Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
Expert
In response to TraciK

I think I am the only person who really didn't care for Gone Girl...........

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to scrappy_day

I haven't read it....so there might be another one out there. lol

meluv2scrap
Veteran
meluv2scrap
In response to TraciK

I just read a 2 book series that I loved! Slammed and Point of Interest. I laughed and I cried and just loved both books!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to meluv2scrap

Tonight I started Unseen by John Michael Hileman and am already halfway through it! Very good. About hunting for a serial killer of children, not one of my usual genres. Currently free for Kindle.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Karen B

Dang my Nook has me so spoiled. Reading Deadlocked on a regular book, which I haven't done in forever. Its so much easier seeing on my Nook.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to TraciK

Finished Unseen. Really liked it, loved the ending.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Karen B

I have not had time to read lately!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TraciK

I haven't either Traci. I'm in Hawaii - have been traveling for 8 weeks. I've read exactly 2 pages on my Kindle and can't even tell you what book it is.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, you should be on the beach reading! lol

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to TraciK

I've been reading Ender's Game and come to realize it's yet another Young Adult (YA) book.

I gotta stop taking me reading cues from Goodreads. I figured out that the site has a large, chatty young adults population but I didn't realize how much the YA membership is REALLY swaying the ratings on the site.

So now that I have read several YA books, and am reading Ender's Game which was written in 1985, I am changing my opinion on the Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games contains some pretty well established YA formats, plots, and recurring themes. It really isn't anything special or a breakthrough.

It's like the concept that... Harry Potter wasn't the first wizard story to come along but it captued the YA audience. How much of it was through Marketing? Twilight wasn't the first vampire story but it captured the YA audience. Hunger Games wasn't the first theme of book story but it captured the YA. and again How much of it was through Marketing?

It's sad in a way because there are better books out there for the YA audience to gloom onto. But it is interesting to ponder what will be the next theme the YA audience will move to...
maybe a good "rebel against the school system" novel...a bunch of kids take on their own education and advance in our economy because knowledge is power.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I probably should be on the beach reading and Bill would drop me off when he goes to the bus if I asked him to - I think the bus is actually going to sell today and be moved today or tomorrow! If so, then we get to go home tomorrow.

In 3 weeks here this time we haven't been to the beach yet. Bill goes to the bus and sorts and cleans and gets it ready to sell while I sleep late and chill in the room. With 10 years worth of storage stuff in it there is a lot of work for him to empty it. It's nice having clothes and utensils and a grill and everything we need always here but he is putting it all in a huge walk-in storage locker to have when we are here. We may come back in a couple months. We have also been looking at some condos and a fixer-upper house but I doubt we will buy here for just 2 visits a year.

THen he comes home to get me and take me to lunch and we usually get food to go and then take it to somewhere by the water to eat it.

Then we often go to the North Shore or Waikiki. This afternoon we are going to Waikiki to run errands. Sometimes to the Dole Pineapple plantation for the afternoon - we always go somewhere.

Then at night we get together with friends for dinner or we bbq chicken or cook shrimp.

We were here for a month from mid-January through mid-February this earlier this year and had a cabin on the beach. I was at the beach every day because it was right out our back door. We were 20 yards from the water - I could see the whales jumping from our dining room window.

However, I didn't want to stay there this time, I wanted to stay on Pearl Harbor and its a 5-10 minute drive to the beach on Hickam. Out of walking distance, especially in this heat.

We are right at the submarine dock and an AUstralian sub dodcked right in front of our door (we are on the 5th floor and have a great view)so we are enjoying watching all the activity on the sub the past few days.

Later today or int he morning we have been invited to go on a tour inside the AUstralian sub.

My real estate licenses are up for renewal in both states and I have a lot of computer continuing ed and studying and when I am here it is a good time to get on the computer and do that while Bill is dealing with the bus. I may try to get some studying in while he is gone this morning so we can go to lunch when he gets back. Then we will tour the sub and I know we are spending the afteroon in Waikiki. Possibly dinner with friends tonight - waiting to hear. If not, I have fresh shrimp in my refrigerator to cook.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Henri Jean

sounds like you are busy, but also having a good time with some friends!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to TraciK

I finished Deadlocked.

Gelidy, so is Enders Game any good? I like to read YA sometimes but not back to back to back.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to TraciK

Hi Ladies...haven't checked in here for AGES...but I still have been reading up a storm!

Some of my favorites lately.....The Good Dream (didn't want it to end!), Guilty Wives, The Flight of Gemma Hardy and of course, the 50 Shades trilogy.

I just started the Rules of Civility..haven't really gotten into it but am excited to.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to m.perk

I just finished; Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action
by Nick Vujicic last night. It is an advanced copy. The book won't be out until Oct. I think. It is an amazing book and it made me want to get his first book; Life Without Limbs. I would absolutely love to hear him speak in person. Maybe someday.
I just started David Baldaucci (sp.); Stone Cold. It is starting off good. We will see!
If anyone on here is on goodreads.com and would like to "friend" just send me a PM here. I love the site. It is a great way to keep up with what your favorite authors are doing and to discover new ones. Most of all, it is a great way to get FREE books most of the time before they are even out!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to 2xblessed

Thought this was funny:

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Karen B

lol, that is so true!!

I downloaded Fifty Shades Darker today.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to TraciK

Read a very nice Christian romance, Stuck in the Middle, http://www.amazon.com/Stuck-Middle-Sister-- -Sister-eboo... It's currently free for Kindle. Totally clean, would feel comfortable having a teen or even middle school age girl read this one. The book/relationship is about choosing what God wants for your life.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Karen B

Just finished "Cut, Crop and Die" (book 2 of a series but first one I read since it was free for my Kindle).

Thought it was good. Several parts made me laugh because of many debates on the sb.com forums.

I'm a few pages behind here, but am I the only one not interested in reading the 50 shades series? I read an excerpt online and the writing just seems like it would drive me crazy.

Expert
In response to pugs223

Pugs223 you are not alone. I tried the 50 shades series and didn't like it. I guess it's just not my kind of thing. I had a couple of issues with it. I'm sure I'll be yelled at for these too.
One of my issues is she is a virgin, meets this guy and he's into S&M - and she is just like "oh ok!" Really? I think I would run screaming!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics