
Angel
peenut_23
In response to lstory

Yah glue sticks don't hold. Sorry

A lot of my Thickers fall off .. that annoys me because they are so darn expensive!!!!!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-09-10 08:47 AM
In response to Nat Scraps

I used a glue stick on my very first LO and so far it has not fell apart, but I really would not recommend them. The glue tends to get brittle over time and releases its hold.

I use photo splints, Zig 2-way glue or my ATG on most everything. The Zig 2-way glue pens are awesome for smaller items cut from the Cricut. I use photo splints a lot when I'm matting photos. I also bought my ATG at an extremely good price from a framing supply place online. It was the cheapest I had seen it.

Edited by LeeLo on 06-09-10 08:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to LeeLo

Glue sticks are USELESS!!!

Get some tape runner, glue dots, photo squares... anything but glue sticks, and go back and re-stick.

TripletMother
Governor
TripletMother
In response to Bxr-Linda

Love, love, love my ATG!!! I still use glue dots a lot too.

Jill - I am completely with you on Thickers. I LOVE them and have a TON of them, but my letters keep falling off!

ann0d
ann0d 
Resident
ann0d
  • ann0d on 06-09-10 09:42 AM
In response to TripletMother

I always a little bit of glue to my thickers, they stink at adhering.

Tigger
Tigger 
Mayor
Tigger
In response to ann0d

I'm so sorry about your LO's!!

I'm an ATG addict - I can't imagine using anything else ever again... and once that glues something down, it's DOWN.

michellehum
Tenant
michellehum
In response to Tigger

Yes, glue sticks are notorious for this. You have to stop using them and get some good adhesive! I've been scrapping for 8+ years and thankfully never used them. When I look at my albums from 8 years ago they are still all together (I use a tape runner for most things, liquid adhesive like ZipDry for small pieces, glue dots, and tacky tape).

I actually like that my Thickers don't adhere because I can move them around and play with them on the page. I always glue them down with ZipDry. I just don't even consider them to be self-adhesive.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to ann0d

• ann0d Said:
I always a little bit of glue to my thickers, they stink at adhering.

Me too.
Thickers (and any other self-adhesive chipboard) have crummy adhesive. I always add glue dots.

• michellehum Said:

I always glue them down with ZipDry. I just don't even consider them to be self-adhesive.

Me either.
I'd almost prefer NO adhesive.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Bxr-Linda

Ugh, so sorry! I used glue sticks at the beginning too, with the same results!

Tenant
In response to scraprabbit

Man, I wish I had known glue sticks don't actually stick. I remember I had used a liquid adhesive at first and it made my pages "bubble" then I tried a tape runner and it broke so then I tried the glue stick.

That seriously makes me so sad to think about all the pages I'll need to redo now.

Thanks for the thickers tip! I've used tons of those too and I'm sure they will need fixed at some point...

I also used a lot of the "self-adhesive" heidi swapp chipboard letters and those are horrible. I even got a few packages where the adhesive was already dry on the back!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics