Username Post: No more ACM at Durgin Park Ports.        (Topic#1537446)
PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom

I was just there a couple of weeks ago, drove by after that and today when we went, the only thing left in the store was the Coke vending machine in the middle of the floor, still plugged in.

They just recently revamped/re-organized some sections of the store.

Now completely empty.
Anyone know what happened?
Maybe their lease was up and decided to pull out or just was not renewed?
Poor workers!

The only good thing is that I will be saving tons of money, but might spend it elsewhere!

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to PokeyMom

I KNOW!

One of my friends told me and I didn't believe her....had to drive down for myself and sure enough it was all closed up and the sign was down. I think remember reading somewhere on the internet that they were going to close under-performing stores across the whole country.

But, whenever I was in there it was fairly busy..???

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to pieces of me

That is what I thought, an under performing store, and naturally closing up before a July 31 fiscal year end to make everything neat and tidy for the IRS.

So they automatically got a store upgrade only to be closed down quickly. Seems so silly for the stamping aisle looked great with it's new look.

That was the only place I really went to most of the time I needed something. My husband loved that place to get supplies for his train layouts (paint, balsa wood, scrapbook paper, poster board, etc, he bought more than me at times!)
He was shocked. My kids were elated -- LOL -- no more store standing around waitingm or having them buy an item with a coupon. Well that was till I told them no more art supplies, then the reality hit them.

I did get doll house building supplies there but when they raised the prices 100%, I had to stop buying. For instance, a normal door costs about $15., which at one time, that was their price. BUT the doors went up to $30 or more so even with the 50% off coupon, you really did not get a deal. Not everyone used the coupons but I guess more than enough did to raise the prices that high and maybe lower their profits. They also downsized the doll house department considerably during one of their make over sweeps.

Yes, the sign came down pretty fast!
It looked like they had some sort of pro team in there boxing up stuff for it to be cleaned out like that. I did not even see a store closing sale. Was there a quick one between the time I last went and went again to find it gone?
Maybe they sold their inventory to someplace like Big Lots??

I hope I run into a worker from there somewhere and ask.
I feel so bad for them because they must have received short notice also. I hope they all found jobs.

I still can recall my screaming excitiment when I saw they were coming to town -- I still hear the groans of my children in the car -- "Mommy what is wrong with you???".
Now I cry -- never knew I was so addicted to that place. Where are my Christmas presents going to come from now????? My list will be short this year.

Some store by the name of Savers is going to open up next to Joanns where the Linen's and Things was 9/16. I think they are a thrift store chain.
One opened in Nashua earlier this year -- article.

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to PokeyMom

I was there today, Home Goods is moving into the former ACMoore store.

I don't know when they are opening. The sign said they were coming at this point.

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to PokeyMom

I miss the ACMoore over there. I don't like driving to Manchester and the worst part is, I have a coupon from their rewards program. grrrr

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to kirasmommy

Yes, Salem or Manchester is closest to me.
I do not know if there are any in MA -- will have to check that out.

Now to travel means strict planned shopping so not to waste time since travel time is consuming.

I am surprised that Home Goods did not take up the former Pet Smart shop but maybe they did not need that much space. Retail space is so pricey.

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to PokeyMom

There is an ACMoore in Peabody near the Super Target. I use to go there before the Manchester one opened. Space is expensive! Glad I don't have a business to house!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to PokeyMom

FYI Update -- I know, two years later.

I recently ran into one of the former managers of this fine establishment, which I still miss very much.

It seems that this closing was a shock to them also. It came down to the cost of retail space and Home Goods was willing to pay more for the space than ACMoore. That is why they made a quick exit, they really did not have any notice or choice. The workers were compensated with two months pay (I worried about them!) and some ended up on unemployment when the compensation ran out as they could not find jobs that paid equal or better than they had been making.

All in all, I suppose hopefully everything has worked out for everyone by now.

I still miss them!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics