Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Help me find the best adhesive!        (Topic#1536813)
Amigosa
Mayor
Amigosa

I need a permanent adhesive that is easy on, but won't take forever to apply to something like a detailed Cricut cut that is around 6" around. Maybe a roller? I'm not sure which one though. I want one that isn't going to leave excess adhesive off the edges of the cut. If that makes sense. Please help me in my dilemma!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Amigosa

I would recommend the Xyron or maybe a spray adhesive would work equally as well and is easier to obtain.

FunnyBunnyCrafts
Resident
FunnyBunnyCrafts
In response to HisGEM

I had this problem, too. I tried the roller adhesives and they work for larger designs, but not the intricate ones or letters/words very well. I agree with the spray adhesive, but make sure you use gloves!

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to HisGEM

• New2thisgame Said:
I would recommend the Xyon or maybe a spray adhesive would work equally as well and is easier to obtain.

Try Xyon!

Ashley_Jenna
Resident
Ashley_Jenna
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

I often use Zig Two Way Glue Pens for detailed Cricut cuts.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Ashley_Jenna

Dots and glue is what i use for the larger items

Edited by GTGW on 06-16-10 05:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ltlemermaid
Idol
ltlemermaid
In response to Just G

I use the xyron for detailed cricut cutouts and I haven't had any issues with it.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-16-10 06:00 AM
In response to ltlemermaid

Xyron, definately

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KimKV

As the ladies have all already mentioned...if you have a Cricut, the xyron mini x is your best friend.

If & whenever I run out out of refills, I will usually pull out my zig pen to get the job done!

HTH!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to KellyCali

I have a Xyron 502 that I use for intricate stuff. The trick is before peeling off the top (clear) layer, run (I use a dry emboss stylus) around the edges of ALL the edges. That will remove the extra adhesive from in between and around the cut. My new fav adhesive is Zip Dry.
Products Referenced in This Post:

zimmy471
Veteran
zimmy471
In response to scrap4brains

I, too, recommend the xyron, the Zig 2-way pen, and Zip Dry. If it is very detailed, I have run my cs through my xyron before cutting, then cut it with my cricut.

Selah Scrapping
Veteran
Selah Scrapping
In response to zimmy471

Oh by far, the "Scotch" quick dry adhiesive, it is the best its the only one I buy now, its quick, literally and just spread it with your fingers so you wont get any excess of the edge. For me its a must have, some other glues just take forever to dry, and can be tiresome, hope this helped, take care, bye!!!

dlc903
dlc903 
Veteran
dlc903
In response to Amigosa

Xyron X, Zig glue pen and Zip dry. Any of these will do the job great.

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 06-17-10 09:33 AM
In response to dlc903

Although I love and adore my little Xyron X I have to admit that for detailed shapes the goopies - even if I rub a stylus around it before peeling off the plastic - drives me nuts

so I have resorted to the following for really detailed designs or in your case larger designs (I do have the larger Xyrons as well and they work great for 6 inch designs like you mentioned but the refills get PRICEY

on these I am BRAND specific
glue dots
zip dry glue
2 way glue pen

HTH
Andrea

Expert
In response to ekip2

I don't think one type of adhesive suits every project.

I use my ATG for big stuff

Scotch quick dry , zig and xyron for other projects.

Glue dots and foam adhesive squares for yet others.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to lisarup

Glue dots, Tombow Metal Adhesive (has a learning curve to get it out in thin lines), or Zig 2-way. These are the only adhesives I ever use.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I like the idea of putting the cardstock through the Xyron before making your diecuts.

Suzastampin
Tenant
Suzastampin
In response to NMlady

Love my ATG gun for most everything! The only time I don't use it is for letters/designs cut wtih my Cricut that are smaller. For those I run it through the Xyron.

Suz

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-18-10 01:17 PM
In response to Amigosa

I've listed my favorite adhesives below. I occasionally use something else, but it depends on the project. These are the ones I use the most.

I guess the mounting squares are what I use the most of for regular scrapbook pages. They hold good, are neat and if I need to reposition something they can be pulled up if you've not smoothed them down good. I would say 95% of my pages utilize these.

The Zig pens are incredible with smaller Cricut cuts! LOVE them! I have used the Xyron X in the past, but I'm like another poster...hate the adhesive boogers. I also bought 2 different kinds of Zig pens for $2 each on clearance the other day.

As far as the Zots, I use them occasionally on things that have some dimension. For example, I used some the other day to stick down a flower that had a brad going through the middle. They did a good job at sticking to the brad & flower since they're kinda gel like.

My new favorite toy...my ATG gun! I've only had it a few weeks so I've not really got to play with it much yet. I've not had a chance to scrap much in the last few weeks. I have made a couple of cards using it and have altered a composition book using it too. It really holds things down great! I have yet to use it on a scrapbook page. Do you all use your ATG on pages or mostly on other projects (cards, altered notebooks, etc.)?

Anyways, I hope that helps! I'm sure there are other great adhesives out there that I've not even tried. These are just my go to ones and what I am comfortable with using. Thanks!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to LeeLo

Gotta tell you about THE BEST GLUE EVER by ScraPerfect. There are 5 demos on Youtube for this glue (including how to make your Cricut mat sticky again and making homemade glue dots), Debby's Dare just reviewed it last week on her blog giving it a 9.9 (and is loving it for vellum!) and Sudie Alexander picked it for one of her 3 top Fantastic Finds and Amazing Products on Unkit Live!

It's PERFECT for detailed cuts because of the fabulous fine tip. You don't need to apply it all over your diecut-- tiny dots around the edges will be totally enough! It's incredibly tacky, dries super fast & clear, and it very versatile! No odor or strings either.
Here are a few video inks to get you started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uuKO4ztMt0

http://www.youtube.com/user/scraperfect

http://www.livestream.com/jumpcreate/video?clip Id=pla_3...

Check out the complete line up at Debby's Dare Blog...and you even still have time to win a prize today (Father's Day).

http://debbysdares.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics