Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 08:10 AM
In response to t-scraps

I can't believe all this time I've been on SB.com and never knew there was a book thread!!

Hi everyone Mind if I join in?

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Vae

Hi Jarvae! I am not on this thread much but, I am sure you are more than welcome! What kind of books do you enjoy reading? I read anything from comic books to medical journals depending on my mood and need at the moment. I am currently reading an "advance copy" titled Dancing Dogs that I won on www.goodreads.com. It is a online book where you can sign up for free books, keep track of what you have read and what you want to read. I have won 9 books so far! And most of them had not been published yet. Sort of a peak at what is coming soon. Anyhoo, if you are interested PM me and I will give you my name and you can "friend" me on there.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 11:07 AM
In response to 2xblessed

Thanks! I think I am actually signed up on goodreads.com but I never really did anything with it. Let me see if I can still remember my login.

I read a lot of different genres and I read about 2-3 books per week. The last few books I have read include: Ready Player One, Interview with the Vampire, A Sweethaven Summer (has a scrapbooking focus) and The Fallen Series. I also read a lot of self-improvement stuff and love to listen to audio books.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Vae

HI, Jarvae!! Welcome!!

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to TraciK

I have been on the 3rd book of the Fae Series by Karen Marie Moning, for ages now. I just need to get busy and finish reading it.

Hello everyone, sorry if I just barged right on in here. I'm elizabeth. *waves*

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to elizabeth97

Hi Elizabeth. Waving back.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to Henri Jean

Hi ladies! Again it has been a while

I am one of the suckers for the 50 shades series. It took me a long time to start them, and when I did, I read them in 2 1/2 days....yes, all 3 in 2 1/2 days! I blushed through most of it, but was intregued! I did the same thing with the Twilight series and The Hunger Games Series.

Currently I am reading In the Bag by Kate Klise. Found it on Goodreads (which I love!) and so far it has kept me interested.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to m.perk

Welcome Elizabeth!!

I'm still reading 50 Shades Darker. Dang that guy is one messed up person!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to TraciK

Oh yeah, Hunger Games, that's the other series I want to read. Plus the 4th book of Eragon series. It's been so long, I don't remember the other 3 but I'm definitely not rereading, too many things to do.

AND

I just received the Traveling Scrap-n-Craft Mystery Books from Henri. I may have to put my kindle down and start reading those.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 02:27 PM
In response to pugs223

I did the same thing... read all the 50 shades books in just a few days. Right now I'm reading a bunch of geek fiction... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Snow Crash, and one more... I can't remember the title of it.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
I did the same thing... read all the 50 shades books in just a few days. Right now I'm reading a bunch of geek fiction... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Snow Crash, and one more... I can't remember the title of it.

I've attempted to read that book several times. It was my late bff's favorite book. I know they came out with a movie several years ago too

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Vae

Jarvae, do you like sci-fi? One of my favorite books is Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's a dystopian, cyborg Cinderella, way better than the Disney version. Cinder has a great brain and she's not waiting around for Prince Charming to save her. Fun and different. I've read it 3 times.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Karen B

Finished up The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. Excellent read!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to t-scraps

Amazon - Sea Swept
I just finished “listening to” Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay, Book 1), Nora Roberts, 1998. I was trying to break out of my “Young Adult” and “murder/mystery” pit and though I would try a romance novel.

Now you would think this story, with its nautical & sailing backdrop, would be the perfect adventure for me, but from the very beginning I had difficulties with the moral compass and ethics of both main characters. Which is a strange thing as I am far from being a prude. I couldn’t just “go with the story” because of certain attitudes of the “players” and their poor boundaries. Like the concept that “it’s OK to be a womanizer and when the right woman comes along she will magically transformed mr playboy into a home-loving hero”. I don’t think so but I’ll have to read a few more books to find out.

The beginning of the book also left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn’t expect a female author to write so disrespectfully about women. But because it is a lengthy series, maybe great things happen in the later books and everyone forgets about the past. And “forgetting about the past “ does seem to be a recurring theme among all of the characters.

I am just starting to wrap my head around the concept of a “book series”. Some books, while part of a series, give you a complete and fulfilling story while other books seem to be a big tease. “Want to know what happens…then you have to read the next book.” I may read, I mean “listen to” the next book in the Chesapeake Bay series because I have it and it was free. But it won’t be anytime soon.

For now I am reading CLEOPATRA! Talk about a a bad moral compass and loose ethics! Amazon -Cleopatra - A life

LisaLoves2ScrapNRead
Idol
LisaLoves2ScrapNRead
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Finally finished The Hunger Games series. Starting One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf next.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to LisaLoves2ScrapNRead

Going to start on Carry The One.

"Carry the One begins in the hours following Carmen’s wedding reception, when a car filled with stoned, drunk, and sleepy guests accidentally hits and kills a girl on a dark country road. For the next twenty-five years, those involved, including Carmen and her brother and sister, craft their lives in response to this single tragic moment. As one character says, “When you add us up, you always have to carry the one.” Through friendships and love affairs; marriage and divorce; parenthood, holidays, and the modest calamities and triumphs of ordinary days, Carry the One shows how one life affects another and how those who thrive and those who self-destruct are closer to each other than we’d expect."

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Erin in Okc

Finished Fifty Shades Darker, I'm not sure if I am going to read the third or not.

Starting Kiss me Deadly

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-21-12 08:13 AM
In response to Karen B

• Karen B Said:
Jarvae, do you like sci-fi? One of my favorite books is Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It's a dystopian, cyborg Cinderella, way better than the Disney version. Cinder has a great brain and she's not waiting around for Prince Charming to save her. Fun and different. I've read it 3 times.

Yes! I will go look for it- that sounds like a fantastic story! Thanks for the rec!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-21-12 08:14 AM
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:

I've attempted to read that book several times. It was my late bff's favorite book. I know they came out with a movie several years ago too

I've still just barely started it. I haven't had any spare time to read this week at all. The books are pretty short though so we'll see. There are actually 5 of them I think? Maybe more. But I'll wait to decide if I'll read the others. It's pretty funny so far though, in that it is so far-fetched and random. I like books that I can't guess the ending to.

Expert
In response to Vae

I was reading Left Behind. I got about half way through it and just lost interest in it. Maybe I'll just rent the movie! ha ha

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics