Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to scrappy_day

I loved the Left Behind boooks but the movie, it just didn't cut it for me. INteresting but I liked the books better.

Maybe the movie would have been better for me if I hadn't read the books first.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006

Hello! I am just starting Red Mist by Patricia Cornwell and I just finished the last book by Chloe Neill on the Chicagoland Vampires. I also have the navy seal book about Osama and I have to get that read before husband comes back in Nov from overseas.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to Debbie2006

And Henri i loved the Left Behind series and was also disappointed with the movies....books were better.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

The book about the Navy Seals should be interesting. When we flew home from Hawai the last time Obama had just been there and was enroute to Australia, where we had just come from. (Everywhere we go our paths cross with him - in Seattle, In Singapore, and twice in Hawaii).

Anyway, we were leaving Hawaii on a C-5 and at least a dozen very good looking young men came into the base terminal - Hickam AFB.

They all had big cases - weapons obviously and a few really huge crates with larger weapons and piled them all by the door when they came in to take on teh plane.

Bill told me - Those are Navy Seals and I'm quite sure they are part of Seal Team 6. Some of them probably were there when Bin Laden was taken down.

On the plane (felt safe with those guys and all those weapons!). There were only the Seals and us which was interesting and 73 seats.

My husband asked them, "So what do you do." They all replied, "We are in the Navy".

My husband said, "Look I was in the army for 20 years, Special Forces - I was a Green Beret. We were taught, if anyone asked to say, "I'm in the army."

He just grinned and then started talking to him. Yep, some Seal Team 6 there.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Finished Dead Reckoning (Sookie book) and started on Gone Girl.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to t-scraps

My son is in the hospital in Tampa and I'm staying in the hotel so I bought 2 hardbacks that I have had for a while but not read yet. (Usually I use my Kindle).

Im 25% into WIcked Business by Janet Evanovich. Cute but oh, so silly. Like the Stephanie Plum books better, although they are pretty silly, they do make me laugh. This one is just weird but so was Wicket Appetite.

I have the Last James Patterson - Women's Murder Club mystery to read next. 11th hour. I'll probably start it tomorrow. I like to have 2 or 3 books going at once so I can change back and forth all day.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to Henri Jean

I am sorry to hear your son is in the hospital...my prayers for him tonight to feel better soon! I love Stephanie Plum books too! Sue Grafton is great also. Thx for the comment about the seals, my husband was/is Army and he does the same thing when people ask. There's nothing better to me than seeing one of our soliders in uniform, it makes me proud!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

Henri, I hope your son gets better soon!

I hate reading more than one book at a time! lol

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TraciK

Me too Deb. I am just so proud of our men and women in uniform.

Is your husband active now? You mentioned was/is and that confused me a bit. I tell people its because I'm old. Not that old but its a great excuse.

Forgot about Sue Grafton. I read part of hers and want to go back and read them all. I loved her books! I keep thinking I will put them all on my Kindle and go through them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think this has been a positive hospital stay. Joe got viral encephalitis when he was 17 which left him with a seizure disorder.

He has been in the hospital since last week becuase they wanted to induce a seizure to map it. He finally had one yesterday so we are waiting to see if they got enough of a reading on it so we can proceed with further testing.

From all signs so far, he looks like a perfect candidate for brain surgery! If so, the doctors are optimistic he will be seizure free for the first time in 18 years - able to finally drive and do things he's never been able to do.

So if test results keep coming in as we hope they will, and the way his doctor expects them too, in a couple months, this horrible 18 years of seizures will be in the past and Joe will have a new and normal life! So this is all good.

Expert

Best wishes for Joe, Henri.

I just started reading Zoo by James Patterson.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B

Sounds like great news, Henri!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Karen B

Thanks so much. They started introducing Joe's meds back tonight - if all goes well, we take him home on Thursday.

I don't think I've heard of Zoo by James Patterson. Will have to check that one out.

Expert

Zoo by James Patterson is brand new. I always check out which books are coming out and then put the on hold at the library. So I guess I was one of the first ones to get it that fast!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I started reading 11th Hour today and noticed the back of it is an ad for Zoo. Think I will just download it on my Kindle though.

I do have all the WOmen's Murder Mysteries in hardback and will continue to buy those in hardback but the rest of my James Patterson stuff is for my Kindle.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

I read a really great book called "Wonder"!!
Check out my latest blog post to read about it.

***And, no I am not trying to get people to read my blog, it's just that I wrote about it on my blog and just felt it would be easier to send you there if you wanted to learn more about it.***

A Day In Doreena's Life (About a Book)

Edited by Doreena on 09-27-12 11:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

teenuh
teenuh 
Tenant
teenuh
In response to Doreena

Yay for books!

I just started reading the Harry Potter series for the first time earlier this year. I'm currently on the last book, but I'm having a hard time finishing it because it's so much more depressing than all the previous books in the series! I still can't believe Dumbledore is gone...

@Doreena. I might just buy that book later this week. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by teenuh on 09-27-12 10:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert

• Henri Jean Said:
I started reading 11th Hour today and noticed the back of it is an ad for Zoo. Think I will just download it on my Kindle though.

I do have all the WOmen's Murder Mysteries in hardback and will continue to buy those in hardback but the rest of my James Patterson stuff is for my Kindle.

So far Zoo is pretty good. I was reading it on my lunch hour and ended up coming back 10 minutes late because I got sucked into it! I love a good book!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to teenuh

• teenuh Said:
Yay for books!

I just started reading the Harry Potter series for the first time earlier this year. I'm currently on the last book, but I'm having a hard time finishing it because it's so much more depressing than all the previous books in the series! I still can't believe Dumbledore is gone...

@Doreena. I might just buy that book later this week. Thanks for the suggestion!

I am a HUGE HP fan! I have read and re-read those books! My son loves them too! Actually he got me into them! (My son is good at that, which, if you read my blog post you'd fully understand my comment, LOL). And yes the last book is so much more depressing but it is good I promise!

You're welcome for the suggestion, I hope you like it! Let me know. You can reply to my blog or send me a PM, however you want but I would really like to know (even if you DON"T like it)!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Doreena

Dorena, Wonder does sound good! I'd noticed the cover but never flipped through it. Amazon readers agree with you--it's rated 4.8 out of 5 stars, one of the highest ratings I've seen.

I think I'll read it myself before deciding if I'll suggest it to my 8 year old. He's a very good reader, but also extra sensitive. It might be a good choice for him as he also struggles with differentness and acceptance. Not with deformities, but more typical things like wearing glasses and some less-common interests.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics