Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Karen B

• Karen B Said:
Dorena, Wonder does sound good! I'd noticed the cover but never flipped through it. Amazon readers agree with you--it's rated 4.8 out of 5 stars, one of the highest ratings I've seen.

I think I'll read it myself before deciding if I'll suggest it to my 8 year old. He's a very good reader, but also extra sensitive. It might be a good choice for him as he also struggles with differentness and acceptance. Not with deformities, but more typical things like wearing glasses and some less-common interests.

Awesome! (Gee you'd think I wrote the book, LOL)!

And interesting that you say that about your son, as I think my son enjoyed it because he is a bit of an outsider as well, but for different, far less drastic reasons.

Again it's geared toward middle school readers so the writing style is not what you would call "sophisticated" but still a good read and very touching story!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Doreena

Henri, sending prayers your sons way!! I hope all goes GREAT for him.

I love James Patterson. I will have to get on the list for Zoo!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Erin in Okc

Finished Kiss Me Deadly, it was only ok.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TraciK

I'm 30 or 40 pages into 11th Hour (James Patterson). Been scrapping and not reading since we got home.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to Henri Jean

Henri I never know exactly how to explain what husband does but hes retired from Army and now hes a contractor but he works closely with the air force. Hes overseas right now. I am glad to hear your son is doing better!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Debbie2006

I know exactly what you are talking about. My husband has done a lot of contract work and worked closely with the military at the same time.

He worked for Blackwater after 9-11 and went to Iraq and was personal body protection for Ambassador Bremer. Blackwater is contract work - retired Navy seals and special forces and I think they take retired police officers but not sure. Some contractors only take retired or former military and some now take retired or former police officers too.

They do the work of the military but through a private contractor to do work the military for some reason can't do. And they often work closely with the military. Lots of former or retired military guys with really high degrees of skills do contract work.

One of our neighbors is doing contract work in Afghanistan - has been training bomb sniffing dogs for 2 years for the military and works closely with them. His background is former police officer with a canine partner.

Bill doesn't take assignments anymore - even though the money would be wonderful becuase the contract companies pay so well, he is getting to the point in his life where he is home now and we are enjoying retirement.

But even though he is 63 years old, the offers still come in from the contract companies.

Diva

I love to read! Right now, I am reading one is Spanish: Hasta llegar a la Meta from Omar Herrera. ( Until we get tot he finish line) Christian book. I hear his story and bought the book.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to bayamonesa1

If anyone is looking for a good ghost story to read, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) is on sale for the Kindle for $1.99!!!

Stephen King erie, but not sci-fi Stephen King erie.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to t-scraps

Will download that one - is it his first book?

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

• Henri Jean Said:
Will download that one - is it his first book?

I think his first novel; there is a collection of short stories, 20th Century Ghosts, that came out first I think. I have that book, but haven't read it yet. His second novel is Horns, but I enjoyed Heart Shaped Box better.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to t-scraps

I'm reading To Conquer a Highlander. Its pretty good.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to TraciK

I went to Amazon and read the reviews on Heart Shaped Box and it sounds interesing!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

I don't like Stephen King books although I love hsi movies! I guess I just don't care for his writing style. His books seem to be too long and drawn out. Although I did enjoy reading "Misery"!

I'm currently ready "Fat Chick".
It's pretty good.
It's about a woman who was obsese and unhappy and thought that if she lost weight it would make her life better... so far it has, but I'm only halfway through it so who knows if it stays that way!

Edited by Doreena on 10-03-12 08:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Doreena

So I finished "Fat Chick".
It started off kinda slow but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I actually had to pace myself because I hate getting a book and plowing through it too fast. I feel like i should savor it a little bit (I know I'm crazy!).
Anyway, good book.

There was a lot more to it than just the superficial, "Fat Chick" loses weight and becomes "fabulous"! Actually had me thinking after I was done...since I have always been the type of person to totally stress out and go overboard about my weight (even suffering w/ different eating disorders)! It's 99 cents on Amazon, although I borrowed it for free thru my Prime Account.

Edited by Doreena on 10-05-12 08:13 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Doreena

The book I'm reading has a highlander in it and it makes me sooooo miss Jamie!! For those that have read Outlander know what I'm talking about. lol

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to t-scraps

Dorena, thanks again for the recommendation of Wonder! I just finished it last night and thought it was a great book. I'm going to try having my 8 year old read it, too. (He's an above average reader, needs a challenge, and I think the topic of bullying and how this character dealt with it would be good for him.)

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Karen B

I'm so glad you liked it!
As I said, I loved it!
And yes it does teach a very good lesson... not only to the person being bullied but the kids that bully!
I like the part where the principal says something about "being kinder than you need to be"...
If only we could all live like that!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Doreena

I am currently reading a book I won on www.goodreads.com. The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley. It is very good. I have won a lot of great books since joining them.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:
I am currently reading a book I won on www.goodreads.com. The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley. It is very good. I have won a lot of great books since joining them.

I've never won any of their giveaways, but I don't submit reviews or ratings their either. Probably why I don't win.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:

Now you got me curious about this goodreads...
Gonna check them out.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics