Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you organize your 12x12 paper        (Topic#1538363)
Charlena
Idol
Charlena

I have alot of paper.I do use cropper hoppers. But thats not working. Let me know your ideas.

convintojm
Resident
convintojm
In response to Charlena

I like to keep my collections together so I put all my paper and small embellishments in really large ziplocs or smaller ziplocs if they are smaller pads of paper. They can then be stored in plastic containers or baskets. I know a lot of people sort by color which I could see working.

Tenant
In response to convintojm

I keep mine in the iris bookcase things. Each one holds about 6 iris containers. Then I have extra containers that keep empty so I can toss projects in there. I have 3 containers for cardstock and the rest are prints. Semi separated by type. Disney, Floral, Scouts, ect.

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to TishieMae

Organizing---what's that?

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 07-08-10 03:53 PM
In response to TishieMae

This question comes up a lot and there's no right answer. Whatever you find works for you.

For me, I categorize patterned paper by manufacturer and sub-divide by line. I keep pp in cropper hoppers, hanging 12 x 12 files and Iris containers.

I also keep embellishments by manufacturer when I have a lot of stuff by one company, ie all Cosmo Cricket embellies together, all BG embellies together, all Prima together, etc.

Cardstock I organize by color in a cropper hoppers and keep black, white and kraft cs together in an Iris container.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jeneppers

I have large shelves, so I just stack on the shelves based on theme, which I labeled on the shelves,,,,

I have stacks for children/masculine/femini ne/vintage/holiday/elegan t and a stack of plain cs, sorted by color,,,,,

as well as a stack of paper that I am working on using this minute,,,,,,so if I am making Hanukkah cards, I pull out all my Hanukkah paper or anything that might GO with that (blue, white, silver paper) and stack it in that pile,,,,,If I'm making a mini album, all the paper I want to use is in that stack,,,,,as well as a bucket of embellies next to the pile,,,,,

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to CommaHolly

I scrap by color not by manufacturer so I file them in 12x12 file folders that I keep in an old cropper hopper hanging file box

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to Ohio4HMom

By manufacturer. Once upon a time, I had them sorted by color, only to soon forget what I had. I tend to scrap & make purchases by favorite companies & or themes, so this system especially works best for me.

Tip - Sort your supplies however you scrap (color, theme, product, etc.)

{P - Paper Storage} By KellyCali

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to KellyCali

I use stackable trays. I have my solid paper separated into color groups, and my PP all fit onto one shelf.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to Luvmyfam

I have my PP by color, theme, and fav manufacturers in 10 plastic 12x12 boxes with the lid and box all one piece. I used Dymo Labels to mark the boxes with the catagories in each box. I divided the 4 or so categories in each box with 12x12 cardboard pieces so I can quickly get to the section I need when I open the box.
I have one for scraps. I keep a few extra of these for large projects to hold all the "stuff" while I'm working on a specific large group of photos like a trip. For other smaller kits I use the 12 x 12 plastic envelopes

My cardstock is in the standing cropper hopper 12x12 paper holders, one is ROYGBIV colors, and one is shades of white, black, brown, and grey

I like being able to look at the colors from the top and grab what I need quickly for matting, use as a page background, or for the cricut or sizzix

suescraftstuff
Expert
suescraftstuff
In response to jeneppers

• jeneppers Said:
Organizing---what's that?

Hmmmmmm????? organizing??? that's me too... Mine are on a shelf. lol. (see my scraproom !!! ) But at least I know where they all are... lol

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 07-09-10 03:47 AM
In response to suescraftstuff

• Quote:
By manufacturer. Once upon a time, I had them sorted by color, only to soon forget what I had.

Same here. When I first started scrapping, I organized by color. But then as I began collecting paper by manufacturer, I noticed it was much easier to organize by manufacturer. I could remember what lines I had, but I couldn't remember what colors I had. Also, papers by manufacturers (across the lines) tend to go together. For example, any Cosmo Cricket paper from any CC line tends to go with any other Cosmo Cricket paper. The manufacturere uses the same tone of color in its paper. This is true of many manufacturers.

The other problem with organizing by color is that a lot of papers don't have a predominant color, then you end up with separate categories for floral, stripes, dots, neutrals, holiday, baby, etc.

But I definitely agree with the above poster than you should organize the way you scrap. If you scrap by looking for a green piece of paper, for example, then you'll probably find it easier to organize by color.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to IzzyB

scrapping by manufacturer is completely totally foreign to me,,,,I'm not criticizing or putting it down, I'm really interested in how it works,,,,I can't imagine doing it, and I've never heard of it,,,,,so often I mix my manufacturers anyway,,,although Izzy is right that matching tones is harder that way,,,

so,,,,I totally agree,,,,,organize the way you scrap for sure!!! Your brain works the way your brain works!

Donna Coughlin
Veteran
Donna Coughlin
In response to CommaHolly

I have my cardstock by color on a rack, but my pP I have them organized in used FedEX boxes. I cut the sides diagaonally half way down. I have them sorted by mfg for the most part, but I have one box of mixed papers. The boxes are free and green!

Ashley_Jenna
Resident
Ashley_Jenna
In response to Donna Coughlin

I keep my cardstock organized by color in wire racks. I haven't found the right way to organize my pp yet.

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364
In response to Ashley_Jenna

I am completely differnet - I love the organizational tools that you can get, but I can't aways find them or afford the ones I like. I have a bunch of paper packs and solids and PP - I however used a Milk crate, that was washed and dried. It fits all my paper perfectly, and I can stack them.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-09-10 06:10 AM
In response to Peg364

I have hanging files that I keep in a big dresser type file cabinet...I keep all my cardstock by color in a separate area and then organize my pp by brands (Basic Grey, etc) although I do put some themes together, baby, holidays, etc.

CroppinCabin
Resident
CroppinCabin
In response to Huskymom

I have been scrapbooking for over 10 years and organization has always been a challenge. I am trying something new, and so far it seems to be working. I have purchased the paper storage systems by Paper Studio. I have one sleeve for each color.... Within the sleeve I have 4 dividers used to separate by size and printed verses solids. So far so good, but still struggling with the scraps. I also have 2 large storage racks with 12x12 folders. Those are divided by themes, so regardless of the manufacturer, anything pertaining to a particular theme (paper, stickers, embellies, etc...) is at my fingertips. It makes choosing my embellies easier, and clean up is now a snap.... Hope this helps.

Edited by CroppinCabin on 07-09-10 06:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Inkiepinkies
Expert
Inkiepinkies
In response to CroppinCabin

We built two sets of Target cubes, giving me 12 cubbies. We then put heavy quilting template material and cut it to the inside of the cubby, then put the paper on top of that and labeled the color with a hanging tag for reference. I found this to be my best solution because my bottom papers were sort of waffle looking by being on the cubby's wire.

I sort my papers like this: Reds, next shelf red patterned, then the pinks and their papers, then the orange and that patterned paper...through the rainbow but adding turquoise and turquoise patterned papers, earth tones and white-greys and black. The last cubby holds multicolored papers.

My holiday papers are on stacking 12 X 12 stacking shelves.

You don't want to even know how the 8.5 X 11 are stored, but it is like the 12 X 12 but in a brochure rolling cart.

I am a definite paper addict.

Nancy

Charlena
Idol
Charlena
In response to Inkiepinkies

wow ladies you have some great ideas.
O.k going my manufactor is not gonna happen as I cant remember all that. I do like doing it buy color and then spots for things like Stripes, dots, stars ect.. might try that today. Thanks for the ideas ladies.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics