Username Post: Books, Books and more Books!!        (Topic#1537085)
2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to TraciK

If I could figure out how to "google" it, I would try that route. Maybe if I call the library, they might have an inkling of what book she is talking about. Not a lot to go on, is it?

Expert
In response to 2xblessed

Sorry I have never heard of that one. Good luck on your search! Maybe try B&N too. They might have an idea.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-11-13 03:37 PM
In response to scrappy_day

• 2xblessed Said:
Ok, I am posting this for a friend on another thread in case she is too busy or shy to ask.
Since I am a big mouth I will ask for her.
There is a book coming out soon about a girl who uses an old Girl Scout manual to help her get through her problems. My friend doesn't know the author or title. Anyone have any idea what book she is talking about?

There's one called Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman. Is that the one you are looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Girlchild-A-Novel-Tup elo-Hassman/...

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Vae

Dang, I finally started How to Kill a Demon in 10 days, today and its racy!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Vae

I've read a ton lately ...

The Pact by Jodi Picoult ... pretty good, perfect book for a plane trip

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls ... really harrowing memoir about her childhood ... very powerful

Breaking Night by Liz Murray ... another harrowing memoir, but really lovely too ... about a girl who grew up with 2 drug addicted parents, wound up homeless, and then got her act together and got into Harvard ... unbelievable

The Language of Flowers (can't remember the author) ... wonderful novel about a girl who uses flowers to turn her life around

all wonderful books, but I'm totally ready to read something light and brainless ...

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to madmatter

Jarvae, I can't say for sure, but it sure sounds like it! Thanks so much! I will pass the link on to her!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-12-13 09:12 PM
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls ... really harrowing memoir about her childhood ... very powerful

This has been on my shelf for quite some time... thanks for the reminder that I need to read it.

I just started Beautiful Creatures... several of my friends have read it.

I also read about 9 YA novels last week... I was having a free for all with %1 - $3 books on amazon.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Vae

Jarvae ... The Glass Castle is a quick read ... very compelling and easy to get into ... and definitely worth reading

Diva
In response to madmatter

I have to catch up with fun reading again! For the last year everything that I read has been related to cancer, diet, treatment, etc. Now is time to move on. ANy ideas? I want fun books to read...

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to bayamonesa1

bavamonesa1 check out Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray

Also, Bet Your Bottom Dollar by Karen Gillespie is a fun read. So are the rest of her writings! If you read them, I hope you will enjoy them!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to 2xblessed

I'm reading and loving Tiny Titan, a true story which is currently free for Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Titan-Small-Jour ney-ebook/dp...

"Author Ann Yurcek was 'just' a mom when her story begins with the birth of her daughter Becca. Becca surprised everyone with a rare genetic disorder called Noonan's syndrome. As Becca struggled to survive her family plunged into poverty. Their remarkable journey out of poverty is a story of it's own, but within the pages lie secrets much more important we all should know."

TraciK
TraciK 
Governor
TraciK
In response to Karen B

Our internet goes off tomorrow and we started moving yesterday. So, I won't be on until we figure out what we are going to do for internet. So, y'all keep reading in the mean time!!

Diva
In response to TraciK

Tiny Titan sounds like a great book. I have to find it so I can read it. Thanks for sharing!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-21-13 02:25 PM
In response to bayamonesa1

I just finished reading all 4 of the Beautiful Creatures books. I am not going to allow myself to start any new books until after the weekend though I need to have some scraptime and I won't do that if I'm sucked into a good book!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Vae

Traci, the author of Tiny Titans has another book due out this year, but as of yesterday Amazon didn't have it yet. I am hoping it is about their family adopting 5 siblings who had been separated in foster care.

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Karen B

The most recent book I've finished is Wined and Died by Cricket McRae. Second one I've read of hers from her home crafting themed murder mysteries. Thoroughly enjoy her books. Plenty of humor, some romance, not gruesome. Real craft recipes at the end.

One of several books I'm alternating between is The Legend of Eli Monpress. He's a charming, talented wizard and thief.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Karen B

I am still on my series kick. I finished 2 jack reacher books. Love that guy. The book guy not the tom cruise movie version.
I went back to the maximum ride series. I think it's book 4. The funny thing is I actually like the smartalick teenagers more now after a little break from them.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Gelidy Gelato

What is everyone reading?

Currently I am reading The Shadow of the Wind.
LOVE IT!

Karen B
Diva
Karen B
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I've now read 4 of Cricket McRae's homecrafting themed murder mysteries. Loved 3 of them, one just didn't grab my attention as well, will hunt down the others at my library.

Also read Backyard Dog, a rescue/shelter/rainbow bridge/irresponsible owners and breeders themed book. Can't recommend. Too depressing. Almost every dog had a miserable life. Really wanted to like the book as the author sounds like a wonderful person with a real heart for animals, but I need some happy in my animal stories.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Karen B

Arcadia by Lauren Groff.

"In the fields of western New York State in the 1970s, a few dozen idealists set out to live off the land, founding a commune centered on the grounds of a decaying mansion called Arcadia House. Arcadia follows this romantic utopian dream from its hopeful start through its heyday. Arcadia’s inhabitants include Handy, the charismatic leader; his wife, Astrid, a midwife; Abe, a master carpenter; Hannah, a baker and historian; and Abe and Hannah’s only child, Bit. While Arcadia rises and falls, Bit, too, ages and changes. He falls in love with Helle, Handy’s lovely, troubled daughter. And eventually he must face the world beyond Arcadia."

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics