Username Post: Tsukineko Dew Drops or ColorBox Cat's eyes?        (Topic#1537253)
Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
Diva
Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha

Hi everyone! I am looking to buy new inks for my acrylic stamps. I am debating between Tsukineko's Dew Drops and Colorbox's Cat's Eye Inks. Any suggestions? Also, what is the difference between the the different lines of Dew Drops? Thanks in advance for you help!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Luv My Babiez on 07-10-10 12:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-22-10 07:20 PM
In response to Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha

Not much help here, I don't have a lot of stamps, but I have some of both, and other brands, and I like them all.

The Cat's Eye *chalk* pads seem to dry out pretty fast, but they're very pretty colors. It's really nice that you can get 6 colors for less than 10 bucks and I love that versatility, but the small size of the pads means they'll run out faster.

The Tsukineko have a deeper pad, and they have a lot of ink per pad, so it's easy to overload a stamp. Their metallic-y colors (gold, silver, etc.) seem to be quite good and relatively unique.

I am becoming quite fond of the Tim Holtz Distress ink pads. I hate brand names and brand love so it takes a lot for me to endorse them ... but these are good ink pads, nice colors and great saturation.

I also have SEI ink pads, and Versacolor ... all good. Again, size of the pad tells you how much ink they can hold, how quickly they can dry up, etc.

I would never limit myself to one brand, but if you're looking to buy a bunch at once I would suggest examining the color range and finish (bright, chalky, metallic) that you want, and go in the direction that gives you the most bang for your buck.

Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
Diva
Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
In response to stick

Thank you for your input. I have all of the Tim Holtz Distress Inks and I love them for distressing & inking edges but not for stamping. I've tried a few other brands and I like them but I don't love them. The two brands I mentioned above were recommended to me but are not available at my local craft store; I can only get them online. That is why I'm looking for suggestions before I order a whole array of colors. Thanks again!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-22-10 07:51 PM

That's funny - I'm really loving the Distress for stamping, I don't do a lot of distressing. Maybe just get a couple of each and try them, see how you like them before getting a whole range?

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to stick

I would strongly urge you to get the dew drops. I too have had problems using water-based inks on stamps and Tsukineko has been my knight in shining armour! I love the dew drops for stamping because they create clean crisp images and the dew drop shape is so easy to work with! I love versamagic dew drops because they give you a more chalky matte look (not unlike cats eyes) and I also love the brilliance dew drops (especially the metallic ones) because they give you a more pearly look. Try some! You won't regret it!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I actually like Cat's Eye stamp pads but I have found
- they are hard to find. Just when I get used to a color no one seems to have it. I have had to special order certain colors. They are SO hard to find I keep thinking they have been discontinued.
- in the past, the pads have separated from the plastic holder. No big deal you just glue it back but it's a pill.
- not all colors seem to have the same amount of ink. Some seem to go on forever whiles others dry up quickly. It may be because there is an uneven turnover in the store. Some colors turnover quickly, other sit around for months.

These days I would buy stayzon and Tim Holt's distress ink instead of Cat's eye BUT
Tsukineko has VERY good metallic inks.

Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
Diva
Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics