Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What is the best paper trimmer to use?        (Topic#1537415)
blue_cow27
Resident
blue_cow27

The paper trimmer I have is one of the As Seen On TV ones, my dad bought it. It is awful! It doesn't cut straight and it frustrates me so much! I want a good paper trimmer, and was wondering which one's the best (and affordable).

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-26-10 04:51 AM
In response to blue_cow27

My favorite is:

Te Fiskars Rotary - it has changable blades. The other trimmer that you will about a lot is th Making Memories one.

Both of these are rotary and if you have been using one that is just the little blade and slides, there will be a learning period on when to stop your cut, but well worth it.

riverroadrn
Diva
riverroadrn

go to Tuesday Mornings,,or some other store and look for Fiskars, they have all kinds and prices and are good trimmers. I use a Tonic trimmer but it is a little bit higher.

lstory 
Mayor
In response to riverroadrn

I've never tried another trimmer besides my Fiskars rotary desktop, but I've been happy with it. It's a little pricey, but less so if you use a coupon.

Lisa
Products Referenced in This Post:

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to lstory

You'll probably hear about how the Fiskars ones don't cut straight either (mine didn't - I hated that thing!), but I'm pretty sure those were the OLD ones as I've heard great things about the newest Fiskars.

After giving up on my Fiskars many years ago I got the MM trimmer which I LOVE! I got it with a 40% off coupon, but even the full price is completely worth it. The only things I don't like about it are 1) you can't cut out the middle of a paper (like if you wanted to cut out a square in the middle of a sheet and save the middle for something else), and 2) it doesn't have any of the decorative blades. But it cuts straight, the blade is always sharp, and it'll cut even the tiniest hair-size sliver of paper off an edge. You can also use it folded in half if you aren't keen on the big size.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Resident
In response to scraprabbit

Fiskar's Rock Paper trimmer, or the x-acto laser trimmer. Scrapbook.com used to carry both, but I don't think they carry either anymore. I've been scrapbooking for 13 years, and these are the BEST trimmers! I prefer the Rock Paper Trimmer because the arm locks down and it's easy to trim even the tiniest pieces.
There is a black and silver Fiskar's that is exactly the same as the Rock Paper trimmer, only it has extra blade storage instead of an mp3 dock. I would have got it if the one I got on ebay wasnt so cheap!

ashtonsmommy
Governor
ashtonsmommy

• scraprabbit Said:
You'll probably hear about how the Fiskars ones don't cut straight either (mine didn't - I hated that thing!), but I'm pretty sure those were the OLD ones as I've heard great things about the newest Fiskars.

After giving up on my Fiskars many years ago I got the MM trimmer which I LOVE! I got it with a 40% off coupon, but even the full price is completely worth it. The only things I don't like about it are 1) you can't cut out the middle of a paper (like if you wanted to cut out a square in the middle of a sheet and save the middle for something else), and 2) it doesn't have any of the decorative blades. But it cuts straight, the blade is always sharp, and it'll cut even the tiniest hair-size sliver of paper off an edge. You can also use it folded in half if you aren't keen on the big size.

I like mine too, however I am on my second one because the lines rubbed off and now the one they sent me has also rubbed off so I am wondering if they will replace it a second time?!?!?! It have had it longer than the first one before the lines rubbed off but it is getting annoying to have to start to guess my measurements!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to ashtonsmommy

The old Fiskars with the little blade was always cutting crooked for me. And it seemed once I changed the blades, it wasn't going to do me any good anymore. So now I just use mine for scoring my cards.

I now use the Fiskars Rotary Trimmer. I've had mine for two years now and I love it. I do wish it was smaller so it would be easier to take to crops but other than that, I love it.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-26-10 08:27 PM
In response to fknapoleon

I use the Creative Memories trimmer. I've had it several years and it does a great job. I also have their wavy trimmer.

Did you have that As Seen On TV one with the different blades and the light? LOL...I bought that one at HL. It didn't cut straight at all...hated the thing! I gave it away.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to LeeLo

I'm with Sarah on the MM trimmer,,,,My 9 year old grandson liked it so much, I got him one of his own for Hanukkah last year,,,,,

however,,,,,you know the saying,,,,,

2 scrappers,,,,,,3 opinions

afilatreau
Pro
afilatreau
In response to CommaHolly

Another vote for the MM trimmer. Love mine!

scrapinmomof4
Veteran
scrapinmomof4
In response to afilatreau

Fiskars rotary trimmer all the way! Best cutter I've ever had by far.
I still use my older CM cutter but usually only when I pack a few pages to do while I have downtime at work.
My old fiskars paper trimmer never had a problem with not cutting straight. Matter of fact my DD still uses it to this day. Now this thing is over 10 yrs old. I've replaced the blade only 2 times over the life of the cutter, so I'd say I got my money for that one for sure!

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• CommaHolly Said:
I'm with Sarah on the MM trimmer,,,,My 9 year old grandson liked it so much, I got him one of his own for Hanukkah last year,,,,,

I thought that was Jewish people...

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

one that i really like is the fiskars. it cuts well and the blades are really easy to change.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• scraprabbit Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:

I thought that was Jewish people...

It is but this is also appropriate

however, if I am Jewish AND a scrapper, I guess that makes me extra opinionated

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman

Whatever brand of trimmer you go with, get a rotary style trimmer. The ones with the little v-blades are terrible. I have the Making Memories one and I love it. What sold me on it is that it is a self-sharpening blade. So you never have to replace the blade and it always cuts cleanly.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to cat_woman

I love my Fiskars trimmers. I use the smaller one for crops and tight spaces, and the larger rotary one when I have room to spread out.

I do not like the Fiskars by-pass trimmer, or any guillotine (sp) blade trimmer. I always get crooked cuts with that type.

I also have the MM trimmer, but prefer the Fiskars. My MM trimmer started to squeal badly, and MM replaced it. A few weeks later, it started to squeal again. I just can't have that!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Luvmyfam

Uhhhhhhhhhhh Jennifer,,,,a little WD40 on the sliding bar, just a few drops, and run the blade back and forth a few times, then rub the track well with a soft cloth,,,,,

problem solved,,,,,

I use a WD40 pen and run the nib of it right along that indent on the rail,,,,,,,both sides,,,,

I think it cost me 3 bucks at Lowes, and I've had it over a year,,,,,

blue_cow27
Resident
blue_cow27
In response to LeeLo

• LeeLo Said:
I use the Creative Memories trimmer. I've had it several years and it does a great job. I also have their wavy trimmer.

Did you have that As Seen On TV one with the different blades and the light? LOL...I bought that one at HL. It didn't cut straight at all...hated the thing! I gave it away.

Yeah, it's the one with the different blades and light. It's horrible, I hate it! I'll just give it back to my dad once I get a new one LOL. He can do whatever he wants with it!

blue_cow27
Resident
blue_cow27

Thanks ladies! Looks like I'll be looking at getting either a Fiskars one of a Making Memories one!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics