Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Starting with nothing but a few tools...        (Topic#1538681)
New Kid On the Block

I'm starting over after a long break from scrapbooking. I have a few tools, but I think I know what I want in that department.

I've found a lot of patterned paper that I love. But what about basic cardstock? I feel like I should have a basic supply of neutral colors. What do you like to keep a supply of on hand, in addition to pattern paper? I'm thinking of basic white (but do I want something textured?), black, kraft...

Is there anything else basic that you couldn't scrap without?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Ellowyn

I use a TON of white and kraft. I use a lot of cardstock, period!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Here Kitty

I use a lot of cardstock also. I rarely use patterned.

I tend to use a lot of black.

I buy multi-variety packs of cardstock when I find good deals. I like the DCWV textured cardstock stacks. Nice solid colors, and usually a good price.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Here Kitty

I use mostly solid colored cardstock and just a little patterned paper. I wait til M's has their cardstock packs on sale and then I stock up. Usually do this one time per year and I am good to go all year, at least for solid CS.

Although I have a stash of patterned paper, I still prefer solids the most.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm a big fan of textured cardstock, and I always have a good supply of white, cream, kraft, brown, and black on hand. And blues and purples since I tend to gravitate towards those colors.

You really don't need a lot to get started. I couldn't live without a good trimmer, scissors, markers (a couple colors to start) and adhesive.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Ellowyn

take the pattern paper with you and pick out a few matching solid color papers.
then throw in a few sheets of white & black.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Thanks for the suggestions! I will get a small variety as I don't know what I'll use the most.

jeneppers
Veteran
jeneppers
In response to Ellowyn

Someone once gave me this tip so I'll pass it on to you--

Look in your closet!! The colors you wear and tend to buy will be the colors you like and tend to use in your scrapping.

I know this may seem strange, but I found it true to me. I like and wear a lot of red and pinks. I also run out of red and pink paper often.

I try to keep a few of every color on hand by buying stacks like the others said, but I'll buy extra colors that I use often (like red)

Welcome back to scrapping!! good Luck!

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to jeneppers

• jeneppers Said:

Look in your closet!! The colors you wear and tend to buy will be the colors you like and tend to use in your scrapping.

I know this may seem strange, but I found it true to me. I like and wear a lot of red and pinks. I also run out of red and pink paper often.

I try to keep a few of every color on hand by buying stacks like the others said, but I'll buy extra colors that I use often (like red)

Great tip. I was going to suggest to get colors based on the type of photos you'd scrap. Bold colors for boys, pink & purple for girls, neutrals and greens for nature, grey and blacks for city scapes, jewel tones for drama, neutrals and muted colors for heritage pages. Of course you can always use any color for any type lo. So just go with what you are drawn to.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to jeneppers

• jeneppers Said:

I'd say, look in your family's closets.

I am usually scrapping photos of my family, not myself, so my layouts would coordinate with their wardrobe. I am typically the one behind the camera.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Bxr-Linda

Have to agree about the paper stacks! I got one from my LSS-dont remember the brand, but it was $20 and has a couple of sheets of about 50 colors with extras of the basic, black, white, cream and kraft. M's also has packs of 12x12 neutrals, 25 sheets for 5.99. So once you get going and know what you might use a lot of you can find some great deals out there! But it is always nice to have a bunch of colors on hand-just in case!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 07-14-10 11:37 AM
In response to MrsAnnieS

You could go far in scrapping with just white, black and kraft cs. I prefer Bazzill brand, though it's a bit more costly. You can buy it in both texture and smooth. The American Crafts brand is good too.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Ellowyn

I'd go with some white, cream, black and kraft cardstock -- textured. The textured just seems to look better on my pages, IMO. Then you can start matching your pp and adding colors! Oh, boy, what a rush that will be!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to meezerpleaser

what is KRAFT????????????? puzzled,,,,,

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to CommaHolly

Ah, kraft.

And check out the new kraft collection from BG! Too cool! I want their white pack too.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scraprabbit

soooooo it's BEIGE?????

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 07-15-10 05:42 AM
In response to CommaHolly

Holly, it's almost like the butcher paper, the kind they wrap your meat in.

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to Tivi

Holly, I was wondering too and was about to do a search! so, Thanks Sarah!

Love Tivi's description, butcher paper!

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to JediScrapToo

I would start with a multi-colored pack of paper and then keep and eye on what you use and buy more of that. Bazzill and DCWV have good stacks.

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to kariyava

Don't forget to get those coupons from M's and J's and HL! They usually have 40% off non-sale items and the pads are eligible for that!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics