Username Post: ? about crackle paint        (Topic#1537251)
Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D

I just bought Tim Holtz's grundgeboard & distress crackle paint. Any tips I need to know that the package doesn't mention? I've never used it.

Also any advice/tips on using the grungeboard?

Thanks for any input in advance...
Lauri

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Lauri D

It is pretty simple. If it is too thick, you can put a little water in it.

It takes a while to dry and the crackle is pretty small, once it starts to dry you can heat gun it, which makes the cracks a bit bigger. I like to rub some Distress ink over the top after it is dry to highlight the cracks.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Manda_K

Thanks I'll have to try the heat, it's starting to dry and the cracks are very small, thanks!

handmeastamp
Resident
handmeastamp
In response to Lauri D

You're going to have a blast! I love that stuff Manda K pretty much covered the basics. It's messy and goopy, but gives great finished products

My favorite is the Rock Candy Crackle Paint. Totally clear crackle. I use it all the time....
Products Referenced in This Post:

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to handmeastamp

Check out Tim Holtz's website at www.timholtz.com. He's got viedos on both of these products and tips and tricks too.

S.Baker
Idol
S.Baker
In response to godschild94

You can add color to your grundgeboard and then use the rock candy to add that crackle look and some distress ink after is dry, or you can buy colored crackle paint.

ScrapperSara22
Guru
ScrapperSara22
In response to S.Baker

The thicker you apply the crackle to your embellishment, the longer and "chunkier" the cracks will be. The thinner you apply it, the quicker it will dry and the lines will be finer.

You can also rub distress ink over the crackle paint once it's dry, then mini-mist it off and the distress ink will stay in the cracks.

I also recommend watching the videos! They're a big help!

Love, a Crackle-Head

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ScrapperSara22

Yeah, I LOOOOOOVE the Rock Candy, You can put that over anything....EXCEPT rubons...I tried an experiment and failed....it could have been the rub on, but it all peeled up and cracked...not what I wanted!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Manda_K

I am a new scrapbooker and just ordered his book...his work is awesome! After reading your posts I guess I know I will be spending more $$$ on products! Any suggestions other than the candy as a MUST HAVE?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Sharain

Distress Inks...as many colors as you can possibly get.

Idea-ology...little metal flowers, keys, etc...

Masks...He makes rockin masks for glimmer mists, inks and such.

Distress Stickles...they are SO COOL!!

Pretty much, if it has Tim's name on it, it is good stuff.

Edited by Manda_K on 06-25-10 06:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Manda_K

I just jumped on the Tim train myself and I can't wait to get my new goodies! I ordered 2 colors of distress ink and some grungeboard. After watching his video on the grunge I decided it was a must have - it looks like so much fun to work with! His masks are pretty awesome, I have a couple mini ones that I've been experimenting with lately. I think I'm going to have to try the crackle paint next!

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to Smashley

Maybe you ladies can help. I painted a small wooden box with crackle paint. It looked terrific, but the crackle paint just "fell off" the box. Any ideas why and suggestions on how to avoid this?

RobinH
RobinH 
Veteran
RobinH
In response to ASiverson

I love all of Tim's stuff. If you can get the Grunge Paper and the distressed flower die, it makes a great rose. He demoed that here at a show and I fell in love with the technique. Grunge board works great with dies, too.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ASiverson

• ASiverson Said:
Maybe you ladies can help. I painted a small wooden box with crackle paint. It looked terrific, but the crackle paint just "fell off" the box. Any ideas why and suggestions on how to avoid this?

You need to prime or prep some things to take the crackle so it doesn't flake off. Regular acrylic paint works smashing.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
  • ASiverson Said:

You need to prime or prep some things to take the crackle so it doesn't flake off. Regular acrylic paint works smashing.

Manda - Thank you! I am going to try again tomorrow and paint the box first. Annette

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics