Username Post: Fiskars Shape Cutter        (Topic#1539231)
Mo_Mamacita
New Kid On the Block
Mo_Mamacita

I hate my Fiskars Shape Cutter.
I tried using it for cutting circles (photos, cardstock, paper), and could not figure out how to use the thing correctly. I made a mess and in the end used scissors.

Any hints or tricks or was this not a good purchase?
Products Referenced in This Post:

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to Mo_Mamacita

First makes sure the bottom of the template is down and not the top down. Next get the swivel blade going the correct direction, then use even pressure and that's all there is to it.

lylacfey
Resident
lylacfey
In response to rockmom

Go to Fiskars web site and watch the videos. The videos are a big help. I love my shape cutter but it took some practice. The videos were a huge help. There are some good ones on You Tube also. Now, I am a pro with that thing. I have several beautiful templates I use often.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to lylacfey

I have owned them for three or more years before I recently used them for the first time. I really liked how the shapes turned out.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to dotfree

Make sure the Word fiskars is facing up and not down. I have a cricut now, But I still love and use my fiskars shape cutter.

Tammy Sue
Expert
Tammy Sue
In response to debby_westbrook

It takes some practice before you get it right. And I still find that I have to hold the template down really tight (do make sure it's facing the right direction!) and go over the same spots again and again until I feel each piece portion of the paper "release". You will know what that means when you feel it.

Pastor Joyce
Tenant
Pastor Joyce
In response to Tammy Sue

There's a wee bit of a learning curve for using the Shape Cutter, but I absolutely love mine. Don't give up! You'll get the hang of it soon.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-23-10 04:00 PM
In response to Pastor Joyce

I'm sorry I can't help you but if you don't get the hang of it, invest in the Creative Memories circle cutter. It is "idiot-proof" and you will love it. It is a little expensive but worth every penny. It also has other shapes like - ovals, waves, elegant. I bought mine eleven years ago and have never regret it.

Good luck.

Mo_Mamacita
New Kid On the Block
Mo_Mamacita
In response to AK Teddy Bear

Thanks all!
I will definitely check out the videos. Great idea! I'll also need to check to make sure I'm using the appropriate side of the template...

Even though I couldn't get the Fiskars to work for me this time, my page turned out FABULOUS! Woo! (It was only my second one!)

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Mo_Mamacita

I love mine.

When using the templates, make sure the templates are right side up (you should be able to read the Fiskars name).

If not using the templates, then keep the orange bottom on the cutter.

Play with the blade so that it is adjusted to the correct height.

Hold the cutter like you would hold a mouse.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Luvmyfam

Oh....I almost forgot....these cutters were not designed to cut photos or heavy cardstock. You can still cut those items, but you need to go over them more than once to allow the cut to go through the thickness of the photo/cs.

lylacfey
Resident
lylacfey
In response to Luvmyfam

I forgot another tip too. Before you start cutting your shape. Run your blade over the mat like in a straight line. It does something like "home" the blade. It really works. Since I learned that tip my cuts come out great. I learned that tip from Julie on Scrapbook Memories. She has a Ph.D with those shape cutters. I swear she does.

Claggy
Claggy 
Mayor
Claggy
In response to lylacfey

I always adhere my paper/photo to the cutting mat with removeable glue dots, before I cut. This keeps the paper from moving. I find this technique gives me better cuts.

Jordannichole
Guru
Jordannichole
In response to Claggy

The one I have is attached. I think I got a broken one, but I HATE it!! Don't know about the Fiskars Shape Cutter.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Jordannichole on 07-31-10 06:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics