Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
Diva
In response to Doreena

Thinking about The Hunger Games. Not sure if they are good read!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to bayamonesa1

Loved,loved, loved the Hunger Games!!!!

The first book is the best and WAY better than the movie! But then again aren't all books better than the movie!
I found the second book to be a bit slow but still good.
And the third is better than the second but as I said the first was the best!

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
Loved,loved, loved the Hunger Games!!!!

The first book is the best and WAY better than the movie! But then again aren't all books better than the movie!
I found the second book to be a bit slow but still good.
And the third is better than the second but as I said the first was the best!

I agree I am in the middle of the second book and the first was excellent!

Also I chkd out goodreads its kind of fun keeping track of your books and seeing what they recommend. I am all over the place on books and what i read so its a good thing to give me recommendations!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Debbie2006

I have finished the scrap and craft mystery series by Joanna Campbell Slan.

Who us next on the list for the travelling books? Pm me an address and I can get them sent out next week.

I thought they were a good read but can't imagine having Kiki's luck. There's a sixth book, not sure if it's out already or not. Have to read it, need to know what happens now.

Next up, maybe Hunger Games or book 2 of The Lord of the Rings series.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to pugs223

Doreen, I love www.goodreads.com because I love books and can't always afford to try a new to me author. This way I have a chance to win their book and if it turns out I don't care for their writing, I haven't lost any $$. Send me a friend request on it if you decide to join.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to bayamonesa1

• bayamonesa1 Said:
Thinking about The Hunger Games. Not sure if they are good read!

I also loved the Hunger Games!! Read them, they are great!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to TraciK

I have Where the River Ends by Charles Martin to start on today.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to TraciK

Ok so I joined Good Reads but I'm not sure I understand it yet...
I left a review and rated many books (mostly kids, LOL!)and even entered a give-away for a free book, but still not sure I completely understand the site.

Edited by Doreena on 10-15-12 06:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:
Doreen, I love www.goodreads.com because I love books and can't always afford to try a new to me author. This way I have a chance to win their book and if it turns out I don't care for their writing, I haven't lost any $$. Send me a friend request on it if you decide to join.

How do I friend request you?
Or maybe you should friend request me instead.
UN = Doreena

Edited by Doreena on 10-15-12 06:49 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Doreena

I use goodreads to
1) keep track of the books I have read, I own, and I want to read. (I even use the bar code scanner app on my iphone and scan actual books.)

2) see reviews on books and what's popular. But I have to warn you goodreads is particularly "youth' oriented. This means any book that is “assigned reading in our school system” by default has a high rating. It really makes me wonder if some of these “classics” really are that good or just that everyone was forced to read them and now is commenting. And the most popular “Young Adult” books are extremely popular on this site. If you go by goodreads, Harry Potter, Twilight, and the Hunger Games ARE the best book EVER written.

3) read discussions about a book. It’s interesting to see responses to questions and people debate certain aspects. There have been several times I thought “that’s an angle that didn’t occur to me” or “your right, that is unbelievable”. And some discussions are downright funny. I also like to spy on the book club discussions. (There are book clubs that are part of goodreads that you can join.) The trivia games and voting on popularity list are also fun.

4) get to know the authors better. Several have blogs, write reviews, have quotes, answer questions, post on what they are reading. It’s fun to learn a little bit more about them.

What I am really not very big on is the social aspect of goodreads (the same way I don’t embrace facebook). I just do my own thing (read reviews, post my stuff for my own use) and don’t “one on one” interact with other members or reading groups. I tend to shy away from internet social things because I never want to feel obligated to check a site, have to respond, read notifications, etc. Some people don’t mind getting a lot of information from “internet friends” like what people are reading, commenting on, etc. It’s just not for me.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Thanks for the info! It does sound interesting I just have to learn my way around it I guess... like every new site.

Expert
In response to Doreena

I started reading a book by Tess Gerritsen. Does anyone watch the show Rizzoli & Isles? The show is based on some of her books! I love them!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to scrappy_day

Finished The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley. It was very good.
Just started Happily Ever Madder by Stephanie McAfee and it seems like it will be good, too.
Doreena, I will look you up on goodreads.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

• scrappy_day Said:
I started reading a book by Tess Gerritsen. Does anyone watch the show Rizzoli & Isles? The show is based on some of her books! I love them!

I have never heard of the show.....

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to TraciK

I've heard of the show but have never watched it.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Doreena

I'm going crazy over at "GoodReads" entering giveaways, LOL!
Plus I found some interesting books to read.
Thanks for the tip!
Still trying to figure everything else out...

bears99
Diva
bears99
In response to TraciK

• TraciK Said:
  • scrappy_day Said:

I LOVE the show Rizzoli and Isles!! I did not know the show was based on a book so now I will go find that author and check her out! Thanks for the tip.

Expert
In response to bears99

• bears99 Said:
  • TraciK Said:
  • scrappy_day Said:

I LOVE the show Rizzoli and Isles!! I did not know the show was based on a book so now I will go find that author and check her out! Thanks for the tip.

The show is based on her earlier books. I know The Surgeon is on of them. I can't think of the other one off the top of my head. I loved those books and was so excited they were making a show out of it! I hope you enjoy the books!

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK

I could not get into Where the river ends.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to TraciK

Traci -
When did you make your goal of "27 books in 2012?
At the beginning of the year?
I'm just curious how much time you gave yourself. And if you don't mind my asking, how far have you gotten?
Oh, wait! Or is 27 the amount of books you have already read?

I want to make a goal for myself too, I see you can do that on Goodreads, but I want to wait until the beginning of a new year.

Edited by Doreena on 10-18-12 07:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics