Username Post: Sealing Mod-Podge?        (Topic#1537067)
SwirlyGirl
Veteran
SwirlyGirl

Greetings!

I know I've seen this topic covered before, but I don't know how to find it.

I just finished decorating my American Crafts 3 ring album. It turned out fun. I mod-podged it. I recall reading about people who put a sealer of that. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advanced!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to SwirlyGirl

Mod-podge is a sealer of sorts, not sure what kind of sealer you'd use on it?

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to tinacome

No need to seal Mod Podge...it is a sealer.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to amandahugandkiss

Sometimes though, mod podge can remain sticky, so I suggest just getting some clear acrylic sealer from WM or any craft store and spraying that over it. That way, if nothing else, you have double sealant!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to StarsNSparkles

^That's why I don't use Mod Podge, depending on humidity, it remains sticky a lot.
I just Liquid Laminiate by the same folks who make zip Dry - it never dries sticky.

Resident
In response to tinacome

if you have to seal mod podge, what's the use in using it to begin with??? too many steps in my opinion.

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to lynzdee

Because mod podge gives a really cool look to whatever you use it on. I've been using it on some flowers and it makes it look kind of glassy. Not everything is for everybody though, which is why scrapping is so fun and so versatile! You only have to use what you like!

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to StarsNSparkles

• Scrap-a-Shop-a-Holic Said:
Because mod podge gives a really cool look to whatever you use it on. I've been using it on some flowers and it makes it look kind of glassy. Not everything is for everybody though, which is why scrapping is so fun and so versatile! You only have to use what you like!

You can get the same look with Liquid Laminiate with no sticky though

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 06-19-10 06:50 PM
In response to tinacome

I would use a spray-can sealer. You can find it in any craft store, probably on the same shelf as modge podge. I do find that the MP can dry sticky, so I recommend a sealer. I didn't use a sealer once on a chipboard book I made with modge podge and over time, the pages began to stick together.

For future reference, I used the Martha Stewart brand of modge podge on a project and liked it loads better than Modge Podge. No stickiness and no need for sealer. I've never tried the zip dry brand mentioned above, but I do love Zip Dry glue.

SwirlyGirl
Veteran
SwirlyGirl
In response to IzzyB

Thanks much all! Going to get the sealer and try the other laminate mentioned for my next project!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to IzzyB

• IzzyB Said:
I would use a spray-can sealer. You can find it in any craft store, probably on the same shelf as modge podge. I do find that the MP can dry sticky, so I recommend a sealer. I didn't use a sealer once on a chipboard book I made with modge podge and over time, the pages began to stick together.

For future reference, I used the Martha Stewart brand of modge podge on a project and liked it loads better than Modge Podge. No stickiness and no need for sealer. I've never tried the zip dry brand mentioned above, but I do love Zip Dry glue.

I have a box that was bone dry when closed, and now the lid is STUCK FAST and will NOT open,,,

yep,,,,,,,not buying mod podge again.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 06-20-10 03:32 PM
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
  • IzzyB Said:

I have a box that was bone dry when closed, and now the lid is STUCK FAST and will NOT open,,,

yep,,,,,,,not buying mod podge again.

I normally use clear acrylic sealer and then leave the item somewhere warm to dry for at least 2 days.

All sealers will become touch dry in a few hours but might not be 100% dry for up to a week.

DF thinks mt caution is overkill but he doesnt seal things which touch each other and have to craft knifed apart again.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to Obi

mod podge can be tacky if its humid

i use krylon crystal clear to seal

cre8tivemusings
Tenant
cre8tivemusings
In response to HerHighness68

Dos Modge Podge or oother things lik ethat turn yellow with ag? I know my mom modge-podged/shallac (sp?) a box when she was in college, and it's yellow, and we also usd it to put pieces of wallpaper cutouts on th backs of our kitchen barstools (probably 15 years ago), and they have also yellowed a good bit.

BarronSomde
New Kid On the Block
BarronSomde
In response to cre8tivemusings

what do you rest the page on when you seal it, how do you make sure that it wont seal the mat to the page?

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to BarronSomde

I had a question about this too, but slightly different. I wanted to use Mod Podge on images that I printed from my laser printer onto card stock. It didn't work that well. Not that it dried sticky, it dried fine. But it made the inkjet colors bleed just a bit. I also found that Crackel did the same thing. I'm sure it's because it's inkjet ink because that doesn't happen to scrap papers. Is there not an acrylic spray or some sort of spay you can put on first to prevent the running?

TIA!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics