Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Doreena

Doreen, glad you joined goodreads. I am still trying to find you.
I am still learning new things. So much you can do on it.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to 2xblessed

you can't find me?! hmmm...
well what's your UN? I will try to find you...

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Doreena

Carolyn Pentecost
What's yours?

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to 2xblessed

T-scraps, I enter a lot of the giveaways that I don't win. But, I have found the more frequent I visit, review, etc. the more I win. Right now tho, I am on a dry-spell of not winning. Hope it will turn around soon because I have entered for a lot of books that I really want!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:
Carolyn Pentecost
What's yours?

Okay I just sent you a friends request.
"Doreena" is my UN.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:
T-scraps, I enter a lot of the giveaways that I don't win. But, I have found the more frequent I visit, review, etc. the more I win. Right now tho, I am on a dry-spell of not winning. Hope it will turn around soon because I have entered for a lot of books that I really want!

I entered a lot too! And there is more I want to enter! I'm glad there is no limit!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Doreena

Not to crash the thread or anything, but do you ladies have any of the Magic Tree House books your children have outgrown, that you'd like to sell? My twins have discovered them and Im collecting some for them at home. If you do, please PM me. Im happy to pay for them and shipping of course.

Thanks!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to ScrappyMama6

no but i have lots of "Secret of Droon" books if your interested...

Edited by Doreena on 10-18-12 08:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Doreena

I'm currently alternating between several books.
The main ones are:

Grownup books:

Building Resilience in Children and Teens: Giving Kids Roots and Wings by Kenneth R. Ginsburg
Soup and Bread Cookbook: Building Community One Pot at a Time

The Accidental Caregiver: How I Met, Loved, and Lost Legendary Holocaust Refugee Maria Altmann

Wool Omnibus Edition by Hugh Howey(Wool series, books 1 - 5, dystopian sci fi)

Kid books:

Wonder by R. J. Palacio (Thanks again, Doreen! Son really likes it!) (EXCELLENT realistic fiction book about bullying, target age is 5th grade, main character has facial cranial abnormalities, I read this all the way through myself and now my second grade good reader and I are taking turns reading it to each other)

The Princess Bride

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Doreena

Doreena haven't heard of those, off to look them up.....

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
Traci -
When did you make your goal of "27 books in 2012?
At the beginning of the year?
I'm just curious how much time you gave yourself. And if you don't mind my asking, how far have you gotten?
Oh, wait! Or is 27 the amount of books you have already read?

I want to make a goal for myself too, I see you can do that on Goodreads, but I want to wait until the beginning of a new year.

Its not a goal, its how many books I have read so far this year. Last year I read 50. I'm behind this year. lol I start working on Monday so really won't have as much time to read.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to TraciK

I'm reading UnEnchanted. It was a free one from B&N. I believe its a YA book.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to TraciK

my 17 yr old son will read a book and then say "this was good! you should read it!" since im always looking for a new book to read i do...and i have to say for the most part he's right. some of those YA books are pretty good! that's how i discovered "Wonder". and i figure even if it isn't a "good" book at least it's something different.

Edited by Doreena on 10-20-12 08:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Erin in Okc

Downloaded Gone Girl yesterday. I haven't had a chance to start it yet. Working is sooo tiring!! lol

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to TraciK

I just finished an advanced copy of Just Remember To Breathe by Charles Sheehan-Miles. It is very good except for the crude language. I won the book on goodreads.com. Love getting advanced copies especially when they are signed by the authors!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to TraciK

• TraciK Said:
Downloaded Gone Girl yesterday. I haven't had a chance to start it yet. Working is sooo tiring!! lol

Tracy, I am reading Gone Girl too. I really like it so far but I didn't like the Amazon price.

I also finished Cleopatra A Life Story.
I enjoyed it but boy did I need a dictionary to get through it! I was so happy to see others had the same complaint as well as it being a little "school text bookish" at times. I would recommend it IF you like that sort of thing...non-fiction, biography, history.

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I didn't buy mine. I got it from the library. I'm too cheap to buy them. lo

New Kid On the Block
In response to TraciK

I'm reading Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. Very haunting.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
  • TraciK Said:

Tracy, I am reading Gone Girl too. I really like it so far but I didn't like the Amazon price.

I also finished Cleopatra A Life Story.
I enjoyed it but boy did I need a dictionary to get through it! I was so happy to see others had the same complaint as well as it being a little "school text bookish" at times. I would recommend it IF you like that sort of thing...non-fiction, biography, history.

Me three on Gone Girl! Getting close to halfway... enjoying it, but just not much time to read. I got my copy from paperbackswap.com. That's where I get most of my books.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to t-scraps

For those who have a Kindle and can finish a book within 14 days, I have a book I can loan, it's called On Atgate Hill.

Description: "Chronicles the post–Civil War life of a precocious Southern orphan using a slapdash patchwork of journal entries, letters, poems, recipes, songs, catechism and court records. Molly Petree, the daughter of a slain Confederate soldier, begins a diary on her 13th birthday in May 1872, near Hillsborough, N.C., at Agate Hill, the plantation of her legal guardian, Uncle Junius Hall. Seeing herself as "a ghost girl wafting through this ghost house," Molly falls under the spiteful devices of Selena, the scheming housekeeper, who marries a terminally ill Junius to inherit the plantation. Under Selena's watch, Molly is neglected, mistreated and raped before Simon Black, who fought alongside Molly's father, rescues her and enrolls her in the Gatewood Academy, where she becomes "an educated, fancy woman." After graduating, Molly marries sweet-talking Jacky, but tragedy dogs her: Jacky dies a particularly miserable death, their baby dies and when Molly returns to Agate Hill, she finds it in ruins. Molly's story is moving, but Smith's structure—the narrative's pieces are the contents of "a box of old stuff" found during Agate Hill's renovation—is needlessly contrived."

If you are interested in reading it, p.m. your e-mail address and I can loan it to you next week (I'm not on here on the weekends).

You will have seven days to accept the loan and it will remain on your kindle for 14 days. I don't want anything in return, just happy to share a book with other readers.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics