Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Adhesive Debate        (Topic#1537213)
Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

What type of adhesive do you use for your lo's, cards, etc and why?

I use mono adhesive basically because its just what I was taught to use but is it the best?

hotroding scrapbooker
Diva
hotroding scrapbooker
In response to Ohio4HMom

I use Zots glue dots. Can get expensive though. I want to make my own glue dots but can't find the right glue in stores.

beckykay
Resident
beckykay
In response to Ohio4HMom

I use 3L E-Z Runner. I love this stuff! It goes on easy and is so strong!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Ohio4HMom

I use Xyron sticker maker(s) because it is great adhesive and it is easy. I also use the Glue Glider because again, it is easy to use and I like it. I use the Zig Pen for quick and small jobs. I also have other adhesive just because I am addicted to adhesive....everyone has their preference of adhesive and those are my choices....

ekip2
ekip2 
Expert
ekip2
  • ekip2 on 06-22-10 06:21 AM
In response to hotroding scrapbooker

When I use monoadhesive my stuff ends up falling off later on - I also make a lot of cards so thats a BIG problem LOL. If a page is in a page protector I don't think the mono falls off. But I seem to be making alot of mini alubms w/o page protectors so I gave up on my mono

I use the ATG 714 gun and other than lately (see my post below where I talk about a broken piece) I've had no trouble and it sticks like a dream

I also love love love scor-tape. Sometimes I use glue dots but yeah that dos get pricey. For little bitty things I either use the Xyron X or zig two way glue.

Actually I have 2 shoebox bins and a drawer of glues LOL - I get stuff on clearance whenever I see it so I always have lots of options on what glue to use. Somehow I just don't like spending the sb $$$ on glue - its so expensive!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to HisGEM

Love my mono adhesive and I found a place to get the refills pretty cheaply if you buy in bulk. I use the mono-adhesive for pics and paper and KI gloo or glue dots for heavy embellies.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to siameseplease

I've definitely noticed things falling off of my cards when I use the mono and the I used the zig pen on one of my lo's last week and it left a spot on it from smearing

I wished I would have taken my Xyron with me to the crop!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Ohio4HMom

I generally use glue sticks, the Elmers Photo Sticks..I've tried Uhu and Fiskars and those were awful...but I've had good luck with the Elmers.

I did 'pony up', spend $7 per roll and used permanent tape runner for dd's wedding invitations, only to see one on my friend's refrigerator falling apart! boo!

I'll stick to my glue sticks. I've been scrapping for a bout 6 years and haven't run into any issues with lo's falling apart.

also use glue dots minis for all embellies and love the glue dots for vellum

Edited by mjmone on 06-22-10 06:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 06-22-10 07:12 AM
In response to mjmone

I use the tombow mono adhesive as well, but only because that was the first tape runner I ever tried and it seemed to worked well enough and I'm comfortable with it. I buy the refills in three packs with a 50 percent off coupon so it's fairly economical. I ALWAYS buy the permanent adhesive, not the repositional one.

I have had a few things with the mono adhesive not hold, however. If I have something heavy on my layout like a large photo mat, then I use something other than the mono. You know, like stitching!!

Actually, good old fashioned photo tabs hold VERY tight and I've never had anything fall off with those. I buy the ones without the pesty blue tabs.

I use glue dots for buttons, if I don't sew them on.

baylorbear99
Tenant
baylorbear99
In response to beckykay

I also use the EZ runner by Scrapbook adhesives and I LOVE it. I've used others but I found this one is the easiest for me to use. I also hate messing with refillable ones.

tinacome
Veteran
tinacome
In response to baylorbear99

I used mono adhesive for a long time, but had problems with it not holding well enough on certain papers/items. Just not enough ooomph!

I use Zip Dry and the Glue Glider. I get them 40% off or more when there is a sale

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to tinacome

I used the same adhesives most of my scrapping “career” (I’m NOT a pro!), but over the past several months I’ve branched out to try some specialty adhesives. Here’s what I like to use:

Therm o web memory tape as my main adhesive. I’ve always used it and (unfortunately) I can’t find a less expensive alternative that I like as much. I’ve come to terms with it. For me, it’s like milk - I can’t live without it, so I spend almost 8 buck per gallon/roll. At least with therm o web, I can use a coupon! I will eventually get an ATG gun.

Terrifically tacky tape: for cards and envelopes, mini albums or anything that will be handled a lot. TTT has almost completely replaced glue dots for me, but I do still use glue dots for buttons and small heavier embellies.

Hot glue gun: almost everything that goes on a mini/altered project. Starting to use it on los more and more.

Aleens quick-dry or fast-tack. I don’t even know the difference between these 2. I have them both and usually use one of them when I would have reached for my zig 2-way pen. I find they are easier to control when they go on due to the pin-prick opening. I found my zig sometimes globbed up (I have the ball-point one- maybe others are better) and I also found I had to hold things down too long while waiting for it to dry. I also got some smearing with it as another poster said, but I presume Aleens would leave smears too- I just find I don’t make as many overglueing mistakes with Aleens.

Xyron X for things I’ve cut with my Slice or Cricut.

But… I recently got one of those sticky thumb tape rollers for free with a SB.com order, and I LOVE it! It’s doesn’t run quite as smoothly as my thermo web, but it is much, MUCH stickier. I’ve been using it on textured and glittered cs which never seems to stick well with tape runners, and guess what? It sticks with sticky thumb! I just ordered a bunch more and might even switch from the thermo web (warning for anyone with stocks in thermo web, they may go down if I stop using their adhesive!)

Edited by mercytiara on 06-22-10 08:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-22-10 09:13 AM
In response to Ohio4HMom

I've listed below the adhesives I use the most. Until I got my ATG, I 99% of the time used the mounting squares for all of my scrapbook pages. I will still use them a lot. They are flat and hold great. I've never had a problem with them coming lose.

The Zig pens (I use 2 sizes...one is like a ballpoint pen and the other is chisel tipped) are awesome for small Cricut cutouts.

I use Zots for dimensional embellishments that needs something to "gel" around them (such as a brad through the center of a flower).

I love pop dots to make things stand out too.

Hope that helps! You will find the adhesive that works best for you.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to LeeLo

I have to agree, sticky thumb is very strong! It came with an order...I might buy more. I also use 3D glue dots alot on my cards....

handmeastamp
Resident
handmeastamp
In response to Ohio4HMom

I used a few different things. I just ordered the Pink ATG that is releasing July 1st, so we'll see if that changes anything, but for now I really love my GGP

I use my Zig for small paper pieces, and my Glossy Accents for anything thick or heavy, like Grunge Board.

I try to stay away from mono...it always ends up falling off.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to handmeastamp

I use photo tabs or Mono Adhesive for pictures (depends on the paper/cardstock i'm putting the picture on. If it's on textured cardstock i may use dots

Dots for flowers or pictures or Diamond Glaze for embellis made of plastic/glass

Spray adhesive or brads for vellum

Edited by Just G on 06-22-10 09:53 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to handmeastamp

I have to look for both quality and price because I scrapbook a lot. In fact, when I'm home its about all I do and I don't work outside the home, although we travel a lot.

I scrapped over 600 pages in the past 2 1/2 years, so that is where the price is important.

For die cut letters and small pieces I use th Zig pens. I do not like the one you have to squeeze - I hated it so I use the normal Zig pens for detail work.

For pictures, mats, etc I use the square scrapbook adhesives - the 500 mounting squares in the box and I always but the Temporarily Repositionable.

If something is a little thicker or heavier or if I'm sticking to glitter paper I use the thin orange double-sided tape that comes on a roll or the glue dots. Those two items hold forever.

For room key cards (heavy plastic) and things like that - I always use the double sided tape that has the orange plastic you peel off.

A few months ago I was in Joannes or Michaels or Hobby Lobby - don't remember which and the boxes of mounting squares were half price so I bought all they had - 33 boxes for $1.25 each! I'm set for another month or so!

There are days I use an entire box!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to Henri Jean

I use double sided tape for pps, tacky liquid glue for embellies and Xyron 150 to make stickers out of alphas etc.

Expert
In response to SuperAllyFan

ATG for pictures, paper, etc.

Xyron for die cuts, especially letters.

Glue dots for some ribbon and buttons.

Lately I've also been using a brand called "Darice" that I got in the Archivers Hot Spot bin awhile back and I really like that for some odds and ends.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Henri Jean

Oh my! you DO scrap a lot!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics